Home

The Official Half-Life 2 Thread

ImmolatedYoda

Hmm...accident in a lab...monsters break loose...portals to Hell...

...looks to me like this line has been spoken once or twice before.

Shouldn't be called Half-Life. It should be called 'Resident Doom'. Shows how stupid humanity can be - giving this multi-faced jockoff GOTY. HA!! Thats great.

I'll admit - Halo 2's story line was a bit thin, what with it closely resembling the first. But c'mon, atleast it was HALF way original.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kain

Hmm...accident in a lab...monsters break loose...portals to Hell...

...looks to me like this line has been spoken once or twice before.

Shouldn't be called Half-Life. It should be called 'Resident Doom'. Shows how stupid humanity can be - giving this multi-faced jockoff GOTY. HA!! Thats great.

I'll admit - Halo 2's story line was a bit thin, what with it closely resembling the first. But c'mon, atleast it was HALF way original.

I thought it was original :confused:

I haven't played Halo, but it always looked like a hybrid of many different games. And didn't look like it was very original itself.

BUT WHO THE **** CARES WHICH IS BETTAH! This is the HL 2 thread! :p

I'm gonna wait till it all drops a bit.... Like 3 days or so :xp:

Eh no. But I'll leave this thread alone atleast.

Look everyone, Kain is a man of his word!

And what game are you basing the unoriginality of the Half-Life storyline on, anyway? Have you actually played the original Dooms? You must be thinking more of Doom 3. Sure, the original Doom storyline was that the UAC was performing all sorts of experiments, blahblahblah, but basically, Doom was just "fight this random huge demon threat in random scenarios." It wasn't set on Mars or Earth at all, at least not judging from the maps. And just because the storylines are based on the same basic occurence doesn't mean the two are really comparable. Why don't you go rip on Doom 3 on some Doom website simply because it has the SAME EXACT STORYLINE as the original? This thread isn't to bash Half-Life, it's to talk about the exciting sequel to it about to be released. And don't talk about the stupidity of humanity when you go ape-berzerk over a console FPS. There are countless better examples of the studpity of humanity than one game (which you obviously have a bias against) getting a GotY award(s). Just accept the fact that it was (and is) widely claimed as one of the best FPS games ever, even just for all of its mods, and leave this thread alone.

Anyway, in response to ckcsaber, they aren't completely remaking Half-Life in the Source engine, they just did a basic port of it, adding the new water, effects, and maybe some physics, not too sure. It's a shame they didn't go through and completely update all the models and textures, but at least it will include the High Definition Pack models...I really hope there is some way to get HL2 models into HL:S though, as that would be really kick ass.

I really feel sorry for you, Dave Grohl! Oh well, at least you have some new APC to listen to...your machine can handle that, can't it? :p

Originally posted by ImmolatedYoda

It wasn't set on Mars or Earth at all, at least not judging from the maps. And just because the storylines are based on the same basic occurence doesn't mean the two are really comparable. Why don't you go rip on Doom 3 on some Doom website simply because it has the SAME EXACT STORYLINE as the original? This thread isn't to bash Half-Life, it's to talk about the exciting sequel to it about to be released. And don't talk about the stupidity of humanity when you go ape-berzerk over a console FPS. There are countless better examples of the studpity of humanity than one game (which you obviously have a bias against) getting a GotY award(s). Just accept the fact that it was (and is) widely claimed as one of the best FPS games ever, even just for all of its mods, and leave this thread alone.

Did you even read my post? I said it was a jock of RE AND Doom.

And you're right - worse games have gotten GotY.Crap, this is turning into that old FF thread again. Gotta bail!

Originally posted by jokemaster

I don't remember a portal to hell............

And let's stop the ****ing comparisions to Halo, they're two very different games, hell the only thing they have in common are:

1. Both are FPS

2. Both you fight aliens

3. Both you're some mostly silent guy in armor.

Werd. To each his own. I'll extend the olive branch here - I just wanted to give a little retrobution for Yoda's remark in the Halo2 thread and his little signature poem.

Originally posted by jokemaster

You only need to be online when you install it, verify the code, and then you can play offline.

Me's getting it as soon as my desktop is fixed.

HAHA! All you need to do with Halo 2 is just pop the friggin disk in and play!

Halo 2 pwnz j00!!!!:D

I guess you can thank all the leakers and pirates for that code verification crap. I'll pick up Half Life 2 when it's in the cheap bin at Wal-Mart or something.:p

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

I'll pick up Half Life 2 when it's in the cheap bin at Wal-Mart or something.:p

Sounds like a plan...for you. I wouldn't pick it up if it was laying on the sidewalk in its original packaging...

...but thats me.

Werd. To each his own. I'll extend the olive branch here - I just wanted to give a little retrobution for Yoda's remark in the Halo2 thread and his little signature poem.

This is the last I'll say about the matter: Kain, you know it's not retribution. This is what I posted in the Halo 2 thread:

You people are still posting in this thread? Sheesh. Anyway, TiE 23, did you happen to notice that that screenshot you posted is a cutscene? That completely invalidates any statement you make saying that looks better than UT2004. And really, with both games, do you think you would notice the graphics while playing? I don't think so. UT2004 still has impressive graphics for what it does: rendering huge battles while still running smoothly. This is all from a UT2004 and PC fan who uninstalled Halo PC after playing only a few matches online (my friend had me install it, what a moron).

Absolutely nothing of what I posted there should have been enough to provoke a (normal) person to do what you have done. I didn't even MENTION Half-Life 2 there, and only said TWO things that could POSSIBLY be construed in such a way as to lead you to your inappropriate comments in this thread. Just get over it, fanboy; maybe you should stop playing Halo 2, get some sleep, and wake up with a clearer mind in order to realize the idiocy you have displayed here. And go ahead, make a sig bashing Half-Life, I guarantee you nobody will care. You are also the only one so far who has even mentioned my sig. Oh yeah, and nice try at backing out while trying to justify your worthless comments :rolleyes:.

*Ahem* Now that this thread is back on-topic...what great new mods have you guys heard/read about for HL2? I'm looking forward to the ports of DoD (I'm still not sure if it's going to be a full port or not) and HL, once people get a good high-res texture/model package together for it.

Sounds like a plan...for you. I wouldn't pick it up if it was laying on the sidewalk in its original packaging...

...but thats me.

All depends. I never bought Half Life 1. I guess it was good for it's day, but now it's just been done over and over, kind of like Quake III. I mean if you buy Quake III now, it would bore you to tears right? Maybe I won't buy Half - Life 2 either, i'll wait and see what my buddies say about it first, then i'll wait for it to hit second market and buy it when it's like less than $10.

*reads Yoda's post*

Wow, and he says I'M idiotic. Whatever boats your float man - I already said I'd quit with the petty insults and game bashing. Maybe you need to get some sleep and get levelheaded.

When you finally play it, you'll hit yourself in the head for missing out on such a great game.

Thats almost EXACTLY what my buddy said about it when I first played it(about 2 years after it came out) - I about hit him in the head for making me waste my time:p. Hes like Yoda - all HL no Halo. Now hes like me - No HL all Halo. And this kid was uber to the point to make some of those Counter Strike players cry.

Anywho I've been reading up on HL2, and I'm just gonna flat out say it - Its gonna go the way of RE; repetetive at its best. But like I said, to each his own. You can all have fun with the mods and whatevers and I'll stick to my consoles.

Consoles pwn PC

Then please, stick to your own thread(s); you stated many posts back that you would leave this one alone. You seem to forget that you said you would leave, then you had to bash Half-Life again, for no explicit reason.

I uninstalled the original Halo because it didn't catch my interest as an interesting game (at least the multiplayer didn't); with UT2004 out at the time, I was set. I know it's different with a group of friends or settled in a nice comfortable couch, though. Also, I might actually get/borrow/warez (most likely the last) Halo 2 if a good port to PC is made. Not that that will happen anytime soon; that's why there's HL2, FEAR, STALKER, Pariah, and some other great games I'm forgetting! Oh yeah, and Half-Life 2 will be released on Xbox later, just in case you ever feel like giving it a try.

Then please, stick to your own thread(s); you stated many posts back that you would leave this one alone. You seem to forget that you said you would leave, then you had to bash Half-Life again, for no explicit reason.

Oh yeah, and Half-Life 2 will be released on Xbox later.

/ignore

Actually, I wasn't 'bashing' it, per se, I was just pointing out that the similarities in the story line are incredibly similar to those in RE and Doom. And whats with this trying to ban me from your thread attitude you have - you make an official thread expect posts that are against the topic. Shoulda named it 'Half-Life 2 Thread - No negative comments or I'll tell you to leave blah blah blah'. Besides its no surprise that this game is unoriginal - no game is truley original. Its all already been done. The only thing that changes is graphics.

Damn.

Besides its no surprise that this game is unoriginal - no game is truley original. Its all already been done. The only thing that changes is graphics.

Eh, I don't really agree; at least, I don't think everything has been done by now. I'm only listing the following games because they are relatively recent. Take Battlefield for example, even though I've never played it. Had anything with such a high playercount and such large maps been released before? Max Payne 2 was the first game I played that really had physics, and it was such a cool feeling...going around wasting bullets shooting every single little object. What I think that makes Half-Life 2 look so awesome/promising is the much, much higher interaction with physics the player has. Sure, in Deus Ex 2 you could pick up things and throw them (body basketball!) but as far as I know, the physics didn't really make a difference to the gameplay in the long run. Couple such a detailed physics engine as Half-Life 2's with pretty damn gorgeous visuals and further the Half-Life plot with new characters and a few infamous returning ones, and you get a game that looks to be quite engaging, entertaining, and replayable. And don't forget the huge mod community, further expanding the possibilities for such a good-looking game. In other words, I think there is still room for innovation.

I admit, I don't actually know what it will be like in the end, and I'm sure all the hype from watching the videos 20 million times and reading everything I can about it (and playing the leak :o) is only beneficial to a point, but I suppose it is the same as you with Halo/Halo 2. You enjoyed the first one so much (for whatever reasons) that how can the second one possibly suck at all? Naturally, there will be a few letdowns, as you've already expressed with Halo 2, but I prefer to not think about those right now :D.

I uninstalled the original Halo because it didn't catch my interest as an interesting game (at least the multiplayer didn't); with UT2004 out at the time, I was set. I know it's different with a group of friends or settled in a nice comfortable couch, though. Also, I might actually get/borrow/warez (most likely the last) Halo 2 if a good port to PC is made. Not that that will happen anytime soon; that's why there's HL2, FEAR, STALKER, Pariah, and some other great games I'm forgetting! Oh yeah, and Half-Life 2 will be released on Xbox later, just in case you ever feel like giving it a try.

Ok, so your saying that if you post a thread, that only people interested in HL2 are allowed to post in it?!?

If us "Halo Lovers" bother you so much, you can always add them to your ignore list! Under user cp, go to edit ignore, and just add our names to your ignore list.

To post a thread in Yoda's Swamp expecting only certain people to post in it, is an exersise in futility. I don't recall bashing your game, but I did think it seemed a bit silly to have to be online to install a game, but then again, these are just my opinions, just like when you thought it was silly for me to get upset after waiting outside in the cold for an hour, only to go home empty handed. Sorry if they bother you. But they ARE just opinions, nobody's breaking any rules here at this point.

To Kain:

I will agree with you on that. Kind of makes you wonder why anyone would want to be a writer nowadays. Although I think something can be said for how a story is presented, too. In the original Doom, like I said earlier, the opening plot of the game wasn't really followed through. I definitely realize that Doom was such an early game that story wasn't really a big matter back then, but it does help you see the evolution in games' story-telling. Doom 3 does a much, much better job on telling/portraying the story, it's just a shame it relied so much on pretty (to some) graphics and cheap scares. And all I know about the Resident Evil series is that it's supposed to be scary and involves zombies...I think.

But yes, I just kind of went off on new gameplay dynamics. I am kind of anxious to see what plot twists Half-Life 2 holds though and how gripping it is (assuming it is gripping at all).

To Groovy: Oh, I have nothing against you, Kain's remarks just seemed a little too vituperative to me at the time, that's all. Sorry about all that crap. But sure, everyone, come post in here! Mingle, discuss, and never forget - HL2 > H2! Lol!@121@!!~21@~oneleven!

Kain is not a bad guy. Most of us regular swampies know that Kain is just quite outspoken, and does not hold back for anyone. It doesn't mean he doesn't like you, it just means that if he disagrees, he's not going to sugar coat it, he just says what he feels, and we've come to actually respect him for it.

This is not a HL2 VS H2 thread at all. At times it seemed to be heading in that direction, but since we have all made valid points on where and what we believe in, there is no harm done here, else I'd have closed BOTH threads by now.

I can't speak for Half Life, all I know is from what I have read in reviews, and heard from freinds of mine. It's simply a love it, or hate it game, but not necessarily a must have. I have visited similar forums where there are threads with topics such as "Half Life VS Halo", or "UT2004 VS Halo".

To make a long story short, I swore by PC games ever since I first played Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, which is STILL in my opinion, the best Star Wars PC game ever made. Since it was also my first ever PC game, I can be jaded in my opinion.

The release of Ninja Gaiden this past summer made me want to buy an XBOX, but it was ultimately Halo, that really got me into console gaming again. I had never become so immersed in a console game, that I could not put it down, since high school. In my opinion, Halo is alot more than just another shooter, it's like another world, that you can visit, which is kind of similar to Star Wars in that it is strange, yet familiar. I'll be the first to admit, that Halo is inspired by SEVERAL sci-fi genres, but they way they mix it up, is both compelling and original. Halo was NOT a predictable game, and I never got bored with it. The OTHER thing that got me back into consoles is the perverbial "keeping up with the Jones'" aproach to pc gaming. After UT2K4, that was the last straw, some of us don't have a spare $100+ to upgrade every six months. With console games, they are BUILT to operate on THAT console, so you don't have to worry about upgrades and all the nitty gritty details. I'll admit that in all my days of owning a playstation, I always felt that the FPS games were better on a PC, but Halo changed all of that for me. I don't think of Halo as just another FPS game, but a game that I have fun, every single time I turn it on. All games should be that way, PC or not. Halo is not the ONLY game I have enjoyed on a console, but certainly the best thing I have played in many years. Why is that? The game "adapts" to your playing style. I may suck at gaming, but the game will play at my level, so it's not too easy, yet not to hard and frustraiting to enjoy.

Yeah i'll admit, I didn't wait on reviews to get Halo 2, I just loved the original game (and the books) so much, that getting the sequal was a given, and I am very excited about playing it on Live, since as of yet, I have only played ONE decent XBox Live game which happens to be SWBF! All the other "live" games, either sucked, were too hard to play, or there simply was nobody online playing them at the time.

And HL2 is only 4 days away from release cant you believe it?!

no doubt. I meant in terms of stories and such. A new idea for a story is hard to come up with.

There is a totally new story, written by the same guy who wrote the story of HL1. All the reviews said it had everything, like plot, gameplay and story was good.

Originally posted by IG-64

Im also re-getting a fairly old game called trespasser, that was an awesome game :D

LOL I remember that game. Kinda sucky. :D

Archived