Home

Luke in EU

Shok_Tinoktin

Anyone else get the feeling that EU authors got Luke's character very, very wrong? This is not about his character in general, but one specific thing that seems very important.

In the EU, Luke is often critisized for taking on too much responsibility himself, and not being very comfortable with putting others into situations of danger.

The Luke I saw in the movies left the TIEs to Wedge, and said that he would worry about the tower. Of course he heard such things on the comm as "The guns, they've stopped" and "They came from behind"

The Luke I saw in the movies sent everyone into Jabba's Palace before him. He basically turns over everyone to his enemies, then comes in at the end. Why couldn't he go first? Why couldn't he infiltrate Jabba's palace?

The Luke I saw in the movies said "Stay on that one, i'll take these two". Strange coincidence, speeder bike have guns on the front. Luke is in the back taking potshots, and he leaves Leia in front of the speeder bikes weapons.

The two sound very conflicting to me, what does everyone else think. And any one else have any examples?

The Luke I saw in the movies left the TIEs to Wedge, and said that he would worry about the tower. Of course he heard such things on the comm as "The guns, they've stopped" and "They came from behind"

Luke didn't leave the TIE's to Wedge, he was the one that was ordered by Red Leader to take Wedge and Biggs and hold them off in case Red Leader didn't make the run. He didn't, Luke was in charge of the next attack run. Therefor he has to be infront. The 2 others are there to cover him.

The Luke I saw in the movies sent everyone into Jabba's Palace before him. He basically turns over everyone to his enemies, then comes in at the end. Why couldn't he go first? Why couldn't he infiltrate Jabba's palace?

Because he was the ace.

If they could get away with it without much fighting, that would be the best situation in my opinion.

The Luke I saw in the movies said "Stay on that one, i'll take these two". Strange coincidence, speeder bike have guns on the front. Luke is in the back taking potshots, and he leaves Leia in front of the speeder bikes weapons.

Perhaps he had more confidence in his own shooting (and connection to the Force) than Leia has. ;)

I have to agree with you on this one...Luke seems very reluctant about letting others into situation of any danger in EU. Always telling others to stay behind, etc.

I can understand his sending the others before him into JTHP, because it allowed for a near-perfect plan. Whereas things would have gone majorly wrong if he went in alone(although, IMO, he should have tossed a few thermal detonators into the palace, then finished off the survivors with his saber. finally freeing Han)

And in the rest of the OT, he does seem very willing to lets others take responsibility, he doesn't hang them out to dry, but allowd them to do their job(and IMO wedge is a better pilot, so heshould get the challenge)

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

I dont mean that he should have gone in alone, but did he have to go in last? And who knows how long he left the others in there before showing up to help? (Threepio implies that it was a while)

i would think it was several months or so... however, was lando part of luke's plan? or was he on his own? because lando musta been in there for a VERY long time...

d**n f*****g a*****e luke

Originally posted by Lieutenant_kettch

i would think it was several months or so... however, was lando part of luke's plan? or was he on his own? because lando musta been in there for a VERY long time...

i believe RotJ takes place about a year after the events in ESB ... so yeah, he was in there for a long enough time for jabba to have at least a little bit of trust in him.

I thought Lukes character was much too pensive for alot of the EU, especially during the whole Callista era. But he does do some ass kickin in the thrawn trilogy and in the latter NJO, especially in the NJO finale - Th Unifying Force... :D

what's more - he beds the EU most luscious babe....Mara Jade :D

not bad for a farm boy ! :p

mtfbwya

Archived