Home

Outrageous newbie questions

Dooku's Brother

Hi, and thanks for having a look at what may be a string of woefully pathetic questions.

I'm not a regular gamer. In fact I don't have any games on my computer now except Mike Oldfield's Tres Lunas and Maestro - and now Battlefront. The last week has been a lot of fun learning the game and just marveling at what's possible. But a few things have left me puzzled and I can't find answers in the very thin manual that comes with the game, or with the information at Lucas Arts. So perhaps some of you can help me.

And before I start on the questions let me point out that I've been playing exclusively in the Clone Wars on the side of the Republic.

First of all, replenishment. I notice those canisters lying about the battlefield and assume the ones with liquid replensih your health and the others replenish your ammo. Does simply walking or running over them pick them up? Or do you have to do something more active? I've noticed the droids sometimes drop these canisters when they die. Are the droid and republic ammo interchangable? Do the droids also drop health cansisters?

About posing. I've found how to crouch, buit is it possible to fire from a crouch? Is it possible to fire from a prone position?

About weapons. I've figured out how to toggle between primary and secondary weapons with the mouse dial, how to throw grenades, but how do you drop mines?

About jets. I've tried playing the trooper with the jet pack but haven't fiugured out how to make the guy fly.

All help very much appreciated. I've been playing all week in the Instant Action mode, largely just to get a feel for the game. Next week I've got a few days off work and nothing planned so I hope start on to a campaign then - at least once I get some of these questions sorted out!

Thanks for reading this far.

D's Bro

Originally posted by Dooku's Brother

Hi, and thanks for having a look at what may be a string of woefully pathetic questions.

Lol don't worry about it. :)

First of all, replenishment. I notice those canisters lying about the battlefield and assume the ones with liquid replensih your health and the others replenish your ammo. 1.Does simply walking or running over them pick them up? Or do you have to do something more active? I've noticed the droids sometimes drop these canisters when they die. 2.Are the droid and republic ammo interchangable? 3.Do the republic also drop health cansisters?

Ok starting for the top going down...

1.Yes. Just walking over the health and ammo canisters does pick them up. But this is only when you need them

2.Yes. All the canisters on the field and usable by both sides.

3.Yes.When a person from and faction (Droids, Clones, Empire,Rebels) dies he, she or it leaves either a health, ammo or both.

About posing. I've found how to crouch, buit is it possible to fire from a crouch? Is it possible to fire from a prone position?

Yes you can fire in both postions...But in the prone pose you can only fire when not moving.

About weapons. I've figured out how to toggle between primary and secondary weapons with the mouse dial, how to throw grenades, but how do you drop mines?

Ok...First to change secondary weapons press G. After you do this you can press right-click to use them. 2ndly to drop mines you have to be a rocket trooper (Rebel Vanguard, Imperial Shock Trooper, Clone Arc Trooper or Droid ((CIS)) Assalut Droid).

About jets. I've tried playing the trooper with the jet pack but haven't fiugured out how to make the guy fly.

To use the jet pack on the Imperial Dark Trooper or the Clone Jet Trooper just hit the space bar twice. (This may take a little while to get used to :))

Hope I Helped!

RebelScum1/RebelScum!

- Simply walk over the canisters to pick them up and the bonus will be automatically transferred to your health/ammo cache. Any ammo canister will add to your ammo cache regardless of who dropped it.

- Firing in crouched/prone position is not only possible, but it makes your shots a little more accurate.

- There is also a secondary weapon toggle key - default is either the F or G key (been a while since I've played...)

- To utilize the jet troopers jet ability (this also applies to the dark trooper on the Empire side), you jump once to get in the air and then quickly tap the jump key again to get the jet pack ignited.

The first thing I do when getting a new game is reading the manual. And if I have a problem or question, I read the manual.

Nowadays, though, most manuals are half-heated and nobody reads them. Come on, play off-line a little before going on-line and read the dang manual!

Now, in the absence of those, it's of course possible and justifiable to be clueless. I played Battle field [Viet Nam] on an Internet cafe without the manual, and I still haven't figured out what the engineer's shovel does:D . If you have the manual, though, there's no excuse.

I have nothing against questions. Also, in nearly every game of GC I give tips to people. But when people ask such basic questions as "how do I take off" (BF VN Helicopter), that does tick me off.

Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle

The first thing I do when getting a new game is reading the manual. And if I have a problem or question, I read the manual.

Nowadays, though, most manuals are half-heated and nobody reads them. Come on, play off-line a little before going on-line and read the dang manual!

Now, in the absence of those, it's of course possible and justifiable to be clueless. I played Battle field [Viet Nam] on an Internet cafe without the manual, and I still haven't figured out what the engineer's shovel does:D . If you have the manual, though, there's no excuse.

I have nothing against questions. Also, in nearly every game of GC I give tips to people. But when people ask such basic questions as "how do I take off" (BF VN Helicopter), that does tick me off.

The Battlefront manual sucks. It doesn't explain how to use the jet pack, or how to use the Orbital Strikes

The readme file that comes on the CD also provides some info that supplements the (paltry, unfortunately) info of the Manual.

Btw, I noticed (at least in 1.01, I haven't tried 1.1 yet) that in order to gain extra ammo, it was sometimes necessary to "reload" my weapon to fill up my ammo completely.

You can get health from standing near health droids (those tall gray cylindrical droids with the many robotic arms), and those bacta tank pickups can also be tossed by Pilots.

The ammo pickups (little gray boxes with red trim) likewise can be dropped by pilots and you can restore ammo by standing near Power Droids ("Gonk" the box shaped dude with the feet).

If you're wondering what those Astromech (R5) droids are for, they are for "healing" vehicles. Pilots can also heal vehicles with their "fusion cutter" tools.

Originally posted by Pho3nix

The Battlefront manual sucks. It doesn't explain how to use the jet pack, or how to use the Orbital Strikes

I think the manual writers assumed (correctly) that most consumers would be regular gamers. For those of us who are not sometimes even the simplest things need explaining.

When I found the manual was somewhat skimpy I checked LucasArts website, but there wasn't anything there either.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions - all of you.

Originally posted by Kurgan

The readme file that comes on the CD also provides some info that supplements the (paltry, unfortunately) info of the Manual.

Btw, I noticed (at least in 1.01, I haven't tried 1.1 yet) that in order to gain extra ammo, it was sometimes necessary to "reload" my weapon to fill up my ammo completely.

You can get health from standing near health droids (those tall gray cylindrical droids with the many robotic arms), and those bacta tank pickups can also be tossed by Pilots.

The ammo pickups (little gray boxes with red trim) likewise can be dropped by pilots and you can restore ammo by standing near Power Droids ("Gonk" the box shaped dude with the feet).

If you're wondering what those Astromech (R5) droids are for, they are for "healing" vehicles. Pilots can also heal vehicles with their "fusion cutter" tools.

I already found that the pilots were helpful in topping up ammo and health, but this is the first I heard about the bots. I wondered why they were on every planet at every battle.

Thanks for the tip.

Here's another outrageous newbie question:

How do you save a game in Historical Campaign?

The manual says the game will automatically give you the option to save your game when completing a mission. Evertime I complete a mission I get the leader board, but I never see any chance to save.

What have I missed?

Please tell me because I'm sick of playing the same three missions in a row (that's usually the point at which I've had enough for one session).

Thanks for all your help guys.

DB

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

For the historical campaign there's an auto-save I believe. It will save after each battle you've won. That's what happened for me though perhaps you forgot to turn on a an option or something.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

I think I've figured it out. I've found the arrows that let you scroll through the completed maps when you launch HC.

But someone in another thread mentioned a "do want to save" screen. Am I the only one who's not seen this?

DB

No problem, plus, I am sure we have all been asked way more stupid questions than this! :)

Thanks for reading this far.

D's Bro [/b]

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

I would have put my two cents in, but everyone answered...:(

• 3 weeks later...

1. How do you get the the guys carrying rocket launchers to lay mines?

2. How do you get the sniper to send out a recon droid? How do you call down an air assault on a target?

3. How do you toggle between haywire and concussion grenades for the clonetroopers?

Thanks!

Read the FAQ.

1. How do you get the the guys carrying rocket launchers to lay mines?

2. How do you get the sniper to send out a recon droid? How do you call down an air assault on a target?

3. How do you toggle between haywire and concussion grenades for the clonetroopers?

Thanks!

1. Change to the mines (default is G if you're on PC) and then use secondary funtion.

2. Change secondary weapons, and then use secondary function to send it out. When it's out, hold down primary fire for long enough and it charges up and the big lasers come down.

3. Again, just change secondary weapon.

Hope that helped :)

When i get it for xmas im gonna be a noob but if u have to play the game through game spy or any other program m dad wont get it so i would i like to no if u can acces online through the game on the main menu u know like other games and how many play online through the game

• 4 months later...

Archived