Home

Frightening Real!

Whoopknacker

Its that time of the year.

Please post the scariest or nerve racking game youve played. What experiences gave you the gitters?

Games like DOOM 3 or Alien Vs Predator 2 (Marine).

For me it was AVP2, being a marine was crazy. I set the game on medium and still that would get to me. When most of the game takes place in a secluded and dark area you have no idea what will be coming at you and when. Your motion detector would go off and you could not find what was coming your direction. Also sometimes you would walk right next to a door and it would start to get smashed in. You would also hear the Alien hisses around you. If you were in an elevator it would stop abruptly and the lights would go out and here came the Aliens. Fun stuff.

Please dont be lame or sarcastic and say OH Pokemon Arena scared me to death.

I'm an extremely jumpy and easily frightened person, so I typically avoid games that have potential to scare me.

I mean, I was honestly scared in Halo when I first ran into the flood :\

I know there is one other game in particular that scared me so much I never finished it, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is...

I'm not easily scared. Doom 3 had some moments when I first played, but repitition soon makes it a dull experience (in my opinion).

I really like Manhunt, ok it's not like "horror scary", but it has me on edge all the time. There's nothing like being armed only with a plastic bag with neo nazi skinheads hunting you, determined to kick the sh1t out of you. It's a real pity there's no online option for Manhunt, that would be soooo amazing.

Also Resident Evil 2 (I think it was 2) - the one with the giant spiders , they freaked me out :eek:

I haven't played Doom 3 (I'm not old enough :|) but AVP 2 was scary, if you pplayed marine, and Halo had some scary moments just before you'd encounter the flood. That part reminded me of AVP 2 funny enough...

I mean, you see a dead Elite. 'What the... I didn't kill this one. But the marines passed by here, perhaps they... Hey? what race has green blood?' I expected to see a predator there...

Or the freaked-out marine firing at you... creepy... After i encountered the flood, it wasn't creepy anymore.

Originally posted by Doomie

I haven't played Doom 3 (I'm not old enough :|) but AVP 2 was scary, if you pplayed marine, and Halo had some scary moments just before you'd encounter the flood. That part reminded me of AVP 2 funny enough...

I mean, you see a dead Elite. 'What the... I didn't kill this one. But the marines passed by here, perhaps they... Hey? what race has green blood?' I expected to see a predator there...

Or the freaked-out marine firing at you... creepy... After i encountered the flood, it wasn't creepy anymore.

Hey both AVP 2 and Doom3 are both rated M. Howd you pull that off? Anyway I am sure that Doom3 takes the cake for the scariest game. I know people in their twenties that get freaked out by it. I dont like the gore but if Im really into a game I have dreams about it. I dont want to have dreams about Doom3, I might wake up in a puddle of pee.

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

Clive Barker's Undying is easily, EASILY the scariest game I have ever played and most likely will ever play.

Darn You! I wanted to put Undying onto this thread first. Definitely scarier than anything else to date.

I got scared by the sound effects of Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2, but that was when was 9 or 10 or something.

I'm jumpy and easily scared, also. So I tend to just play more multi-player oriented games than single player ones. Mainly because I find multi-player less scarey for some reason.

Games like: Quake 3, Rainbow 6, Halo, SWGB, SWB, etc.

The only single player game I play is KOTOR, and that's becuase I like Star Wars, and it's not scarey. =P

AVP2 is by far my most frightening game. Trapped in a vent as a marine with only a flashlight and possibly a flare or two and the pulse of your motion detector feels like hell. Deciding to check six and being met with a gangly alien about ready to take your face off is horrifying.

Can you imagine what they could do with AVPIII? Going into the Hive and suddenly Aliens start coming out of the walls. What looks like the floor starts to move towards you. What I enjoyed about the first two Alien films (the only Alien films in my opinion) was the use of light with the Aliens. Strobe flashes while the Alien came running toward you, gave them such an erry feel. Facehuggers sneaking up behind you. A final battle against the Queen. Dont forget Predators high in the trees or hearing their breathing. Shake up the nerves a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I too don't really play scairy games Because I have nightmares about it for weeks (damn photgraphic memory)!

The flood were scairy at first but after the first too missions I was like these guys are just stupid and just shot them with the shotgun (and yes I am talking about legendary, they are still stupid and easy to kill they just have numbers!)!

I never played doom 3 or AVP 1/2 never saw the movie either!

Scairy moment for me was when I was playing Starwars: Dark forces and when I first encounterd a Phase one Darktrooper Damn I was like so terrified of the thing my shots missed so bad I backed into a corner and blew myself up with a grenade!

This shows what DTs look and sound like just If your wondering! (look at stage 1)

http://www.hillside.co.uk/glyn/dark/trooper.html

Its bad quality pics they look much better in game!

This is like me shooting at it missing bad, I missed worse though!

:dtrooper::grnlaz:

BTW in Battlefront the Darktroopers are phase 2's they messed them up really bad though!

A bit jumpy, especially when its dark and playing DOOM 3. In D3 its mostly the environmental sound that creeps you. Also they open rooms etc next to where you walk and let a zombie come out, its mostly the sound that gets me. And Doom 3 has ace sound.

However, that its good at surprising me (sometimes its plain stupid, someone behind me while everything is/was clear...)

doesn't make it that fun after a while, always played in short bursts and even now deleted it to continue it later...some day. Enjoyed KOTOR lately and i'm (legally yes) dl'ing HL2. (85mins left!)

Voucher with ATI card. ATI had an offer where you got HL2 for free with certain cards (mine was radeon 9800 pro). You had the option of ordering it out of canada (send a letter with box sticker etc etc) or stream it trough steam. I wanted to order it out of canada but missed receipt cause i ordered the card from a site, and they said they couldn't do anything then.

The game has good protection, when you buy it you'll need to unlock game files trough steam etc.

Originally posted by Alegis

A bit jumpy, especially when its dark and playing DOOM 3. In D3 its mostly the environmental sound that creeps you. Also they open rooms etc next to where you walk and let a zombie come out, its mostly the sound that gets me. And Doom 3 has ace sound.

Exactly. Thats what made the Doom 3 experience scary for me.

Only other game would be Shadowman, where you have to track down an undead serial killer in a delapadated apartment block.

With no lights. :sweat:

i think that playing Dark Forces had some good, creepy spots, like in the sewer system, and you hear a diogana sloshing around but you cant see it untill that mass of tentacles (and teeth) pops up in front of you in near pitch-black. Or those phase 1 Dark troopers, some were very well placed.

Manhunt or Morrowwind.Morrowwind was creepy at times and had some dark places that you wanted to go in but did not at the same time.You got to admit it was pretty scary.The coolest part was that you stand in front of a door that on the other side was your death and say "screw it i am going home" and go back to your house and sleep or somthing.

• 2 weeks later...

Morrowind wins for me, i remember going into a dark cave with a torch (and the stealed armor of a guard) and getting almost in shock always when some guy or some creature appeared in front of me, and the sound was really helpfull for that.

Anyway i've hear that Silent Hill 3 is one of the most frightening games so, ill have to try it :]

Archived