Home

POST Your Bugs Here! (2nd Demo)

Darth_Linux

Oh, another thing. (Don't really know if it's a "bug." It's more of a suggestion for the final MOD.) The Give All and Give Weapons cheats give you the JA weapons. (Or at least it give you the lightsaber rather than the fists.) It'd be great if you could somehow fix that. I'm guessing that it'd probably be hard to do, hey, that's my suggestion.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Zerimar Nyliram

The Give All and Give Weapons cheats give you the JA weapons.

CHEATER :Pir1::swear:

We had an even better idea: implement the cheat codes of DF (if appliable).

But again we must be able to code the engine... until then, no special stuff possible :o

Originally posted by Zerimar Nyliram

Yes. And damn proud of it, too!:D

*pffffff* the only who can be proud here are we all from the Dark Forces mod team :p

Anyway we deny any responsibilty in case of damage to ennemies, maps, player and non player characters when using cheats :o

;)

Sorta have a big problem with this mod...

I installed the mod, the "Dark" folder is in the right place (Gamedata folder) and I ran the mod using the desktop shortcut. Nothing was different at all, and when I started a new game, it simply brought me to the character creation and the first level in Yavin for JA.

JA is patched, there is nothing in the base or gamedata folder that may interfere (eg:other mods) but nothing happens at all.

Anyone have any suggestions?

That exact same thing happened to me the first time I installed the MOD. But now it works fine, for some reason. (Second installation.) I did absolutely nothing differently, yet there is a world of difference.

Try doing the same thing I did: Uninstall the MOD and then reinstall it. Keep doing that until it works. (Luckily for me it worked on my second installation.)

i would consider this a major problem. it could be a video card problem but i will tell you anyway.

well when i start the demo on the main screen some textures and icons dont appear. i can still do everything but a few things are missing. when i start the game itself is the biggest problem. the entire map is covered ina thick red fog making it almost impossible to see anything, none of the models appear, guns appear when i use them but bullets dont show, and again textures missing. also the models shoot at me but i cant see them, so basiclly i die instantly.

can i get some help?

either post here or email me(braden_bob@hotmail.com)

Don't worry. It has nothing to do with your hardware or the MOD. It is simply to do with the way Jedi Academy is designed to handle pk3s. These types of problems didn't come up with JK2 because it was built slightly differently. Anyway to fix this problem, simply remove all the pk3s you've added to your Base folder. This means all the extra ones and leave the assets and that's all. Move them to a folder that JA won't look at (eg. JA\Gamedata\Base\pk3s). That should fix it.

Quick suggestion, sorry to put in stuff that sounds like "requests" I don't mean to fill up space.

But Jan pronounces it "Ann oh At" in your cutscene, but in Empire Strikes Back Han says is "uh noe at" or "uh noe it."

I know it's hard to find good voice actors, but if they understand the context and story a little better, it can help to avoid sounding like they're just reading a script cold.

Good luck!

A couple more for ya:

In SECBASE, I was able to jump-crouch up the front of the troop transport outside, and from there get onto the second floor of the base. I could then take the elevator down, without getting the keycard or having any enemies spawned inside.

In TALAY, at the very beginning when you turn around to shoot the stormtrooper, there are two rebel posters on the left-hand wall. There is a clipping problem here, just walk forward hugging the wall and you will get stuck.

While I'm on the clipping issue, I'll mention that there are a few control console models in the rebel base that you can walk through.

And this is more of a gameplay issue: throughout the levels (especially TALAY) there are many small ledges and pillars that stick out from the walls. I found this to be slightly frustrating getting caught up all the time, as I hug the walls a lot when I play. I'm going to suggest that if there are narrow tunnels or elevators (SEWERS) that have detail sticking out, that these in-between areas get a clip brush.

Well, that's all for now. I'm off to play the demo for the 50th time:D...

I'm playing on a Mac and although the mod seems to work, the Moldy Crow does not appear at the end of the first level, which was also a problem in the first demo.

And this is not really a bug, but, seriously, the system requirements of this mod (at least in Talay which is where I'm stuck) are severe and there seems to be nothing I can do to speed it up. My iMac G4 (32MB GeForce2 MX) is less than 3 years old and I don't expect to be able to handle any new game at maximum settings, but I can't even speed it up with minimum settings and all eye-candy off. Switching to low geometry or low textures doesn't help -- were no low-res resources created? I don't know if I'll ever finish Talay simply because it's really hard to fight at 3 frames per second.

I'd need a computer, actually, since iMacs are about as upgradable as laptops (compactness over expandability). Obviously if gaming were a higher priority I'd have a different system.

At the same time, I think it's fair to feel some disappointment that hardware that would have been adequate when the mod began turned out to be inadequate in the end, after all this anticipation.

It's a predictable outcome given that modders are naturally hard-core gamers who are artistically interested in pushing the limits, and who are free of any economic worry of the product being able to run on a large enough installed base of existing hardware to make a profit.

I guess whenever I have a computer that can handle this in the future, I'll really like it. I beg the team, however, that system requirements be frozen at the level of the second demo. If I get a new computer now, and the requirements go up again when the final mod is released, I might go nuts.

• 5 months later...

First of all I just want to say that the maps look great almost everything seems to be more or less intact and the little changes/additions are well done.

That being said I do have a few fairly minor things

1st. No inventory: There's no headlamp/IR goggles to be found. In Secbase, talay, and anoat thats only an inconvenience but later on (detention facility for example) the game will become more or less impossible.

2nd. No extra lives: One of the best thing about DF1 was the extra lives, it helped balance out the difficulty and made for some interesting secrets.

3rd. This one's probably impossible to fix but I'm gonna mention it anyway, Kyle's Fists used to be a lot more useful. In DF1 enemies were blind until you hit them so you could walk up and punch them for a "stealth" kill. Also they used to be a lot more powerful than they are now. Finally the "uppercut" is gone altogether :(

4th. The Dets primary and secondary havn't been changed back to how they used to be.

Again good job guys I'm really looking forward to the final version

Hi Disco Boy,

thanks for your if even late report ;)

Points 1&2 were definitely not possible in the Single Player game, and they are on the list for the MP version.

Point3: What is the "uppercut" you mentioned? Could you pls. explain?

The fists are useless in JA since the ennemies are more intelligent than in DF.

In DF they really only reacted if you hit them or were shooting around in the same sector. In JA, the ennemy detection model is different... there you have just to be around nearby enough and the imps are coming.

4. I don't understand... Do you mean it should be like this?

Primary function: throw DT that jumps and explodes after a while

Secondary function: explode directly on surface hit

Anyway, thanks again for the comments :)

• 2 months later...

Hey guys. I'm the one that helped Tesla help salv get dust on Gromas.

I played the second demo today and I saw some slight errors. The first is that the wrong deformVertexes command was used in the purple water shader in the second map, which causes the water to not stay connected with its self when there is a split in the brush.

The other bigger thing I noticed was that there was no dynamic glow! Where did it go? You should be able to make things react with it by adding:

glow

To the light shader. It would make everything look SOOO much better.

Did the coders take it out or something?

Another thing I saw was that there are still no first person fists. That will definately be needed for the map with Jabba and the Kell Dragon.

I have never actually played to the sewer map because I always push a wrong F1-F12 button and mess something up. Another thing that would make it seem more like Dark Forces (which it definately does feel Dark Forcish) would be to code in the old DF counsol commands. Like laimlame and- thats the only one I can currently remember.:)

One last thing I saw. The cutscenes, the models lips don't move. It was a bummer seeing that.

Things I liked! I really absolutely loved the new music that replaces the MIDIs. Well done whoever did that. I liked the second map. The debris is really well done. It looks EXACTLY as I can remember the actual DF map looking. The weapons were amazing too (execpt for the fists;) ). Great job on the models!

Thats all I have to say for now. Keep up the great mod guys.

Originally posted by BabySpinach

Things I liked! I really absolutely loved the new music that replaces the MIDIs. Well done whoever did that.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Keep in mind that the demo is indeed a demo and not a final release. There came a point where we said " We know there are a few things that aren't perfect, but for a demo release its good enough for the community to see what we're doing" (especially since we ended up releasing it almost 10 months after we intended to). Just about everything you had mentioned has already been noted and will be updated for the final release.

Right now our big hurdle is converting our SP maps to the MP engine using the Open Jedi Project.

Another thing that would make it seem more like Dark Forces (which it definately does feel Dark Forcish) would be to code in the old DF counsol commands. Like laimlame and- thats the only one I can currently remember.:)

Oh come on, everyone should remember lapostal!

;):rolleyes:

The first is that the wrong deformVertexes command was used in the purple water shader in the second map, which causes the water to not stay connected with its self when there is a split in the brush.

Ah, strange. How can we solve this?

The other bigger thing I noticed was that there was no dynamic glow! Where did it go? You should be able to make things react with it by adding:

glow

To the light shader. It would make everything look SOOO much better.

Did the coders take it out or something?

The coders are not the guilty ppl, coz they don't work on shaders, they are "just" coding the engine ;)

No, it's my fault. I thought my glow shaders were basically correct.

At least there were lighting.

But you're right, i always missed the light halo... Is THIS the dynamic glow!???

I always thought the "glow" keyword was just a replacement for the "blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE" and wondered why it was there.

No other explanation...

I did not add explicitely the glow line.

I'll check the glows... and do some tests.

But... they don't make sense everywhere.

It might also be that our configuration file for the demo disabled Dynamic Glow.

Please start the mod, and check if Dynamic Glow is enabled there...

I know one place in Sewers, the last room, FatSpider used some original textures that really show dynamic glow.

Do you mean e.g. these?

Originally posted by BabySpinach Another thing I saw was that there are still no first person fists. That will definately be needed for the map with Jabba and the Kell Dragon.

Known and already reported bug.

I have never actually played to the sewer map because I always push a wrong F1-F12 button and mess something up. Another thing that would make it seem more like Dark Forces (which it definately does feel Dark Forcish) would be to code in the old DF counsol commands. Like laimlame and- thats the only one I can currently remember.:)

Well, we are NOT doing a Total Conversion with ALL the stuff from DF.

Such things will come at the very end when all maps are done and the coders don't know what to do else ;)

Originally posted by BabySpinach One last thing I saw. The cutscenes, the models lips don't move. It was a bummer seeing that.

Also already known "bug".

Anyway, its a demo, and with the valuable input of you and others we can make it nearly perfect at the end :)

About the dynamic glow. Yes I triple checked that it was enabled and this is what I was refering to. I used it on all of my light shaders in my last map.

Click!

About the water shader. If you post it here I can take a look. Or you can contact me on MSN.

BabySpinach13 (AT) hotmail.com

Originally posted by Disco Boy

3rd. This one's probably impossible to fix but I'm gonna mention it anyway, Kyle's Fists used to be a lot more useful. In DF1 enemies were blind until you hit them so you could walk up and punch them for a "stealth" kill. Also they used to be a lot more powerful than they are now. Finally the "uppercut" is gone altogether :(

What was this "uppercut"? I just remember the fist having just one attack, like Doom.

Let me first say that I love this MOD! I can't wait until the whole thing is completed.

That out of the way, I think I found a problem: In Anoat I go through the first (west) gate and thow the switch. I see out the window that the sewage level in the central tank rises all the way up to the door that is opened by the switch in the 2nd gate.

However, when I get back to the central area by going through the 2nd or 3rd gates, the sewage is back down to the bottom.

Thanks and great work.

Archived