With the new Nintendo DS

handheld and its touch screen

(with another screen) I thought

about how cool it would be to

have Jedi Knight (yeah, the

1997 one) on the DS! I've made

some pictures...

jkdscase.JPG

(The case picture was done by a friend of mine.)

jkds.JPGjkdsagain.JPG

jkdsctf.JPGotherjkds.JPG

I've thought of some modes that I really want... I got several from other games though...

Free-For-All

Laser Tag (Just like real life! You can use your lightsaber to block lasers only though.)

Holocron (Yep, from JK2!)

Team Free-For-All (2-8 teams)

Team Laser Tag

Team Holocron (With teams this time!)

Capture the Flag

Normal

One Flag (Offense vs. Defense)

Multiflag (Two teams, multiple flags)

Multiteam (Four team CTF!)

Tag

Kill the Condemned One (Everyone must kill the condemned one. CO has normal everything, as does everyone else. Once CO dies, killer is CO [Or randomize it]. Get points through staying alive as CO)

Jedi Master (Yep, from JK2!)

He Knows Kung Fu (Kill the guy with the fists, can set up random person becomes fist person or through the method listed above.)

Jedi ball (Like soccer. Comes from this mod http://www.massassi.net/levels/files/1011.shtml)

Detention Center (aka Jailbreak) (If you die, you land in jail. Free your teammates from the jail if they're trapped! Comes from this mod http://www.massassi.net/levels/files/693.shtml)

Infiltrate Go into two teams and destroy the other team's stuff. Comes from this mod. http://www.massassi.net/levels/files/996.shtml)

Duel

Power Duel

Invasion (Kill all of the respawning enemies. Maps are set in places like the Death Star hangar)

FFA Invasion (Kill the enemies and your friends.)

Capture and Hold (Split into teams and try to capture and hold spots in the map, kinda like battlefield 1942, at a smaller scale)

Emperor of the Hill (Stay in the same place for as long as possible for more points!)

Mobile Emperor of the Hill (Stay in a spot for as long as possible, you score a point when the time runs out; then the "hill" moves)

Team Emperor of the Hill (Same as top, only with teams)

Team Mobile Emperor of the Hill (Same as the top, only with teams)

The Controls

D-Pad and AbXY move and strafe.

L-button fires.

When you have the lightsaber (primary mode), hold down L and swing the stylus around to swing. In secondary mode, just press L to use the Special Swing.

Stylus on center is to look around, like a mouse.

Stylus used to see scoreboard, chat, change weapons, and use the Force.

Stylus navigates menus.

Start button goes to menu (not to quit a server though, that's in the menu)

The Force

Stylus is used to select and use Force powers.

Immediate use (like heal or destruction): tap stylus on desired Force power.

Stay on (toggle) (like speed or absorb): tap stylus on Force power, tap again to turn off. Power turns off after a certain time.

Targeting (like pull or throw): hold stylus on Force power to target, once target is aquired, remove stylus.

The Changes

The bryar can be charged like in JK2. The lasers are still red though. :p

Putting up your fists allows you to do a kick; it was gonna be included in the original, but was removed.

Many new maps.

Colored names.

Many new characters.

Different kill messages for each gun's primary and secondary fire.

Let the right hand look different if need be! (In the original, the right hand was always a slightly tan human hand. It looked really weird to see a Rodian with a human hand.)

Lightsaber can be controlled by the stylus, you can still use the Special Swing by switching to secondary.

Using secondary fire works much like Perfect Dark: you have to switch (with touch), rather than pressing a separate button.

You can shoot mines on the ground to blow them up.

Perhaps dedicated server support.

A spectator mode.

Team chat and voice chat are added.

CTF scoring changed to reflect the JK2/JA/every other game style.

Allowed to change character, Force, and anything else during a game (like JA).

Force throw gives credit to the one who does it.

Allow for crosshair target identification.

We need better crosshairs. :p

For CTF (and other gamemodes, I suppose), have alternate team skins for each character, not different color Kyles. (in the original, everyone on the red team would be a red Kyle)

Allow server to have easy to make custom map rotations.

Have gametypes work similarly to JK2 and JA. (i.e. gametypes are actually gametypes, not different mapsets with different cogs)

bot support

Guns or saber only is decided by a menu option, not by map.

Weapon respawn is that of JK2/JA. (Weapon on pedestals can only be picked up if you do not already have it. Weapons can respawn much quicker because of this.)

Much better netcode. :D

I wish this could really happen. If this happens though, the original JK would definitely be revived.

i can't believe i typed all this

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all for that! As I said, a DF port would be gold as well. Multiplayer could really be fun and worth playing on either DF or JK.

The touch screen took me a while to master with Metroid and I know some people who can't stand it. The touch buttons are small enough to kind of sort of act as analog so it still works out beautifully :D

• 1 month later...

There just aren't enough buttons to do the game justice.... unless you do it the crappy way and toggle weapons and toggle force powers. ; p

But I guess that's what console players of JK2 (Gamecube & Xbox) and JA (Xbox) had to do, until keyboards+mice were allowed on those systems (well, for the Xbox anyway)!

Archived