Home

Server admin etiquette

TK2216UKG

I run my dedicated PS2 server UKGarrisonTrainingGround whenever I can, usually between 6am and 10pm UK time. I've configured it with a max of 6 players due to my only having a 0.5Mb ADSL.

Now, if I fancy a game and the server's full what's an acceptable thing to do? I don't want to kick everyone off the server just so I can play...

Sorry, new to this and just want to get it right. :)

lol, a position I have found myself in many times trying to get into my server .:SteVadersHouse:.

I have found on occassion that if you time it just right you can restart your dedicated server after a map is complete and the players don't get booted, but if your quick enough you can hop into one of their places while they are reading the stats screens.

To be honest though - I have only managed to get it to work like this on 2 occassions, more luck than judgement I'm afraid. What has happened more often is that everyone has to rejoin, but they allways understand - at the end of the day your providing them with a server to play on!

Ah, OK... So if I time it so that I restart when I new map's loaded but miss... :) would it be acceptable to restart the server anyway so that I can join in?

The last thing I want to do is ruin everyone's enjoyment of the game just so I can play but then as you say, I'm providing the server...

On another point, I'd like to run the server all night so it can be used if people wish to. Thing is, the cooling I've used is damned noisy (especially the case fan). Money's tight right now (I'm under about 10K of debt right now...) but if I could get quieter cooling I could keep the PC on 24x7x365. Would it be out of order to ask for donations on my website to go towards that fund?

We have done it on most of the games we have played. It is not an uncommon pratice for clans to do this. But due to the fact of not having boot function in the PC or PS2 version of the server atleast not till the next patch you whould have to resort to restarting the server.

It depends on if you have your server setup and have to pay a monthly fee or not. Most clans that I have dealt with usally have the members either pay a monthly fee to cover the cost of the server or ask them for donations.

I luck out as I am the IT director for my company and the owner of the company loves to game so my server does not cost me anything. So hence I do not ask for donations of my members nor from people that play on the server.

But it really is up to the server admin. Some people will donate and others will not it just depends.

Archived