Home

Who else thought that Battlefront was a disapointment?

E.T.G.

Do you think Battlefront was a disapointment  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Battlefront was a disapointment

• Yes
    • No

This game is really not that bad. I kinda find it a little bit addictive. But compared to some other star wars games and other War-based game I think it could've done better. The trailers and ads made it look good but it's just a disappointment for us gamers.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Each to his opinion of course. I haven't played BF1942, but if it's anything like Battlefront, then it is nowhere near the "benchmark for all FPS games."

I'd put that closer to say the UT series, or the JK series, depending upon what things you consider "essential" in terms of benchmarks (gameplay? graphics? puzzles? story? single player? multiplayer?).

Then again if you just want to talk engines, then the Quake games and Unreal games are it, because those are the engines that most FPS games are based on, these days. Then of course we the less popular LithTech and now Doom3 to add to that list of liscensed FPS engines...

Anyway, if you're a big BF1942 fan, I'm told there's this free Star Wars mod for it called "Galactic Conquest" (see LucasFiles.com)....

Well, what you have said makes sense no doubt. I am upset with the finished product that went gold or bronze. Obviously there is massive potential, anyone can see that. This just seems like a pioneered effort instead of an effort that should have been based on all the great examples and content that has been available for years. I am very passionate about Star Wars and felt compelled to voice my opinion. If people leave the community, you don't have me and the countless others who are extremely disappointed with this effort to blame. Please blame Pandemic for an inferior product and Lucas for the ridiculous deadline. My hope along with all Star Wars fans is for this game to follow the path of BF1942, which had a ton of problems when it came out. So hopefully a year from now SWBF will finally be a proud Star Wars and BF1942 model.

MD

Originally posted by Kurgan

Each to his opinion of course. I haven't played BF1942, but if it's anything like Battlefront, then it is nowhere near the "benchmark for all FPS games."

I'd put that closer to say the UT series, or the JK series, depending upon what things you consider "essential" in terms of benchmarks (gameplay? graphics? puzzles? story? single player? multiplayer?).

Then again if you just want to talk engines, then the Quake games and Unreal games are it, because those are the engines that most FPS games are based on, these days. Then of course we the less popular LithTech and now Doom3 to add to that list of liscensed FPS engines...

Anyway, if you're a big BF1942 fan, I'm told there's this free Star Wars mod for it called "Galactic Conquest" (see LucasFiles.com)....

I agree to a certain extent. I am talking about a multiplayer game that allows vehicle and infantry combat. Some more good examples are BFVietnam and UT2004. I am not a huge UT2004 vehicle/infantry fan. I play UT2004 in DM all the time though and it's a great, great game that way no doubt the best. I am going to run with this. Take a look at UT2004. They could have just made more maps and slapped a 2004 title on it. But no, they took the ball and pulled off the same play the Tenessee Titans did against the Bills many years ago on the last play of the game. They went above and beyond all expectations for a sequel. I felt BFVietnam didn't go as high in standards as UT2004 but it is still a very solid sequel. Now you try to look at SWBF the same way and you cannot. It's not finished by a long shot. The Jedi games are great games but they are not of the same genre as far as vehicle/infantry combat. I should know I have beaten them all. Also, I am a huge fan of the Lith Tech/Jupiter engine. I am currently enjoying TRON 2.0 immensely. Listen, my whole point was just to say that I LOVE Star Wars! I feel that when a game is made after this license that there needs to be more quality checks involved and no ridiculous deadlines. My hope is that this game is finished and becomes one of the greatest of all time. Thanks for your reply and I have played the Galactic Conquest mod and I think it's a good work in progress.

MD

Galatcic conquest (UT mod) is ify and it does not feel right, but now when we have a new game, and good engine from pandemic thing are better in SW gaming world. Every SW game before, I didnt like much (didnt play Galaxies though), or thay were just OK. This is the first time I took efort to play the SW game much longer then before. So, you are right they could have made better game/levels, but I guess they were pushed by LA. Anyhow, engine is great and I am confident that the community (guru and others) will make this game legend but in a year or so. And do not ferget, If LA goes to SWBF 2 in the future, who knows what they will bing to us. I am also bit dissapointed in maps/size/vehicles but very happy that there is good enough SW game which can be improved (and this is what we on editing forum are trying to do, but it is hard for now).

Just played it with the new patch and all I have to say is wow, a vast improvement. Within 8 wks of release a good patch. The AI was much better. I was getting slaughtered by the AI. We need more people online for PC plz. Ive been playing BF42 since the single player demo and Im not a total noob at FPS games. I usually make the top ten in BF42. I will say the textures are not that good in SWBF. You can make improvements on that. Look at what Merciless Creations did for BF42. There is such a night and day difference in sound and enviorment. First person skins can be changed. That is the only problem I see now, that is communications.

It's clear Pandemic rushed the title to meet the Star Wars DVD release.

What is almost as clear is that Pandemic looks like they are making a strong effort to patch up the problems. Now one month after release we are getting another patch v1.1 from Pandemic. That's allot faster than most developers I know.

Dice's Battlefiled:1942 was buggy and a resource hog at v.1.0. It wasn't until 1.4 that many of the bigger problems like lag and hit boxes were dealt with. We need to show a little patience.

richcz3

I played Battlefield 1942 for two + years (still play it occasionally) so I'll simply say this:

I like Star Wars: Battlefront *because* it's different. If it was the same game, what would be the draw? I like the fun action-packed battles, I like the strict character classes, and I like the Star Wars.

1942 is a great game, but it is different. It's slower paced, bigger terrain and anchored in reality.

Battlefront is a Sci-Fi game in a make-believe universe... it shouldn't be copy/pasted on top of the 1942 engine, it should be its own beast.

One thing I have become over time as a PC gamer is patient. There is hardly a game created that is perfect out of the box. I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, that the last game to come out that was perfect and didn't need any patches was Freedom Fighters by EA. This game was AWESOME and I haven't seen the squad based order system done this well since this game. So, I am patient, it's just when Star Wars is involved I would like to see games that are made in this universe treated with the same respect as the Star Wars movies. Let me clarify that I don't want to wait 3 years for a Star Wars game to come out, like we wait for the Star Wars movies. But I feel it doesn't always take as long to make a game as a movie depending on the type of game. Half Life 2 took 5 years to finish and will be available 11/16/04 and it's already game of the year, hands down and no questions asked. Star Wars needs this respect.

To Developers, Please don't use Star Wars as a quick buck license like Star Trek became.

Thanks for all your replies and I agree with them all to a certain extent. I hope this SWBF game runs the same course as BF1942.

MD

To add a point in the positive column, Pandemic has disclosed they will release tools at some point.

Keep in mind, even after BF:1942 was doing really well in sales, DICE never released any official tools for the modding community.

Without soundling like a fan boy, lets see how long Pandemic keeps the support up.

richcz3

I am disappointed. There was not enough work and precision put into this game, considering that it was such a great title with high potential for awesomeness. Too many bugs, too inconvenient of an interface, too much focus on the console (although I acknowledge that SW:BF was initially created for XBox and PS2). These problems probably shifted people away from the community, mainly based on PC play.

Now that the technical issues are coming under control through the patches im hoping they can focus more on some future updates. The concept of this game is one that really could be massive in the gaming community.

At the moment i think my only gripe would be that the maps are too small. Some of the missions with the Tie fighters and X-wings need expanding because there just isnt enough room for these guys to fly around and dogfight. A Death star level would be nice :)

But with the SW universe being so huge and diverse im not worried that they will run out of idea's on additions to the game.

I liked the game right out of the box, to be quite honest... I didn't think it was goin to be the next best thing in the FPS genre, but it is alot of fun. patches will only make this game better..

people crying about not having a light sabre is pretty dam sad.. hahahahah give me a break here guys..

Originally posted by rozo100

I dont see why you dont like it E.T.G....... Becuse it is my #1 favoret game!(even tho ive never playd it! :duel::newbie:

I had thought the same thing, and I wanted it really really really really really really really really really bad, but to tell the truth, It sucks.:chop1::hang1:

Originally posted by grep

people crying about not having a light sabre is pretty dam sad.. hahahahah give me a break here guys..

I would have to agree with this. Even though I didnt like this game, it wasent because there wasent a lightsabre.:mob:

As much as I love BF1942, I must say this game "feels" better.

SWBF feels like WAR. BF1942 doesn't. In SWBF, you get really intense firefights. It was indeed rare in BF1942 that it gets intense(maybe it's just me who can't find a worthy challenge anymore x_x).

Galactic Conquest doesn't feel right at all. The maps are too large. Sure it's realistic but hey, too large is too large.

BFVietnam feels even less like war. For now, the map design of that game sucks. Seriously.

My only playtime with the BF serie is now down to Forgotten Hope and Eve of Destruction.

I would compare SWBF to UT like Kurgan, though to some extent. It would be more a mix of UT and BF. It offers challenging infantry maps, mixes of both and vehicle maps.

The only thing that bothers me about this game is that the only thing that can bring down a vehicle is another vehicle. I also find that Rebels vs Imperials is way off being balanced, the Imperials will start off with 3 at-sts and the Rebels get 2 speeder things that dont stand a chance against an at-st with a pilot in it. When I play as the Rebels I usually find that the only way I can win is to steal an Imperial vehicle.

Archived