Home

Elections

Alien426

Whom did you vote for?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Whom did you vote for?

• I voted for Kerry.
    • I would have voted for Kerry (not old enough, 'wrong' country).
    • I'm an idiot and haven't watched Fahrenheit 9/11.

I'm in "not watched farenheit 9/11" and "would have, wrong country" sections. Well, America might be the land of the free, but

Englang is the land of the eng!!!!!!!!!

(ing)

sorry, I just wanted to point that out...

I did watch farenheit 9/11, but it seemed to have been made by a guy who's sole objective was to make everybody hate bush, as apose to most documentaries that normally give you the facts and let you decide (don't say "that's exactly what he did" he was very sly about being biased). Of course I'm not saying i would have voted for Bush had I been American, and I probably won't vote for Blair, but it is a lot of peoples view that Bush knows more about the problems he's caused than anyone and so technically, the only man who could fix things would be Bush.

It's kinda like building tarmac roads, it may not sound green, but it is.

Originally posted by Kjølen

Not wanting to get into a party fight, I woulda voted Bush if I was old enough because of the abortions thing. My Church feels extremely strong about the subject.

*edit: Post no. 3333*

Do you honestly believe that people should be forced by law to follow religious beliefs? :confused: What about freedom?

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance. - Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Also, (I don't live in USA but) doesn't the Constitution say that laws should not be influenced by religious beliefs?

I think abortions go a lot further than religious beliefs, but Bush's view on it just coincided with lot of religions, like how it's illegal to kill, that coincides with most religions, but iosn't based on them. I think it's mainly to do with ethics and so on and how people feel about it. But it is a very delicate topic to force a law down on totally.

Originally posted by Emin3m 2

Do you honestly believe that people should be forced by law to follow religious beliefs? :confused: What about freedom?

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance. - Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Also, (I don't live in USA but) doesn't the Constitution say that laws should not be influenced by religious beliefs?

Two things:

1. Yes we are supposed to have a seperation of church and state, but its not 100%. I've heard alot of people talk about how Bush used his religion to garner more votes from strong Christians. (I think he did) Our money has In God We Trust printed on it, but one court in Arkansas(?) was forced to remove a statue stating the ten commandments from their premesis. There's not strict rules here.

2. On Abortion, we watched this movie in my Sociology class talking about what it was like before abortions were legal. The way it worked was women who really wanted one could still go out and find someone to perform it. The thing was many of the people willing to perform it had no actual skill in it and many women were just raped or killed. Some would try to do it on their own by doing things like inserting coat hangers in through their belly button. I'm not saying I'm for the idea of killing off unborn children, but I think in terms of how they can keep the most people safe and healthy keeping abortion legal is the way to go.

Fact of the matter is, politics seems to want to put a line through everything and everything on one side of the line is definately one thing and everything on the other side definately isn't. The thing is, when it comes to abortions and pregnancies,at what point does an embryo stop being an embryo and start being a baby? Answer, there is no point where this happens, there is no line we can draw which says that up till this line it is not a baby and then afterwards, it is, but most countries still won't allow for an abortion after a certain time in pregnancy. I know this is also down to the health of the mother, but mostly it's ethical issues and sme politicians seem to think that after a certain amount of time they are killing a human being as apose to just killing off cells (which women do every day with the morning after pill, but that's no illeghal now is it?

Archived