Home

Anyone still play Darkforces

Armydude71490

If any one still plays dark forces I suggest you use this site

It is regurlarly updated and has an active forum:

http://www.df-21.net/

It also has a healthy supply of maps to keep you going for a while!

The map I would suggest to dl if you just like to shoot the crap out of stuff is the map The Danger Room!

http://df-21.net/downloads/missions/dangroom.zip

I love Dark forces!!!

I play it when I can, I have both versions,(DOS and the 95/98 version with 3 level JK demo) but neither play worth a shyt on WinXP. Most of the time it runs OK with VDM(90%) running it with DOSBox just plain doesn't happen. I get an error message unable to open LOCAL.MSG. I guess I will just have to buy an old PC and build it like I need to, because I have a buttload of older games I still wanna play. Anyone know where I can get a nice Win98 PC with a soundblaster16 and a good 32mb 3dfx card?:swear:

It plays like a dream on my Mac ;) And in double graphics resolution and improved sound as well. (LucasArts put out things as 'Mac Enhanced' back in those days)

(it is amazing that although the MacOS has gone through a major kernel shift, and the processor from CISC to RISC, that it still plays great, while the PC version, despite seeing much more minor OS and CPU changes, doesn't)

I actually played through the first four levels after completing the 3-level DFMod demo.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by txa1265

I will see what I can do ... I just reinstalled my DOS version as well. To compare qualitatively, take JKII and put it as 640 x 480 ... then change to 1280 x 960. See a difference? ;)

Mike

I played JK on 640 x 480 on my first PC! I had a helluva time even getting it running. It always gave me some error and when I finally got it running, it was in the lowest setting possible. The gameplay screen was so tiny, I couldn't see anything. I eventually found out how to fix it.

Anyhow, back on topic, I've seen the comparison shots somewhere. It was in the DF/ JA Mod forum but that was ages ago. The Mac version is so much cleaner looking. Wonder what it looks like in action.

• 3 months later...

My DOS version got wiped when my hard disk needed reformatting a while back, and I just got it going again ... thanks to VDMSound ... but I have been unable to get screenshots working - perhaps I'll have to try an older laptop for that ...

But having played some on my Mac yesterday and the PC today ... it really is much different. I just hope to have the screens someday to show it ;)

Mike

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived