Home

Questions about PC dedicated servers

TK2216UKG

I've been trying to find answers to these, hopefully someone can help. My apologies if these are dumb questions.

My XP machine that's running the server has DirectX 9.0 installed. When I start the server running and friends and I try to connect to it over the Internet (I play using a PS2), we can't see the server listed. What am I doing wrong?

Also, if I run a dedicated PC server, can players on different gaming platforms use it at the same time? So could some XBox owning friends play online against PC and PS2 players?

Thanks!

Originally posted by TK2216UKG

My XP machine that's running the server has DirectX 9.0 installed. When I start the server running and friends and I try to connect to it over the Internet (I play using a PS2), we can't see the server listed. What am I doing wrong?

Is your server behind a firewall? You'll need to open the correct ports to get it to work and be in the PS2s game list. See the 'Firewall Ports Question' Thread http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136364

Also are you sure that you have downloaded the PC dedicated server for PS2 and not the one for PC - they are different.

Originally posted by TK2216UKG

Also, if I run a dedicated PC server, can players on different gaming platforms use it at the same time? So could some XBox owning friends play online against PC and PS2 players?

Nope players can only play agaisnt players on the same platform - it's a shame I know, but that's the way it goes!

Thanks a lot for the reply, mate.

Well, I'm sure the firewall ports are open because I even experimented with opening all ports... Nothing.

I guess the answer lies with your reply about the dedicated server. I've been running it on my PC thinking that all and sundry could play on it regardless of platform... :rolleyes:

I find it really bizarre that multiple platforms can't play against each other... I mean, it's the same gameplay surely? So long as everyone's playing the same game map what's the problem? A weird omission IMHO.

Thanks again!

Archived