Home

X Box 2

Darth Groovy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see a massive need for new consoles based soley on games, but i expect the nextgen ones to be much more home media centres and much less game consoles.

Nintendo have said that there is an ever diminishing return as far as graphics go... they can keep pumping up the hardware, but the differences between generations will get smaller and smaller. They were derided in the games media for this, but microsoft has also basically said the same thing.

The graphics differences between a SNES and a PS1, or a PS1 and a PS2 are pretty huge. The differences between an xbox and a xbox2 are going to be fairly small.

For this reason (and microsoft and sony's desires to control all media viewing) it is pretty clear that (now MS have established that xbox isn't a pc) they will both be moving to a media centre type of device.

Personally i think this is the way to go. I already have a modded xbox that is wirelessly connected to my pc, that i store my digital phtos, mp3s and video files on. As everyone buys digital cameras and ipods there are going to be more people who want that. My only worry is that MS and sony will lock down all the useful functions so everything has to be done through their systems, codecs, drms and web services. That is pretty much a given.

Personally, i look foreward to the time when consoles are like dvd players.... the games are all made on a common standard and all games play on all consoles. Different manufacturers then provide different consoles (some basic and cheap, some with advanced features more expensive) just like dvd player manufacturers do. Imagine having to choose what brand dvd or cd player you bought based on which dvds or cds you wanted to play? It is a daft idea, and it is just as daft for games....

Me, i'm not bothered that much about better graphics just yet, i think this gen still has a way to go (except maybe the ps2), though i would like better physics and lighting. I want the media player functionality, but doubt i'll like the way they do it. So i'll stick with my modded xbox for now, as it can do everythign i want and more... the only thing it can't do is work as a PVR... if it could do that it would be perfect.

Originally posted by Acrylic

You DO realize thats from about 11 months ago, right?

wat do you mean?

Xbox came out in like 2001/2000, becuz halo came out in 2001 or 2002

that means that Xbox2 should come out soon, its been like 3/4 years

Originally posted by TiE 23

Personally, I am exited for the next gen, who cares if the technology won't get better, but it will get cheaper, more important for a kid my age whose only income is allowance and chores. :D

TiE

??

Cheaper? New generation consoles cost a fortune, as do new gen games. You can now get an xbox (for example) with a few free games, extra controllers and gadgets for the price of two or three brand new release games. At least half what they cost on launch.

Not to mention that you can pick up older games (and 2nd hand ones) for way less than they all cost around launch.

Unless you mean xbox 1 stuff will get cheaper with xbox 2, in whihc case you may have a point...

Archived