Home

Modeling

Hassle

OK i have been working on Models for some time now since i have had the game since the it came out.

I have been reModeling the ships and have been adding about 5 new ships to the game. I have the Models themself almost done using AutoCADs MD 3D Modeling, has anyone found a way to import them into the game yet????

Riley75 and Luck3y have made some advancement in extracting meshes of the models, check the gametoast.com forums often for newest mod-ablility status. As far as a simple tool nothing for model adding - it doesnt exsit, yet. there is now at least the ability to extract the meshes for models, its a slow task reversing a game engine but whether its by us or the devs. I think we will have full conversion mod ability in the near future.

From autocad, you will want to export them as microsoft .x directx format (use the text format if you get the option). You should be able to open the file in notepad after export.

If you do get them exported, feel free to drop me a line and send them over, I'd like to get a look at how the final exported file looks from autocad. (I don't have autocad, nor do I know how to use it).

Right now, our ability to import models back into the game is prevented by the following:

- A few unanswered questions related to the way models are stored. There are often two "almost-identical" vertex lists in each mesh segment, and unless luck3y has figured something out that I haven't, we don't know why yet. There are also some models that store some extra data (in sections marked VDAT / SKIN / shdw / GSHD, CSHD, SPHR). While we can make some good guesses about this data, we haven't gone into depth with it yet.

- We don't know yet what the meaning of all the data in the collision chunk is (marked by "coll"). If we try importing a model back in without also updating or adding the collision data, chances are we'll get unexpected or unwanted results.

- We need to talk with some of you artists out there! What programs are you using? What import / export features does your program have?

The models were created using the professional version of XSI but there is no reason you can't use XSI EXP to create the models. They are exported with a custom Add On for XSI created by Pandemic that saves files in a .msh format.

These models are then compiled into LVL files that are then wrapped up inside other LVLs which are all wrapped up inside the side.lvls and world.lvls. The .msh files contain all data about the model and animations such as hardpoints, collision, and firepoints, and also reference the textures. The animation and model properties are defined by Object Definition Files (ODFs) which are also wrapped up in the lvls. The ODF names typically correspond to a msh file but often, as in the case with units, they share a base geometry across a class.

Psych0fred,

can you post or email me(send me a PM then) the XSI export plugin so i test it if it works with XSI EXP ?

I just wonder how the plugin works because the export function has been disabled in the EXP version. But i don´t know if it also blocks plugin export functions.

Edit:

From the Readme:

File Export

ExportAction has been disabled.

ExportdotXSIFile has been disabled.

ExportIGES has been disabled.

Both the standalone and built-in Flipbook executable has been removed however, the FXTree will be able to provide this function in the XSI EXP.

C++ API

SDK data accessor methods have been blocked which may hinder the function of most compiled plug-ins.

Doesn´t sound promising.

Maybe a 3ds,obj file or any other common file to .msh converter would be a better idea.

Rends

• 2 years later...

I added the Star Wars BattleFront .msh loader module to the 3D Object Converter and I uploaded the latest developer package (non beta) to my web page.

You can download it using the following link:

http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/3dc32390x_dev_20070217.zip

I converted any original .msh files into .Wavefront's .obj format.

http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/reconverted.zip

Original .msh files:

http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/msh_examples.rar

Archived