Home

The Official Half-Life 2 Thread

ImmolatedYoda

The gravity gun is basically the way Force Throw should have been implemented in the last two Jedi Knight games. Shame.

But I wouldn't call it the best FPS weapon ever - if only for the fact you need a lot of 'ammo' lying conveniently around the place. That's not to say it isn't cool to use, though. :cool:

In my opinion, the game does have the best physics implementation of any FPS so far. It's not simply there to provide eye candy - they've managed to integrate it in meaningful ways in some of the 'puzzles' and in general gameplay. I'd have to say the ragdoll physics hasn't been overcooked either (which has been apparent in other games *cough*Deus Ex Invisible War*cough*), with enemies falling more naturally as they die. That's not to say that the physics isn't sometimes over used in the game.

My real problem with the game is that my rig simply isn't up to the task of running it properly. My CPU is admittedly under the minimum requirements - but I've played other games with similar minimum requirements and I've managed to achieve a smooth (if slow) framerate. Unfortunately HL2 is playing like an MP game with bad lag - stuttering, temporary freezes, sound repeats, etc. Where there's not too much action (or large open spaces) on screen it's playable, but then it will hit a particular section and it starts to really chug - a frame every few seconds.

Regardless of these problems I intend to keep at it until the game is finished (or until it simply crashes).

I think the air-boat ride was too long (and too similar in places). I couldn't help thinking about Far Cry as I went through those sections - because in Far Cry you largely had a choice to use a boat or not - you could swim or sometimes use other means to get from point A to point B in that game. IN HL2 you have to use the air-boat through those levels, because of some of the puzzles right up to the very end of that journey (and the fact that on foot you would rapidly die).

I've got as far as Ravenholm, at any rate (on the rooftops, where the game is chugging horrendously again because of the...

fast jolly jumpers with the headcrabs

...so I've taken a break. There's only so much 'lag' (and repeated deaths as a result) I can take in any given hour.

I just wish I could upgrade my rig, but that's out of the question at the moment.

Oh...and is it me, but do the graphics settings on low quality look far worse than Half-Life 1?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, I've decided just to buy the regular retail version of Half-life 2. The retail collector's edition looks like a rip-off, compared to the digital gold version.

I only wish that Day of Defeat: Source was released for free to owners of the normal retail version of Half-life 2.

Originally posted by legameboy

I only wish that Day of Defeat: Source was released for free to owners of the normal retail version of Half-life 2.

Right now nothing about DOD is free (Execpt patches) Cause Day Of Defeat is already owned by Valve. Thats why the old DOD is for sale now.

And yes, TF2 isnt free either. (Obviously.....)

Originally posted by Dave Grohl

Same predicament. But the only ones i';ve seen with Half-life 2 are the 9200se and the 9600 XT. If ya find one sam, give me a shout.

I thought they were only bundeld with 9600XT, 9800XT and X800 chipsets?

Oh and btw samuel, interesting. Never knew there were MP in HL2. There were rumors of a hidden MP mode, but i thought it was just to fool multiplayer freaks.

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

Right now nothing about DOD is free (Execpt patches) Cause Day Of Defeat is already owned by Valve. Thats why the old DOD is for sale now.

And yes, TF2 isnt free either. (Obviously.....)

That's strange, because I downloaded the Day of Defeat mod for free, as well as Team Fortress. That was during the Half-life 1 days, though.

I have a big problem.

d1_canals_01a0000.jpg

I have no idea why that happens, I've updated my graphics card drivers and it still happened. Very strange problem.

My system:

Geforce 5900 128mb.

AMD Athlon 2200 + 1.8ghz

512MB Ram

Anyone know how to fix this?

That's strange, because I downloaded the Day of Defeat mod for free, as well as Team Fortress. That was during the Half-life 1 days, though.

They're still free, you just need to have Half-life 1 enabled on your steam account to play them(unless that's changed).

Originally posted by Treacherous Mercenary

I seem to be having a problem with Water Hazard now.. Odd, after passing the damn, everything gets corrupted..

At first, I thought you meant after passing the dam...but I realise what you mean.

Odd, after passing the curse, everything get's corrupted

Yeah, it makes sense. However, I don't think you pass along a curse in Half-life 2. :p

Mmm, what kind of corruption though? Is it only on certain walls or models, or is it like a pixelation of the screen?

Yeah that was before it was owned by VAlve. Same goes for CS, it was free last time. And now you gotta pay for it.

Btw, those video issues usually happens when you overclock your video card too much. Clock it to a stable speed. See if running the game in different DirectX works.

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

Yeah that was before it was owned by VAlve. Same goes for CS, it was free last time. And now you gotta pay for it.

Btw, those video issues usually happens when you overclock your video card too much. Clock it to a stable speed. See if running the game in different DirectX works.

Seems my system is running a little hot with no overclocking involved as of late. Hope the new power supply helps it some aswell as the VGA Silencer.

Well, I bought Half-life 2 yesterday (and Half-life 2: Raising the Bar), and I am blown away. This is the best electronic game ever made. It took me 30 minutes to start playing Half-life 2, from the beginning of the installation to the starting up of the game.

Everything in this game is so... incredible. The immense use of physics, the beautiful shaders and textures, the amazing facial details, and the adrenaline-pumping action are all just blowing me away.

So far I've gotten to "We don't go there anymore..." (Ravenholm). I took a break because I don't enjoy the fact that headcrabs and zombies can burrow themselves... ^_^

My rampage of ranting and raving is over... but wow....

Archived