Home

why are we locking topics about tps?? 1.1 doesnt fix framerate and they lost me

I saw somebody complained recently about tps (the framerate cap on net games) and the thread was locked! Why? are we trying to limit information to other people that might be thinking about buying this game now that they might have (but really didn't) fix the game w/ the first major patch? Well I can see my thread getting cut down, but I think people should know that 1) 1.1 does not fix the framerate limitations on network games and 2) I am so disgusted with that and this game that I am not playing it anymore. 3) If enough other people are disgusted and stop playing there wont be anybody left on the servers.

This would otherwise be a great game, but such a minor sounding limitation is so awful to me I wont play and lucas arts has lost my business. You would think with how prevalent software piracy is becoming, publishers releasing pc titles would be a little bit more careful with their customers that still pay money, but no, I will not pay money for any more of these products.

The rest I posted in the server admin forum, but it goes into more detail about the framerate cap:

Awhile back I called out for more servers with high tps and I also urged pandemic to improve net gameplay so that players could enjoy 60/70+ framerates on their high end graphics cards while playing online. This 'community' said that net performance was compromised with high tps, and instead of rising up with me other server admins just cowed and ignored me and therefore I was ignored by pandemic. No one even bothered to add their server’s tps to their server name. I haven’t played this for about a month.

Today we have the latest junk packaged to us from lucas and pandemic: 1) an in-game browser that we should have been given to start, and is probably useless since everybody that still plays this game probably uses some other browser. 2) More ‘features’ or options for the server that again should have been in the initial release and 3) a fix for entering vehicles in cases of lag. Most grievously, however, they have not addressed the framerate/ tps issue and they didn’t even add all of the server options to the browser filters so that players could search for a specific setting like servers running at a higher tps.

I guess the developers couldn’t program a net code that could allow a game to run smoothly over the net but yet offer players a reasonable framerate at the standards of every other game on the market (60fps or even 50fps!) I want my $ back, but no, its too late for that, but you can bet this is the last time a lot of people are going to trust this developer. And we all know the publisher hands out the star wars license to anyone as long as they get their $.

I gave it a shot though, installed the patch and joined a server, and sure enough 20 fps. When you are running a 6800 gt and play other games between 50 and 60fps this is just crap.

Are you talking about US here, or are you talking about the LucasArts.com forums?

I'm sorry I haven't been watching this one very carefully.

Generally, reasons for locking threads are as follows:

1) Flaming and Trolling. Good topics can be derailed when people resort to fighting and repetative arguments (real debates go in forums like the "Senate Chambers" when possible).

2) Multiple posting. I'm talking here about people not just duplicating threads, but also posting the same exact topic instead of contributing to an existing one on the same subject already. More often than not however, threads are merged. If it's just one post or something, the mod closing the thread will usually post a link to the topic and urge the thread starter to take the discussion there instead.

3) Spam. Pointless threads that have nothing to do with the forum or are intended merely as "flame bait" (similar to #1).

Topics posted in the wrong forum are generally moved, or sometimes (rarely) they are locked with a suggestion of where to take the discussion (to the appropriate forum).

I know of no "conspiracy" to suppress legit information about the game here. The only general rule we have is that if you're asking for CD cracks or how to pirate the game, you'll get warned, possibly banned and your links/posts edited or deleted. Since this game isn't really story-based, spoilers won't be edited, unless they cross over, say into Episode III movie spoilers for example. And again, that's an edit, rather than a lock.

Hope that helps to clear things up. If you feel that something has been locked unfairly or have some beef with a moderator, feel free to contact me via PM or another Admin and we'll do our best to get things straightened out.

Reminder:

Keep in mind also that this forum is for GAME FEEDBACK, there is also a forum for feedback about THIS FORUM (swbattlefront.net) which again, I should remind everyone is fan-based and fan-run (not part of LucasArts.com). We have no control over what goes on over there, and they don't have any say in what goes on here (beyond say, complaining to us if we allowed people to spread warez or something like that).

Archived