Home

POST Your Bugs Here! (2nd Demo)

Darth_Linux

Originally posted by Disco Boy

I ran the install program let it go to the default directory and used the shortcut but I just ge regular JA when I start up. I tried playing but I just went to yavin. I've tried fiddling with command lines moving files and loading in the mod in gam but nothing works. Umm...Help?

Are you sure you had enough disk space available on your disk when installing the demo?

Please check if the dfmod_demo_ja.pk3 is in the dark directory.

Are you sure you used the shortcut with DFMOD icon to start the game.

Sorry, silly question, but i have to ask it :D

Then please check the DFMOD shortcut properties, if it passes "+set fs_game dark" to the exectuable.

Last thing: do you get console errors?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Shamus

I dunno if if this is a bug or not, but I thought I'd throw this out there. In the sewers when you go into chute #1 (counted from left to right as you come into the room with the four switches) and go into the control room and press the switch that looks over the large room you need to cross, the room always fills up--no matter what the state of the other switches are in the other control rooms in the other chutes.

The other thing is even if you've flipped all the switches in the other rooms and then flip the one in chute #1 and see it fill the room, once you exit that area and go into chute #2 to the large room it's no longer flooded.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like a scripting error to me. :p Also, the switches in the other rooms (other than the one in chute #1) don't let you turn them off once you activate them. Doesn't seem like much of a puzzle to me--but I could be missing something obvious. :)

this is exactly how the room is supposed to operate - you are missing the point of the puzzle . . .

Originally posted by Fracman

Are you sure you had enough disk space available on your disk when installing the demo?

Please check if the dfmod_demo_ja.pk3 is in the dark directory.

Are you sure you used the shortcut with DFMOD icon to start the game.

Sorry, silly question, but i have to ask it :D

Then please check the DFMOD shortcut properties, if it passes "+set fs_game dark" to the exectuable.

Last thing: do you get console errors?

Idon't have any console errors, I know that I had several gigs on the drive, the file is there, The shortcut is in my Start Menu and says Dark Forces Mod Demo with an icon of an ST similar to the old DF cover and has the right excecutable. I'll try to check console tonight or tommorow at the latest

So far I thought this has been a most execellent DF Conversion if I ever saw one! But if I remember correctly from the original Dark Forces Game, there were MOUSE BOTS roaming around in specific areas of the Secret Base level and in other levels of the game, which were absent in this 2nd demo. Will the mouse bots be in the next time around?

Disco Boy, if you would please mind to tell us exactly what you did and what is not working, we might be able to help you.

Did you extract the whole zip?

Did you use the setup.exe?

Was the installation successful?

Then check if inside your JA installation directory there is a dark directory,

and if this dark directory contains a large PK3 and different small files.

Do you have a desktop icon for the DFMOD?

What happens if you double klick it?

Please write me its properties in a PM if you like.

If you don't give us "proper" error or behavior description, we cannot solve the problem

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Zerimar Nyliram

The characters' mouths do not move when they are speaking. I really think that the cutscenes with the characters should be in-game cutscenes rather than part of the FMVs. Only the space scenes should be FMVs.

This has been discussed already: to do the cutscenes in-game would require a ton of scripting, which would have to be provided by someone who is, as of yet, not on the team; i.e. they currently have no one to script in-game cutscenes. And the mouths not moving was listed in the readme as a known issue.

Originally posted by ImmolatedYoda

This has been discussed already: to do the cutscenes in-game would require a ton of scripting, which would have to be provided by someone who is, as of yet, not on the team; i.e. they currently have no one to script in-game cutscenes. And the mouths not moving was listed in the readme as a known issue.

If the issue is that they need a good scripter, them may I suggest this guy:

lassev (Lasse Vääriskoski), lassev@Bigfoot.com

His mod 'Syndicate: Initiation' for Jedi Academy had some really nice scripted cutscenes in it with voice acting (with mouth movements) and particle effects (which would be useful for the Mon Mothma and Kyle conversation) etc. In the event he didn't actually script the cutscenes you could ask him who he got to do them for him.

Yeah, Lasse does script everything himself, and I daresay he's the best scripter I know. Still, getting mouth movements in a scripted cutscene is as simple as anything, it simply requires you to put the sound effect on a voice channel if I remember correctly (last time I wrote a cutscene script was months ago :p).

Originally posted by ewok mercenary

Still, getting mouth movements in a scripted cutscene is as simple as anything, it simply requires you to put the sound effect on a voice channel if I remember correctly (last time I wrote a cutscene script was months ago :p).

We are not as incapable as you might think. Just because we don't have a profi scripter does not mean we can't write any scripts... :p

And you did not really read what we wrote already even in the readme. :rolleyes:

One more time for you:

The mouth movements are working fine!

The only problem is : as soon as EAX is switched on,

the mouth movement is so small, nearly not visible at all.

Switching off EAX brings mouth movement back.

It might be a problem caused by not having correct EAL files,

by inadequate drivers, or by other unknown cause.

Thats why we preferred to currently disable EAX to give you best experience.

The rendered cutscenes are totally different. The creator has his own reasons for it.

There might be different ways of doing these, but you have to live with it for now. :o

Oh I don't consider you incapable at all, in fact I consider the DFMOD team to be one of the most talented around. :)

I was merely pointing out to Locutus that mouth movements in a cutscene doesn't exactly require hugely talented scripters.

Besides, the ingame cutscenes worked fine for me, although I myself think it would be an improvement if the part of the rendered cutscene with Mon Mothma and Kyle was done ingame, but that's just my opinion. :)

Originally posted by Fracman

Disco Boy, if you would please mind to tell us exactly what you did and what is not working, we might be able to help you.

Did you extract the whole zip?

Did you use the setup.exe?

Was the installation successful?

Then check if inside your JA installation directory there is a dark directory,

and if this dark directory contains a large PK3 and different small files.

Do you have a desktop icon for the DFMOD?

What happens if you double klick it?

Please write me its properties in a PM if you like.

If you don't give us "proper" error or behavior description, we cannot solve the problem

:rolleyes:

I think I went over most of this already but the unzipping and setup were both succsesful. The files are all present. As I said before the shortcut I'm using is in my Start Menu. There is no actual error like I said it just runs as normal Jedi Academy with all the menus and intros and when I play I go to the regular starting yavin mission.

For properties under general the only thing of note is that the archive box is checked under attributes which shouldn't affect anything.

Next under shortcut

"D:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" +set fs_game dark

Is the target which is the default and what everyone says it should be

"D:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\Gamedata"

is the "start in" directory and nothing is checked in compatability. I have JA version 1.0.1.0 and whatever the current version of XP is.

Here's my bugs that I haven't seen addressed:

SECBASE: When you get on the roof and don't press USE to end the mission, the Crow animation will sloooowly tip over on its side. IMAGE

TALAY: I get the message (Cached weather file "maps/talay.weather out of date, regenerating...) when the level starts. This goes away after a couple of seconds.

This door clips through the wall: IMAGE

Other than a few texturing problems (I think I saw some crates in SEWERS where the textures are backwards), everything else looks pretty good.

Great MOD guys!;)

Originally posted by ewok mercenary

Oh I don't consider you incapable at all, in fact I consider the DFMOD team to be one of the most talented around. :)

Heh, thanks :)

Originally posted by ewok mercenary Besides, the ingame cutscenes worked fine for me, although I myself think it would be an improvement if the part of the rendered cutscene with Mon Mothma and Kyle was done ingame, but that's just my opinion. :)

We also had a discussion about it team internally.

Modifying this would mean to render and cut the whole cutscene again...

but there was not enough time for this.

Else we would have to delay the demo or don't have any cutscene at all...

I think I went over most of this already but the unzipping and setup were both succsesful.

Ok. What you wrote is fine, also the shortcuts.

Can you please tell me if the DFMOD files are correctly located in [...]gamedata\dark ?

If your answer to this is yes,

i have no other idea than this:

You might have some non-JA PK3 in your base directory.

As *.PK3, only the assets*.pk3 should be there.

I don't have XP on my machine, perhaps someone else can help here?

Originally posted by JeneralJarJar

SECBASE: When you get on the roof and don't press USE to end the mission, the Crow animation will sloooowly tip over on its side. IMAGE

Ouch. I had seen the skewed Crow before already, but not like that... must be some scripting error ;)

The player is not supposed to stay longer there anyway :p

TALAY: I get the message (Cached weather file "maps/talay.weather out of date, regenerating...) when the level starts. This goes away after a couple of seconds.

This is not a bug, but a "feature" of the weather control system.

There is actually no known solution to this.

Good seen. This will be fixed by the mapper.

Here's my bugs that I haven't seen addressed:

Other than a few texturing problems (I think I saw some crates in SEWERS where the textures are backwards), everything else looks pretty good.

Great MOD guys!

Fixed, thanks!

first of, great mod you got here, didnt get to play game first time around so looking forward to full release, anyway after first map i was hearing two sets of voices, one was briefing of next map and other was what sounded like vader talking to the emperor, was this meant to happen? if so i couldnt really make out what either was saying much kill vaders convo ended and only briefing remained. also in 2nd map the light textures on lamps sometimes left floating rings in air and water, sure thats been said before :p also one little suggestion with the blaster rifle is it possible to reduce the flare of the shots? as it takes up a fair bit of screen and can put me of slightly, or have abbility to turn it off in options. as for 3rd map cant find anything wrong as iam stuck atm if find anything ill post it though. keep up good work

Its in the right place and the only PK3 files are the assets

Bah. sorry :(

Now could you please open the console (using ~ key) and scroll to the top (with PGUP) and tell which "searchpaths" JA found?

Or simply enter

condump dump.log

and send me the dump.log ?

Archived