Home

Who Wants Remake Of Monkey Island I - Ii !!!

paprik

Paprik, i think i could help you to remake MI 1 and MI 2, but there are so many problems...:sweating: Firstly im learning now about 3d animation in 3d studio max, and at the moment i see is very difficult how to animate something, but that´s not all... If you wanna program the game you will need lots of people to make that job, but i continue thinking it would be a great idea to make that game, so if one day you finish the game lots of MI fans will be very happy, you can be sure:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everybody...

dont worry I still work on it! all 3Dgraphic for demo is almost done! I think You will love it.When I finish demo,I will send it to LucasArts and hope for rights :o) Now there are 8 people work on it...but we still looking for people,anyway this is going to be done for fans who love it...I hope you are going to be pleasured..

pat

Originally posted by paprik

When I finish demo,I will send it to LucasArts and hope for rights :o) /B]

Do I smell a lawsuit?

I know LA will after you willingly show them you're rip off.

Oh, and there's no way in cat's hell you are getting those rights.

Sorry to burst your crout-happy bubble Joshi but there will be no lawsuit here. In order for a lawsuit to hold water then they need to prove damages, then they can only sue for that amount. If this demo (not even a complete game) has caused fanancial damage to lucas arts meaning if it has and will draw customers and therefor money earned away from lucas arts using their copyright then by all means show me here now. But the idea of a lawsuit is utterly non-existant. This project is not commercial or generating money for the creator(s) (so technically not even infringing upon international copyright laws) nor is it even drawing people away from any lucasarts games to play this instead (as there's no project to play yet).

The worst that can happen is that Lucas Arts does not grant rights and simply shuts down production, simple as that. All that we are looking for is a simple allowance of use for non-commercial purposes (which is the intent, to release the game for free without legal issues with lucas arts). My guess is that the odds of them allowing it are actually pretty high because they have nothing to loose, and in fact the game could generate more interest for the lucasarts games meaning more money. And hey who knows they may want to buy the demo, hire some staff, and continue the project on their own.... doubtful yes but honestly far more likely than a lawsuit.

they can't and won't sue.

ahh I see.

O BTW I realized I had a spelling error of "crout" where I meant "court", lol sorry.

Well yeah alot of publishers do that, but that's if the project is bad or they don't like it and don't want it to be an annoying little stain on the franchise's shirt. And that may very well happen this time, but I personally have more faith in it then that.

That's why a demo is being made. Make a good little demo to show off what it will be, show it to them, and either they like it or not. IF they say no, then production stops end of story and not too much time was wasted making a near complete game only to be shutdown. In the rare case that perhaps non-commercial rights are granted, then there's a working playable demo to kick off the mojority of the production of the game.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Joshi

But remaking 1 and 2 isn't blasphemy?

It would be blasphemy if they changed the storyline, the riddles, the gameplay, the surroundings, etc... If they fixed the graphics and the sound (adding dialogues and sound effects) it wouldn't be blasphemy... It would be ressurection... We played monkey island 1 and 2 and we spent hours on them. We all agree that they were the absolute adventure games. that happened in 1990. How can you convince a new gamer about that? a gamer that in 1990 was 4years old? those classic games need a refresh, a remake.... If anyone can do it, we are waiting...

All I'm saying is too many carrots spoil the pie (or something to that effect), The first two games were perfect and still are now, they left a lot to the imagination which was why it was so good, it's the closest thing to a book any computer game could reach, to add dialogue recordings and more defined art would, in my eyes, spoil it.

• 1 month later...

I know a way Lucasarts could release something for us MI fans, and still concentrate on all their star wars crap.

Re-release all 4 MI games (adding dialogue and enhanced graphics to the first 3) and redoing the last one in the style of the 1st 3.... (get rid of the butt ugly 3D models, and change the controls back to the point and click style. All in one package.

So all 4 MI games would look and control the same (but of course, the 1st 3 would still play better)

I'd pick it up for say about $50-$60 a pop.

Like the star wars "remastered" DVD's. A good way to milk the franchise, introduce a classic to new players, and satisfy us fanboys.

It's a win win situation.

Originally posted by Alien426

Have you ever hired a recording studio and voice actors, 2D artists and animators? Have you ever paid for box design and advertisement?

Think before you call it a win/win situation.

And on what planet do you live that doesn't need all of that and MORE for ANY game released?

I see high caliber flash cartoons being churned out by the thousands everday for FREE by online enthusiasts. With voice-work.

Remastering all 4 MI games could be pulled off by a pretty small number of programmers and animators. (the voiceovers could be used from the prior games anyways) only leaving the first two games that would need voice-overs.

"remastering" the old MI games would be a lot easier, and cost effective, than making an entire new game, and engine from scratch. (with new jokes, storyline, puzzles, etc.)

But if they released some sort of aniversary edition/ collectors edition containing all 4 games, "remastered", I'm pretty damn sure it would be more of a succes than the their last outing.

It is a win/win situation.

As long as I can play all 4 games on Windows XP, I'd be happy.

(and have them altogether as a set)

Heck i would still buy it even without any added voice-overs, of enhanced graphics.

your negative attitude doesn't make this idea more expensive than new materia would. Why dont' you think about it yourself.

I think you're an idiot.

> "remastering" the old MI games would be a lot easier, and cost effective, than making an entire new game, and engine from scratch. (with new jokes, storyline, puzzles, etc.)

You're just making claims without proof. CMI had 4 script writers, MI1 had 3 and MI2, dunno. Each had tons of graphical artists.

The analogy with flash games is stupid. Show me a flash with more than 5 voices, high quality and hundreds of lines. And also non-linear!

Just pay 5 artists for 2 months at an estimated 2000 $ salary and you have to sell 400 pieces at 50 $ to get even. And that's far from realistic.

Look at the Top Posters on LucasForums.com. Try to find out how many of the people with more than 50 posts to their account know MI and would pay for a new version. Although these people may come from non-english speaking countries I don't even begin to think about localizing the voices.

> As long as I can play all 4 games on Windows XP, I'd be happy.

ScummVM. I think even you are able to find it.

There's also the point of "devolving" MI4. It's not exactly easy, first of all you'd need to hire an engine that's already been used with 3D models against 2D background with a point n click interface, and there haven't been many of those types of games around, so it'll be hard to find. Then it's simply a matter of re-developing the entire game just to fit around that. Point is, it wouldn't happen and people wouldn't buy it because LA developed MI4 to be more market friendly, i.e, something that would sell in todays market of fully 3D games.

And again, you're saying this according to your own specification. You're saying LucasArts should do this because you think everyone want's this. I personally don't want the first 2 to be changed at all. I know a lot of other people who feel the same way. Yes, people do feel the same way as you as well, but you can't claim that LucasArts would win out by doing this without looking at the demographics of people who may actually buy it.

Originally posted by mangaas

Heck i would still buy it even without any added voice-overs, of enhanced graphics.

there's your demographics.

I'd still buy it as a set even without any enhancements.

Just a nice collectors edition of Monkey Island games... (that run with windows XP)

@Alien, does the scummVM version you have come with two free copies of the first 2 MI games?

cause mine doesn't.

And the're not available for purchase from Lucasarts anymore... (except Curse of Monkey Island.. which I still can't get a copy of 'cause there "services are down")

Oh and

You're just making claims without proof

I don't need any proof, rereleasing the MI games in a collectors edition would make a lot of money. (even more without any enhancements, but they run the risk of not attracting newer players, while investing more money would attract more/newer players, and money)

You want to argue the point some more and tell me to give you proof? show me proof that it wouldn't sell.

Heck even the last MI installment sold alright, and was multiplatform (which it didn't deserve in my opinion)

You tell me that a remake of a great series, with great writing, atmosphere, that can appeal to children and adults, marketed correctly, wouldn't sell? The core gaming is there, and it's great, all they need to do is work with what they already got, (which is gold) and add to it. (and try to avoid what they did with MI4)

I see garbage games being released, and with the right touch of marketing, they sell great. They make money.

Here's my proof, first of all, a very small amount of people like adventure games anymore. More people like action adventures with loads of 3d and realistic graphics. You simply saying you would buy the game isn't a demographic, it's a single statistic and frankly, whilst I may also buy it as well as all of the people on this board, it wouldn't be enough to make the money back that would be used to. There simply isn't a big enough fan base.

Oh, and Monkey Isdland 1 and 2 haven't been released as abandonware, so ScummVM wouldn't come with them free.

I think a collectors edition would make the money back, and more.

I see greatist hits of arcade games being released on PS2, annaversary editions of megaman (10 games in one)

There isn't a strong market for archaic 2D sidescrollers, and 80's arcade games, but when you package them all brand new again, and add collectors addition on the wrapper, it sells.

It sells in a gaming industry full of "flashy" 3d games with revolutionary graphics engines.

Your pessimism isn't concrete evidence. It's just pessimism.

Your "if" doesn't hold any more truth than my "if"

Just that my "if" is actually realized every once in a while when an old classic is reborn on a new system or console.

You want evidence, just look how many greatest hits there have been released over the years. If they were failures, then there wouldn't be more being made every year.

Actually since consul gaming has never really gone out of style, but rather built a larger and larger fan base that's not a good comparison at all. The adventure game market has been declining all this time. That makes a bit of a difference. It would probably sell well to grandmas looking for a good present for the grandchildren they hardly know and think that 'flashy' new wrapping makes it look like a tremendous deal.

Originally posted by mangaas

I see greatest hits of arcade games being released on PS2, anniversary editions of Mega Man (10 games in one)

I couldn't find much info on the anniversary editions and don't claim to know too much about console games, but I can't imagine that too much effort went into these re-releases. How much have they been beefed up?

How complex are the arcade games being put into the collector's editions? Do they have voices, lots of backgrounds (not tiled ones) and a verb-based interface that necessitates re-writing of scripts?

mangaas, have you ever even considered that Joshi, Skinkie and I may have a point and you are opinionated?

Well frankly, I haven't seen knew artwork and animation contributed for any re-releases of Mario 64, all they did was make it work on newer gaming systems (something that has already been done for free for the MI games, i.e, scummvm) and that's it. What you were suggesting, revamp the first 2 games completely with voice acting and all, is a bit over the top and not really worth it at all. The sales of anniversary editions of old arcade games have sold enough to be worth the effort becuase not a lot of effort went into them.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Joshi

What you were suggesting, revamp the first 2 games completely with voice acting and all, is a bit over the top and not really worth it at all.

I'm not suggsting only that.

Any rerelease of the entire series in one pack, playable on XP, would be good enough for me.

period. (it would be very economical too)

BUT...

if they were to actually put a lot of work into the game, although it would cost more, it would attract new players as well.

It would be like a completely different looking game and play better, but with the same charm as the original. (I'm talking controlling like an adventre game. (think of Jak and Daxter here.)

There is a reason the 2 original games haven't been released as abandonware yet.

You guys speak as if you're experts in gaming marketing. Yet what I'm propsing is the kind of thing that get's ok'd by gaming publishers all the time.

(The frogger and pacman series has even been revitalized on the console generation, with completely new fanbase) and the pacman game specifically SUCKS!

When old classics get a completely new facelift , it usually spells success.

You guys want to disagree and spew negative comments, call me opinianated, go ahead, it doesn't make you right. The proof is out there, many different examples and franchises, and I'm not going to google it or find you any examples, if you care to look yourselves, you're more than welcome to try and see things from the other side.

Archived