Home

POST Your Bugs Here! (2nd Demo)

Darth_Linux

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TALAY:

1. when you enter the dark stairwell next to the landing area, the rain continues to fall inside.

2. when you enter the "secret" canal tunnel along side the building with the dark trooper weapon inside, some of the lights have wierd rings at the bottom of the coverage area.

Other than that, these levels are phenomenal. Great job!

In Anoat City, when you get to that walkway part outside, before you return to the four switch room, I definitely heard a dianoga roaring and whatnot, but there wasn't one in the water....and the sound from the interrogation droids can be heard from quite a long way away. That may be built into the game, I don't know. Oh, and in Talay and Anoat, when I looked at the water pouring out of pipes and stuff, I got this weird effect. The water would lighten the stuff behind it, so even though the rest of water coming out was dark, the water with the pipe behind it was light purple (well, purple in Talay). Sorry if you don't understand what I'm saying, it's kind of odd; I have several screenshots, but no host.

Anyway, I also noticed that at some times when I had my Bryar fully charged and crouched or recovered from a landing, there would be a brief flash of that muzzle effect from JO you got when you charged the blaster....pretty interesting. And I'm assuming there is something about the awnings in Talay that makes them opaque from only one side? because if you go under them, they become transparent. Also in Talay, there is a crashed Dark Trooper pod in a building that looks opaque but that you can walk through. Lastly, there isn't a throwing animation for the thermal detonator. I can kind of understand if it is not possible to make one in SP, as there basically wasn't such an animation in JO/JA anyway, but I'm just throwing it out there.

I know it sounds like a lot, but I guess I'm just someone who checks/makes a note of everything. The demo really was great! I loved the music, it really helped bring back that nostalgic feeling.

P.S. I also realize that these don't really affect the gameplay at all, so if they belong somewhere else (like in a different thread) then please let me know.

Here's a couple issues I noticed right away. Keep in mind that I haven't played these levels through in a very long time, and actually had to solve the puzzles and figure out where to go. Also, this list includes not just bugs but random thoughts.

SECBASE

Looked okay to me. I couldn't find the secret where you have to jump through that black area and then you come to the hidden area with the interregation droids and whatnot. But I think I just didn't remember where it was.

TALAY

- In the "river" you could see little cracks in the water where it went around bends

- I noticed that several lines were recorded regarding finding the generator and getting across the bridge. Spending a lot of time just exploring and trying to remember exactly what I had to do and where I had to go, it got very annoying hearing those things over and over again. Every time I went up to where you have to go across the bridge, Kyle would say something to the effect of "I've got to get across that bridge somehow, the manual control room must be around here somewhere." When you first go there, you don't SEE the bridge because it's on the other side, if I recall. I was trying to figure out where this bridge was that he was talking about and every time I entered the area (including when swimming around in the water), he said that over and over again. Is there some way to limit the number of times he says this, and to clarify the dialog a bit maybe?

- On some of the doors, it's not immediately obvious where the button is that you have to press. I'm talking about the bottons that are a part of the tall panels right next the doors. Just by looking at it, you're not immediately sure what part of that panel is the actual button, and you can only tell by the litle "Hand" icon. Why not make the whole side panel the button, not just the one small section of it?

ANOAT

- In Anoat, there was that large outdoor area. You hear a what sounds like a dianoga but there are none in the area.

- If you go swimming in that area, it behaves more like you're walking underwater than actually swimming. Maybe I just didn't venture far enough out.

- In the original, I seem to remember dianogas popping their eye up, and then a few seconds later appearing out of nowhere to surprise you. Now it's basically just an eye that swims at you...not a huge deal but it's something to consider changing.

- In the cool new "boss" room at the end of Anoat, I found that very easy. You can hide in a way that only 1-2 of the turrets can see you at a time. So you just hide, pick them off one at a time with the Stormtrooper rifle, and it really isn't that much of an issue. I would suggest either adding more turrets that open up in stages, or make it harder to hide or something along those lines.

- At the very beginning of Anoat, I don't REMEMBER there being an immediate objective. I might have missed it. Also after only a few seconds, I hit a checkpoint. Not sure what's up with that.

GENERAL

- The remotes seem to take too many hits. 1, maybe 2 should be all with the blasters. Otherwise they're just annoying.

- Would it be possible to use slightly less compression in the pre-rendered cutscenes? I know there's a filesize concern, but there was a LOT of pixelation there.

Anoat Briefing:

Jan Ors is in the background, but I think Mon Montha is suppose to be giving this briefing.

The clue is at the end of the briefing when she says something like...

"I'll have the decomtamination chamber warmed up and ready for both of you when you get back"

Both?

I'll have to run through it a second time to be sure, but during the "Kyle and Mon Mothma" cutscene the sound got really crackling (nothing wrong with my speakers that I could tell) and then the sound cut out entirely for the remainder of the scene. Talay then crashed after a couple of seconds.

I cheated to start on Talay and am playing the Sewers now. Once I beat it I'll warp through again to see if it still makes the same problem. I did notice that I had audio quality set on Low (no EAX) before, if that matters.

I have a Soundblaster Live! soundcard.

The rest of the stuff aren't really bugs, just suggestions. The Dianogas need to be scarier and stealthier. Right now they are just funny goofy little guys who punch you with their eye stalks. Didn't have big TEETH in the original game? I can't tell here. If those were improved that could really enhance the experience.

That map thing is just teasing me! I hope there's a way to add it someday...

Also we need coop support (MP Weapons > SP Weapons)... ; )

In the Secret Base:

-There is the one secret retractable wall that leads to the Emperor's hologram area. Because this wall has a lip that sticks out at the very top, it's possible to get a stormtrooper caught in there. If that happens you'll never be able to retract the wall far enough again to cross, because it just keeps hitting the trooper's head and kindly going back up instead of doing the smart thing and crushing him to death.

The only reason this happens is because the trooper is hugging the wall trying to reach the waypoint on the other side.

-The secret area under the elevator while on the way to the basement has no prizes. Even if it does, the whole corner there is pitch-black so you couldn't see them anyway.

-It's possible to screw up the "press Use to finish this level" bit at the end. I expected an instant response rather than a delay, so I ended up pressing it several times and walking away from the area hoping to trigger something.

In Talay:

-The cutscene preceding Talay has a couple problems. First, the Dark Trooper loading sequence animates much faster than the sound track. And secondly, the audio starts to crack up randomly just as soon as the distress signal is finished playing. It recovers, but sometimes it takes longer to do so than other times.

-It's a little hard to tell that the wall panel switches in Talay are, in fact, switches. I got stuck for a while until I figured it out.

In Anoat:

-You can hear the Torture Droids from quite a ways away in Anoat, which kind of lends to a little paranoia after a while.

-There are no Objectives specified in Anoat.

-This is just a nit-pick, but if the Crow is landed with its' gears down in Talay, why is it floating in mid-air in Anoat?

1 - perhaps its my sound card ... the sound is cutted during the cutscenes ...

2 - from time to time , the game crashed whith an error message : "g_spawn no free entity"

littles bugs but very good job , thank you.

-There is the one secret retractable wall that leads to the Emperor's hologram area. Because this wall has a lip that sticks out at the very top, it's possible to get a stormtrooper caught in there. If that happens you'll never be able to retract the wall far enough again to cross, because it just keeps hitting the trooper's head and kindly going back up instead of doing the smart thing and crushing him to death.

Good observation, I knew this happened but was too late to fix it. The compiling procress sometimes creates waypoint routes automatically, and sometimes gets it wrong as you witnessed. Thanks.

I love the game. Tak Base is especially spectacular. Anoat, however, as fun as it is, has 2 issues that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

The first is fairly minor. When you move into the big sewage room with the grinders, then from there take the sewage lift up, if you flip the lift switch twice before the lift moves up, it will remain locked up, requiring the noclip code to complete the level. A simple delay trigger on the switch or reset position on the sewage lift would probably fix that.

The other issue is the painful framerate drops that occur in Anoat. Some sewage areas (I can't remember which areas exactly, although I'll get a list if you need it) cause an amazing framerate drop when the player is anywhere above that patch of liquid sewage. There are also some framerate drops involving lifts (the 2nd to last lift on the gate 1 path and the lift in the last sewage area of the map before MR's stronghold). Finally, jumping and occastionally crouching in this level seems to come with a framerate hit as well.

Hi!

I have a rather large bug to report...

I cant play the mod on my mac.

I hae installed it the mac way (putting the Dark Forces folder inside the "Jedi Academy" folder inside "Application Support") and although the mod loads well, I see the splash screen and the usual Jedi Academy screen becomes green, but after I select new game I cant get any further.

The buttons for selecting skill level (Padawan, Jedi, etc) are missing, as if the typeface is missing.

I can still click on the empty area, and get to the brieffing/loading screen, here everything stops for me :(

I can hear teh voice, but I cannot see any text or click anywhere. I have found two "active areas" areas that turn red as I hover over them, but click there has no effect.

here are two pics of it in action:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Anyone know what to do with this ?

Originally posted by Ravicai

Anoat Briefing:

Jan Ors is in the background, but I think Mon Montha is suppose to be giving this briefing.

The clue is at the end of the briefing when she says something like...

"I'll have the decomtamination chamber warmed up and ready for both of you when you get back"

Both?

yeah, you and Moff Rebus. It's definatly Jan giving the briefing - check the original game. . .

There's a bug in the Talay map in the small area with the vegetation (before you get into the Rebel Base proper you can see some textures floating in mid air (off to the right as you enter). There seems to be single lines hovering above the foliage. ;)

Other than that, the outdoor areas really take a heavy hit in the FPS. I don't know what kind of machines y'all are using, but on mine I can't get more than 20-25 FPS in outdoor areas (secbase and talay) and in lots of places the FPS goes down even more (around 5 FPS or so)--especially when enemies are onscreen.

The other thing is that the enemy AI seems to be really dumb. Most of the time I could walk right up to enemies and they would just sit there as if I weren't there (makes it nice and easy to blow them away with a quick squeeze on the ST rifle trigger), and the ones that did notice me would simply stay put and fire from the same location making it easy to run around them and burn them to a fine charred powder. :p

Also, the sound seems to snap, crackle and pop all the time, and this is with EAX turned off. I looked at your sounds and they seemed OK--it could be that they're recorded too hot. The other thing I've noticed is that the engine is very picky about the MP3s it'll play--that might be a factor as well.

Other than that, I'm impressed with what you guys have come up with. I can't improve on what others have already said about the look of the maps, so suffice it to say that I'm looking forward to seeing more. :D

just registered to post because of this demo... damn, nice work.

In the sewers map... I'm not sure where it is exactly, but there is a section where you are walking along a series of catwalks and there is a bunch of grans with grenads... well, one of these catwalks hangs of a pit and I accidently fell into said pit.

rather then dying like i should have, I kept getting hit with something, either there was a creature in the pit or a damage trigger was added so you die before you hit the bottom as you fall, but i hit the bottom and rather then taking damage, my health went up rather raidly to 999, it still showed the red marker thing on screen indicating i was taking damage, but my health was going up really REALLY fast.

Originally posted by Shamus

There's a bug in the Talay map in the small area with the vegetation (before you get into the Rebel Base proper you can see some textures floating in mid air (off to the right as you enter). There seems to be single lines hovering above the foliage. ;)

Other than that, the outdoor areas really take a heavy hit in the FPS. I don't know what kind of machines y'all are using, but on mine I can't get more than 20-25 FPS in outdoor areas (secbase and talay) and in lots of places the FPS goes down even more (around 5 FPS or so)--especially when enemies are onscreen.

The other thing is that the enemy AI seems to be really dumb. Most of the time I could walk right up to enemies and they would just sit there as if I weren't there (makes it nice and easy to blow them away with a quick squeeze on the ST rifle trigger), and the ones that did notice me would simply stay put and fire from the same location making it easy to run around them and burn them to a fine charred powder. :p

Also, the sound seems to snap, crackle and pop all the time, and this is with EAX turned off. I looked at your sounds and they seemed OK--it could be that they're recorded too hot. The other thing I've noticed is that the engine is very picky about the MP3s it'll play--that might be a factor as well.

Other than that, I'm impressed with what you guys have come up with. I can't improve on what others have already said about the look of the maps, so suffice it to say that I'm looking forward to seeing more. :D

I think your sound issues are related to your slow processor speed. When the CPU is maxed out, it starts stuttering on the sounds. the best suggestion I can give you is to lower the details levels in the game and see if that makes a difference.

thanks for the comments.

Archived