Home

Real Hobbits

Boba Rhett

Originally posted by Agen_Terminator

Hasn't it been proven many times that brain size doesn't nake that much difference to intelligence?

yes, a canine with a brain 1/3 our size can have the same IQ as our smartest person. But the ability to achieve the knowledge to contain is more common among great apes. And humans are mostly too arogant to admit we could be intellectually inferior to other animals. Just because we can't understand animals doesn't mean we're smarter than them, and doesn't mean they don't have their own forms of language. Hell even humans have different languages, and we hardly have a "basic" language. Does that make english speakers more advanced than german speakers? or mandarin speakers more advanced than english speakers? no, it's just how we were raised and the cultural surroundings.

There are lots of studies that have concluded dogs speak a very primitive style language distinctive on tones. Many tones human ears are incapable of hearing.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually larger brains are fairly connected with increased intelligence, not necessarily the size of mass, but the total surface area of the brain.

Since our brain is all wavey like and folded and mushy it has a lot of surface area, which in turn leads to a lot more processing power.

That's only been linked to attainability of storable knowledge, an animal with a brain much smaller could technically hold the same amount of information as a human or animal with a larger brain. But they as you said in your processor statement wouldn't exactly be able to process the information faster, or display this information as quickly as a larger brained creature, but based upon scale and grooves in the brain itself, the animal could hold just as much, if not more information than a human.

I wouldn't necessarily say that this dude is gonna change teh history of man or anything. He might be just a species of humans adapted to his land. Just like the many species of humans we have today. Africans and Equatorians have adapted to the excess heat.

Northeners and Southeners have adapted to cold.

Easterners have (adapted?) with their stretched eyes. You can't say that they're shacking the foundations of evoultions. The Hobbit is merely a species adapted to his land. Why haven't then, "hobbits" been found in other areas than that island?

I don't know, but for some reason, I just don't accept this short dude.

Originally posted by LukeKatarn

I think it might be true, but not related to a human. I honestley DON'T belive in evolution. Maybe that's because I'm religous though...

Yes you are right, humans and all the species just *FLOP!*, or not, Noe made a big ship..it must be that!!

Originally posted by Sabretooth

Just like the many species of humans we have today. Africans and Equatorians have adapted to the excess heat.

Northeners and Southeners have adapted to cold.

Easterners have (adapted?) with their stretched eyes.

lol...those are the same specie, they can have fertile offspring. Just talk to an antropologist.

And just say that the little man has nothing to do with the actual human, he is like a neardental, another human specie which just got extinct, they might have a bit of intelligence but thats all.

Adaptation. It's a perfectly feasible idea to think that these are just another race of human. Smaller brain size doesn't mean they were stupid, they have much less of a body for the brain to control. If you're religious (like me) there's no reason to think they didn't come from Adam and Eve.

Sabertooth: 'Easterners' don't have stretched eyes, they simply have a different skin structure around the eye. ;)

Also, this phenomenon has been seen in nature many times before, as I said; the whole point of it, is that it happens in isolation. Big things get small. So you won't be finding this species just everywhere. (Maybe on some neighboring islands.)

LightNinja: Note that Neanderthals more than likely were able to produce fertile offspring with humans, according to current (last I checked) theory.

So the fact that it walked upright, was similar in the build of humans, built tools and fire, and probably even cooked it's food (the last three being things that ONLY humans do currently) doesn't imply a relation to humans?

Even if they can make tools and stuff does not mean they are human. You can't think of humans as the only smart beings. Other things probabley could walk up right. And wanyway, they can be realated to humans just not evolution. There is no way we could evolve from apes. God created humans and animals, not just animals and animals that turn into humans.

who's to say who's right and wrong?

How would you explain dinosuars and the transitional Ape-Human skulls they found?

How would you explain the "survival of the fittest" behavior in both humans and animals?

don't get me wrong, but I just wonder where YOU think those things came from...

Originally posted by LukeKatarn

And wanyway, they can be realated to humans just not evolution.

How exactly would we be related to another species if not through evolution? How is it that evolution is so impossible?

I know a lot of religious people who believe in evolution. It's a matter of them not taking the bible literally, and realizing that if there IS a divine Creator then he could have developed humans any way that he wanted. And if he wanted to do it through evolution then that would be his perogative.

on a mildy related note, yesterday scientists made a big leap in their ideas of how the eye developed. I didn't completely follow the science, but they seem to have discovered photo-reactive cells in the brain of a worm that bear major resemblances to the cones and things in the back of the eyes of more complex organisms.

One of the arguements against evolution that has often been used is the whole "intelligent design" movement who claim evolution couldn't lead to highly complex items like eyes. This seems to be a first (very early) step towards working out how eyes did infact develop.

Seems like this has been a good week as far as improving our knowledge of how evolution works, but there is still a long way to go...

Originally posted by kipperthefrog

who's to say who's right and wrong?

How would you explain dinosuars and the transitional Ape-Human skulls they found?

How would you explain the "survival of the fittest" behavior in both humans and animals?

don't get me wrong, but I just wonder where YOU think those things came from...

GOD! Apes and humans might both be inteligent, but there is no way they evolved from eachother. Teh ywouild be BREAKING THEIR BACKS doing it! A monkey who's back is curved, can not just make it stright. And what the HECK? What skills do we share? Not many. And well, survival of the fittest is just the way god made things. And in the bible, ((I belive it is in there)) it talks about Adam and Eve. THEY WERE THE FIRST HUMANS! God might have made dinosours first to test the earth, then he created humans and animals. And don't get me wrong, humans are mammels which ARE animals, but we are still not related to monkies.

If God is perfect and omniscient, then he wouldn't have needed to "test" the earth. Having to test it would imply that he had made a mistake in it's creation, which a perfect being would not do.

And I think you're misunderstanding evolution. The monkeys didn't just one day decide "hey, we're gonna be humans." Genetic mutations that proved beneficial eventually led to the creation of new species. (well, in a nutshell that's how it works)

and yet humans who came from adam and eve have managed to change to different heights, different body types, differnent skin colours? How come humans can develop black skin because it works better in strong sun (adaption to environment) and yet evolution (adaption to the environment) is impossible?

Ever hear of oliver?

ollie1.jpg

He is an ape who walked upright. Mutation? Probably. But that is how evolution works...

Hmmmm, somehow I suspect that this thread has deviated into a "Creation vs. Evolution" thread. I suppose I'll put my two cents in.

As some of you may know, I'm a Christian, but I don't really have a problem with the evolution theory. After all, the Bible isn't a science book; it was never meant to be. Therefore, I don't take everything the Bible says about the creation of the world literally. If God made the world through evolution, it doesn't diminish Him in any way in my eyes. I can easily picture a God who gradually changes plants and animals throughout time to match changes in their surroundings in order that they continue to be fruitful and multiply.

You also have to keep in mind that the Bible had to be written so that it was understood by all. The average person knew next to nothing about science in those days. If the Bible talked about "millions of years" and "The Big Bang" in creation, it would have seriously hampered people's abilities to comprehend what happened. It had to be written in a way that they could at least get a vague idea of how God made the universe.

To tell you the truth, I don't really mind how God made the world; I'm just glad He did. ;)

My only problem with evolution is that I do not see how a speciation could occur. In order for something to be of a different species, it has to be unable to produce fertile offspring with a member of a different species (although I'm not sure how species are defined for asexual species). So, in order for a new species to survive past the second generation, there would have to be two identical mutations (and they have to be mutations that result in a new species), at the same time, in the same location, and have to mate together. Of course, this would require inbreeding to continue the species, and would result in a dangerously low amount of biodiversity, and a species that is easily threatened with extinction. So for the species to really last, there would have to be even more identical mutations in the same area and time. This just seems too improbable to me. That being said, I am not a Christian, and I dont believe creationism is the way God works. So for now, I assume that there is something else we have not though about it, and keep an open mind.

Archived