Home

The Official Half-Life 2 Thread

ImmolatedYoda

Originally posted by jokemaster

SUCK ON THAT!

Quote by http://WWW.IGN.COM

They should have the same guy who reviewed halo 2 review this so we can get an even opinion. Even better if he wasn't editor of the XBOX section or the PC section. I say we get the guy who reviews the DVD section review both games

Then we'd just get some guy with his thumb up his ass :rolleyes:

And I couldn't care less about reviews... Now if the review gave me a $10 off coupon to buy the game. You've have something then.

:)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gamespy gave it a 5; Multiplayer: Good [linko

It's too bad I won't be able to buy it until the weekend, since I'm going to buy the Collector's Edition, my local Wal-mart doesn't have it in stock, and the nearest Circuit City, Best Buy, or CompUSA is thirty-five minutes away.

I can't wait!

I'm so glad they made the game runnable on weak machines like mine.

Half-life fan boys... rock, rock on!

:D

Originally posted by wassup

Too bad Steam is down for pretty much all areas. You would think they could get some more servers to handle all this bandwidth...:rolleyes:

Half-Life 2 is great, Steam is in the pooper though.

Yeah.... It is :confused:

It must be on purpose (I agree it sucks, but they could at least try harder when HL2 is released), Probably adding in some Valve servers for players, or making some last minute improvements.

*shrugs*

Some first impressions...

Ok, after a 2 hour installation, I was expecting a decent gaming experience.

And boy, did I get it ;)

It's just so much fun, I don't really know how else to describe it. It's been a good few years since I really enjoyed playing a game - even just shooting down the combine soldiers is great, watching the funky death animations etc.. It runs really smooth on my system at 1280x1024 2xAA - I might even crank it up a bit :D

I haven't got very far, but I've just been gawping at everything. You can see why it's been 5 years in the making - the details are just everywhere. And the running through the train yard bit at the beginning... de_train homage anyone?

Such a shame I have to go to work tomorrow, but it'll give me something to look forward to when I get back home.

The only real gripes I have are...

a) Who the f**k thought it would be a clever idea to have to be connected to the internet to play a SINGLE player game? They should be fired! 2 hour installation I tells ya, 2 HOURS!

b) Load times. This is probably me not having rebooted in a couple of days, and also only having 512MB of RAM. I'm sure a gig would help; but for the time being, it does kinda ruin the immersion when you have to twiddle your thumbs for 20 seconds.

Anyway, I can't wait to carry on playing this. Judging from the preview movies that have been coming out over the last year or so, I'm in for some real treats!

Originally posted by The_One

And boy, did I get it ;)

It's just so much fun, I don't really know how else to describe it. It's been a good few years since I really enjoyed playing a game - even just shooting down the combine soldiers is great, watching the funky death animations etc.. It runs really smooth on my system at 1280x1024 2xAA - I might even crank it up a bit :D

I haven't got very far, but I've just been gawping at everything. You can see why it's been 5 years in the making - the details are just everywhere. And the running through the train yard bit at the beginning... de_train homage anyone?

Such a shame I have to go to work tomorrow, but it'll give me something to look forward to when I get back home.

a) Who the f**k thought it would be a clever idea to have to be connected to the internet to play a SINGLE player game? They should be fired! 2 hour installation I tells ya, 2 HOURS!

b) Load times. This is probably me not having rebooted in a couple of days, and also only having 512MB of RAM. I'm sure a gig would help; but for the time being, it does kinda ruin the immersion when you have to twiddle your thumbs for 20 seconds.

Anyway, I can't wait to carry on playing this. Judging from the preview movies that have been coming out over the last year or so, I'm in for some real treats!

Nice, :D

me want!

TiE

Originally posted by The_One

And boy, did I get it ;)

Yeah i also activated it last night and it was awesome! I had everything maxed out and runs flawlessly!

The game wasnt easy though, i only just reached the Coastline last night.

I went on a 20 hr HL2 binge..... and theres only 1 word to describe it.

Whoa...

I'd have to agree with pcgamer in that its the best game, ever, period. I've never been so immersed in a game. I didnt mind the load times.... but being that ive got a 939 3500+ with a gig of ram, its probably a different situation :p

Theres a few annoyances. Stupid teammates following you incessantly, getting in the way sometimes, but for the most part, theyre pretty good.

Highlights would have to be the hoverbike map, the highway map, and probably the last hour of the game

Anyone kindof sorta maybe thinking about getting the game, get it. It's worth the 2+ hour installation :p

Now I'm off to play some HL1 source, see how it looks, despite not having updated textures or models. Then maybe some cs source.... or some sleep.

Golly, what a great game :D

It's also great watching people get impaled by strider legs...

Alo of people are pissed over Half Life 2 and its installion and with steam aswell. Ive been hearing alot of people plan on returning the game asap. Which I dont blame them. It took me around 4 hours to even get to play it, and it crashes at every game loading screen. Hope they get things straightened out. To those who does not have any problems you should be very greatful!!!

My friend just got it, looks really good but I'm very put off by the fact you need to conect to the internet to play it (is that every time or just to regester). I really wish it wasn't steam, If it was not steam I would blow what is left of my student lone at the end of the year on a new PC, now I'm not so bothered about it even though it seems a blo very good game. much better than doom 3.

Originally posted by jokemaster

That's odd, I've been playing it for 2 days with no problems whatsoever, except for a bit of slowdown right after loading.

:wstupid:

Apart from the 40 minute installation time, everything is fine. I still don't understand all this steam and register and play online stuff.

I bought HL2 and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (VtM: B) today, and the difference in installation for these Source powered games is quite stark. In the ~1.25 hours it took to get to the 'new game' screen in HL2, I installed VtM: B, including letting it update DirectX, reading the manual (not familiar with the pencil-and-paper Vampire RPG), restarted, started the game, went through the character creation process (a couple of times) and then started the actual game, and finally made it all the way through the tutorial ... at that point HL2 was ready to play. It will take a bit to forgive that install process ... aw, heck, all was forgiven when I saw the first water :D

HL2 is not the most graphically advanced game - I'd give that to Doom 3. But HL2 is a better looking game - the best ever - because of what the Source engine does *absolutely right* ... making sure that the stuff you care about looks awesome. For instance, the wood doors you can open look no better than MoHAA, but the faces, the general environs, and many of the specifics look terrific.

I've barely played it, but already the amount of physics puzzles make me feel that someone is showing off something cool for no purpose than to show how cool it is. Maybe that'll soften as I proceed.

BTW - VtM: B absolutely rocks so far. RPG, with FPS-ish controls, and the source engine ... yep.

Mike

Originally posted by Sam Fisher

Bleh, I can't even get it because meh parents :(

But I'll buy a video card with it included by "accident" :D

Same predicament. But the only ones i';ve seen with Half-life 2 are the 9200se and the 9600 XT. If ya find one sam, give me a shout.

I got it loaded and have set my option but haven't had time to play it. I also got the Gold package and got my goodies in the mail on Monday. I looked through the book/guide and it is the best looking most indepth I have ever seen.

My hat is sweet as well. ;)

Archived