8 Warhammer 40,000: Dawn Of War - THQ $49

9 Doom 3 - Activision $52

10 Call Of Duty - Activision $33

Source

http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=26964

Search Criteria used

NPD Group TOP 10 PC Games [month:day:year]

richcz3

Sales or lack of sales equate to the amount of after sales support a title gets.

After three weeks of consistant Dev updates, yesterday went without a word. Don't read too much into that, but when sales drop significantly, so do the need to "Fix It" Priorities.

richcz3

Guys the list is a couple of month's out of date, hence: "THE "HARVEY NORMAN" TOP 10 FOR 23-8-2004" in the title - it should have been obvious since the Sims 2 was missing!

If you check out the list of top-sellers on gamespy.com's PC list then SW:BF is sitting pretty at #4 behind two versions of the Sims 2 and Rome:Total War.

# Top Selling PC Games (by $)

for 9/26/04 - 10/02/04 Sales Ratio

1 The Sims 2 Special Edition 100

2 The Sims 2 68

3 Rome: Total War 55

4 Star Wars: Battlefront 42

5 Call of Duty: United Offensive 21

Ex-squeeze me? Most people on Earth suck? Romanov77, please tone down the rhetoric. If you can't post your opinions respectfully, then do not post them at all. You're free to share your thoughts, so long as they don't attack, insult, or otherwise offend people. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

And consider yourself warned.

Ok, the Sim games are ALWAYS number one. They always consistently sell. That really isn't a big deal. Here's what is a big deal:

Top 20 Games Being Played Now

Here are the top-20 most played games online this Sunday afternoon thanks to Gamespy:

1. Half Life - 35985 servers, 97724 players

2. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 2649 servers, 10110 players

3. Battlefield 1942 - 2736 servers, 9831 players

4. Americas Army: Special Forces - 1552 servers, 8992 players

5. Call of Duty - 3338 servers, 8716 players

6. Call of Duty: United Offensive - 1697 servers, 8094 players

7. Neverwinter Nights - 1622 servers, 7482 players

8. Quake 3: Arena - 2727 servers, 6866 players

9. Medal of Honor Allied Assault - 2595 servers, 5993 players

10. Unreal Tournament 2004 - 3682 servers, 5449 players

11. Battlefield: Vietnam - 1617 servers, 4736 players

12. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault Spearhead - 1293 servers, 4704 players

13. Soldier of Fortune 2 - 1622 servers, 4187 players

14. Unreal Tournament - 2619 servers, 3815 players

15. Halo: Combat Evolved - 759 servers, 3370 players

16. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - 644 servers, 1513 players

17. Vietcong - 401 servers, 1304 players

18. Halo Demo - 223 servers, 860 players

19. Quake II - 645 servers, 840 players

20. Star Wars: Battlefront - (PC) 297 servers, 701 players

Not making the top 20 is Tribes: Vengeance which comes in at 26th and Doom 3 at 32nd. If Half-Life 2 was being actively tracked, it would have 4,459 servers and 12,349 players making it number 2 on the list. MMORPGs and Battle.net titles are of course not included either.

----end snip---

Interesting that Star Wars Battlefront is so low.

I think it's because the sucky frame rate. The freakin Halo (PC) "demo" has more players!

This is a good reflection of the poor quality of the net code. To think the game is one of the top selling games and yet ranks below "Vietcong" and others.

Sad. I wish Lucasarts didn't put the frame rate limit of 20 fps.

Erin

But unfortuantely it is hard to undo the damage to the community caused by such issues. The same thing happened with JA with the browser bug. Most players try the game, find that it has the various problems, and then go onto other games. Many will never check later for updates and patches. Even without a wonky browser, the fps cap is enough to drive many hardcore PC MP gamers away.

Perhaps the game will survive better with the console community, since there are less alternatives to go to. But for PC, most people I know who picked up the games have already gone back or onto other games. I mean, the game is only a month old and it already has less players than JA, which is a year old.

Speaking for myself, I like Star Wars Battlefront much better than Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, which is saying a lot since I was an ardent Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith fan. So, hopefully people will give the game a second chance once these issues are resolved.

I just hope they are working on the patch in a fierce fashion. I know their priorities were set on the mp side as that is what is hurting the game so much, but it would be great to see some basic game tweaks in as well.

Only questions are, how much will they continue to fix bugs. In the meantime I'm looking forward to any anouncement they mentioned about a tools release. User made mods will really help this title take off.

richcz3

Originally posted by Vagabond

Speaking for myself, I like Star Wars Battlefront much better than Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, which is saying a lot since I was an ardent Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith fan. So, hopefully people will give the game a second chance once these issues are resolved.

Wow. I respectfully disagree of course.

SWBF has a very shallow SP component. Even if all the bugs are patched and Editing really takes off, the game simply has less playvalue than any of the JK series.

Besides that, it's a very different game. Sure, it has FPS elements, but it's night and day with the JK series.

The action in SWBF is VERY SLOW, and it lacks the "sixth sense" component to using the Force in addition to everything else. SWBF also, while having a lot of features in its one game mode, has only one game mode. At least the JK series offers more than one style of play.

It's like comparing MOHAA to BF1942. Sure there are similarities, but ultimately it's apples to oranges.

So liking one vs the other is a matter of personal taste.

; )

I think that Siege (despite it not being very well developed at the time of the game's release) actually did a better job with objective based team missions than SWBF. Even though SWBF has the strength of having lots of units running around at once (even though the AI is terrible, and the online play is often choppy and unstable).

The graphics of SWBF are impressive, but the one thing you spend the most time looking at (the models) are lower poly than anything JA has. True, graphics aren't everything, but that's another factor.

But again, a matter of opinion.

I like both games, but I'm annoyed at the (to me) wasted potential and general buginess resulting from the rush job of this game. I think rushed-ness hurt JA s well, but not quite to the degree that it has SWBF (plus the fact that I'm talking about the PC version here, which suffers from being dumbed down by the console releases). We'll see how well Pandemic/LucasArts can remedy this in the next year.

Originally posted by Vagabond

Ex-squeeze me? Most people on Earth suck? Romanov77, please tone down the rhetoric. If you can't post your opinions respectfully, then do not post them at all. You're free to share your thoughts, so long as they don't attack, insult, or otherwise offend people. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

And consider yourself warned.

Ehm, im sorry Ithorian jedi:) ...

However, I always considered myself and all the star wars fans as part of an elite group...

I mean, most people when hear "Star wars" or just any fantasy-scifi thing says:

"wow, that sucks! Better going to play GTA or Sims2"

At least thats were I live... I think in my town there are a couple of people who ever heard about "Star wars"... and not because our cinemas and tv do not play the movies, but just because people are mind closed (so IMO they sucks;) )

Originally posted by Kurgan

...Wow. I respectfully disagree of course.

SWBF has a very shallow SP component. Even if all the bugs are patched and Editing really takes off, the game simply has less playvalue than any of the JK series...

To clarify, I like the original Jedi Knight and its expansion, Mysteries of the Sith better than Star Wars Battlefront. But Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy just never felt quite right to me. And maybe part of the problem is that Jedi Knight and its offspring had huge shoes to fill - I just don't think that JO and JA quite lived up to my expectations. JA was better, in my opinion, but JK:MotS was superb on so many levels, from the maps, to the story, to the graphics, to the user-interface design, the game engine, to the force-power implementation, to the professional control setup, to being nearly bug-free upon release. It really was a magnum opus in the literal sense of the word.

So having said that, Star Wars Battlefront brings to the table something that many Star Wars gamers have dreamed of since the beginning - being able to take part in huge Star Wars battles, with authentic weapons, combatants, locales, and vehicles. It's absolutely amazing, in my opinion. Now, it would be cool if you could play as a Jedi, which would be a prime candidate for an expansion. But as it is now, it has so much to offer Star Wars fans, that I find it far and away more fun than JO or JA.

I would rank my list of Stars Wars FPS games as:

1. Jedi Knight & Mysteries of the Sith

2. Star Wars Battlefront

3. Jedi Academy

4. Jedi Outcast

Archived