Home

Cultist Destroyer?

razorace

I've been digging thru the SP AI code while implimenting the code for OJP CoOp.

Anyway, I've come across what appears to be a unused NPC "class" that seems to be functional.

It's the Cultist Destroyer, a reborn cultist who blindly charges the player and suicides using a big force explosion.

Has anyone ever actually heard of this enemy type or seen it in action?

The class AI behavior seems to work fine, but my experimentation with this class has revealed a problem quite similar to the remote droid. The remote weapon didn't show any visual effects in game as long as I didn't have bryar_pistol loaded beforehand. Now, the reborn_destroyer seems to explode, killing the player, but there's no explosion effect in game (that I could see on my system anyway). So, I think either some other effect must be loaded earlier or the effect for the class wasn't shipped with the game.

If somebody knows a solution, it would be nice to hear it...

Indeed. But the question remains: What entity (or effect) must be loaded (cached) before the reborn_destroyer, because the effect is not cached when the NPC itself is loaded. It won't be solved with a second reborn_destoyer spawning, that much I know.

It was exactly the same thing with the remote sp. By trial and error, and educated guesses, I deduced it was the bryar pistol for the remote. It might be possible to get the effect somehow also for the detroyer to be shown. It would of course help if you could find the answer in some file...

According to the code it's "force/destruction_exp", and I don't immediately see it in the effects folder so I assume it was cut from the final product.

However, I should note that the effect is supposed to precashe and be used so it should work if you add in an effect called "force/destruction_exp".

Oh, yes... It indeed works after placing an effect called that in the folder. I copied, renamed and edited a red version of the concussion rifle explosion effect for it. Now the suicidal cultist charges himself with force_rage, runs to the player, playes the animation, and explodes (removing himself right in the beginning of the process, which doesn't look so good).

The damage is hard coded, I guess, and the damage range very wide. Thus, the explosion effect should be pretty wide also, definitely far more than in the concussion right now. I might edit the effect to have some lightning and upscale it quite a bit. It should turn out to be interesting...

It's a nasty enemy, especially in tight quarters...

Originally posted by TK42235

Cool! Hay lassev could I use this in my Realism Project Mod?

Ah, yes, but of course! There's actually a readme inside the pk3 that says you can use and modify it as much as you want. You must realise my work was only, let's say experimental, and not aiming at a project of my own. It was just a captivating idea. So, please use it if you find it useful. Or course I'd be happy if you mentioned me in your future readme, but I don't require even that...

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived