Home

Hacking Grim Fandango

ThunderPeel2001

Hi! I hope someone can help me here... I'm trying desperately to increase the polygon count on the models in Grim Fandango. I realize this might be a futile gesture, but i'd still like to try and see what happens.

I seem to be able to extract files from GF's archives, but they seem further compressed (like EMI's zipped files) and I have no idea with what.

If anyone could give me any ideas on how to access and manipulate GF's files, I would be very appreciative!

Thanks for any help!

- TP

The file's arent further compressed, the models are in lec's 3do format. There are already some tools that can edit 3do's as used by (Jedi Knight?). In Grim though the format was changed from text to binary and some things moved around.

The models in the demo version of Grim used the original 3do format though, so you can open them with existing tools.

To increase the poly count you'd have to edit the model, add in more detail and then save back to the original 3do wouldnt you? You might be able to do it with the 3do's in the Grim demo but not with the ones in the full game unless someone writes a new plugin for editors.

Mind you, thanks to aquadran caving in to my naggin- , er, braving the depths of LUA... Residual should be doing a lot more around Christmas once the next few major elements are implemented.

After that it's a very simple matter to add in a slab of code to load whatever format you want. I'd suggest Cal3d, for which there are 3ds max, Maya and Blender exporters at least.

If someone seriously wants to do a Grim Fandango: Remastered then ask me again after the save/load support is complete and I'll be more than willing to get you started :)

Originally posted by masterdebator

:D

Will it be useful for JUST Grim and M4? If you could give the source code, so I can finish my update on MI1 and 2, I am trying verry hard to edit the levels in CMI...

Residual is only for Grim Fandango (at least atm) and the source is available via CVS (see the ScummVM project page on SourceForge).

That would be very good if someone could upgrade the models and textures :). But I imagine it would be very time consuming, because isn't each bone of each character stored as an individual file?

And, if you just changed the models, would the game still work properly, or would there be any problems with the code because of the new models?

Originally posted by James Isaac

That would be very good if someone could upgrade the models and textures :). But I imagine it would be very time consuming, because isn't each bone of each character stored as an individual file?

And, if you just changed the models, would the game still work properly, or would there be any problems with the code because of the new models?

In terms of remodelling, you are best starting from scratch. Using the existing files as a base is silly. As far as the technical part goes, no, each bone is not an individual file. There are multiple 'costumes' however.

If you remodelled correctly, it should probably work. But as exporting models for the original game is quite technically challenging... using Residual as a base gives lots of time to get the remodelling project perfect... since it'll still take us a bit to ensure the whole engine is more or less bug free anyway :)

Is whoever re-models the characters going to re-render the cutscenes too with matching models? :p

I think for continuity's sake, if any updating is going to be done to Grim, it shouldn't go much further than a high-res texture pack. Otherwise things just won't match up anymore when it switches from cutscene to in-game.

Uhhhh...?

The models already don't match up. They don't even match up in game!

Look at Manny's hands as he goes over the brochures in the opening sequence, and then look at them towards the end of the game.

Also, look at Manny's hands when you get something out of his suit (the close up screen) and then look at them in-game proper.

Increasing the polygon count would look great... smoothing off some of the uglier edges, giving Glottis a mouth without holes in it etc. That's all I'm talking about.

Sadly nothing can be done about the cut-sequence inconsistencies :(

• 6 years later...

Archived