Home

New MDLOps

cchargin

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Hive

Save your work; there's already an (unused) Mandalore model without a helmet in the game...

Looks pretty good, too.

^^;

I know that, but what I meant is I discovered as soon as I changed it to the helmetless model, the armor is locked in place.

Thanks though.

It works great with my TSL models now, but I've gotten a strange error when trying to import one.

MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception -- Unknown property: "frameEnd" in $Editable_Mesh:glas_brk @ [-148.685471,0.479004,160.577011]

I'm not sure if it's caused by the model conversion or NWmax since all of the others work just fine.

Error

Hello,

It works great with my TSL models now, but I've gotten a strange error when trying to import one.

hmmm, I took a look at it and it seems to be an animation controller problem. I will look into it and try to figure out what the issue is.

A work around is to uncheck the "Extract animations" option before exporting to ascii. This should get you a model that you can import into nwmax

Is there any way to tell the program to convert all files in a given directory? I find it to be quite tedios to manually convert files 1 by 1...

If you're using Kotor Tool to extract your models before conversion, you can also just double-click on the first model you want to extract, specify how many total you want to process (including the clicked one), and Kotor Tool will extract each .mdl and .mdx pair, convert them (using Kotor Tool's own MDLOps) and put all the files in a directory for you. I wil also extract all of the required textures as well.

Originally posted by cchargin

Hello,

Sure! You can run MDLOps from a command line where you can use file globbing (i.e. c:\models\*.mdl)

Check the readme.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't see that. I guess I should read more carefully. :o

Thanks for the answer. :)

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

If you're using Kotor Tool to extract your models before conversion, you can also just double-click on the first model you want to extract, specify how many total you want to process (including the clicked one), and Kotor Tool will extract each .mdl and .mdx pair, convert them (using Kotor Tool's own MDLOps) and put all the files in a directory for you. I wil also extract all of the required textures as well.

Yeah I already did that, an excellent feature you implemented. :)

Oh, and another question: is it possible to leave out the '-ascii-kx-bin' from the filenames? I'd love if it would - instead of adding 'kx-bin' after the '-ascii' part - that, instead, the '-ascii' part was removed...

Can this be done?

I know. But my latest conversion included 48 files (24 *.mdx and 24 *.mdl), so I would much appreciate if there was another way...:ewok:

So which direction are you trying to go with your conversions? Game->Max or the other way around?

I say this because I am considering adding a drag-and-drop conversion feature to Kotor Tool that would do bunches of external files in one shot.

Please describe in more detail what it is you're trying to do and I'll see if this matches up with what I had in mind.

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

So which direction are you trying to go with your conversions? Game->Max or the other way around?

I say this because I am considering adding a drag-and-drop conversion feature to Kotor Tool that would do bunches of external files in one shot.

Please describe in more detail what it is you're trying to do and I'll see if this matches up with what I had in mind.

I was trying to convert some K1 models for K2. First, I use your program to mass-convert to the ascii format.

Then, I use MDLops to convert them to the K2 format. And then, the renaming begins (since I prefer them to have the original names).

If possible, an "extract and convert from Kx to Kx" option would be nice. But I do now know whether it's feasible...

I was trying to convert some K1 models for K2.

Unfortuntely, porting assets from one Lucasarts game to another is again Lucasarts policy and Holowan Laboratory rules. Please do not discuss such topics on these boards. Thanks. :)

Originally posted by Prime

Unfortuntely, porting assets from one Lucasarts game to another is again Lucasarts policy and Holowan Laboratory rules. Please do not discuss such topics on these boards. Thanks. :)

I am aware of that. Jeez, calm down. I have noticed that some people here jump to conclusions a bit too much.

Could it be that I have some custom made models from K1 which I have permission to convert?

I haven't discussed porting anything in this thread. Yes, the method I'm asking about *can* be used that way - but it doesn't have to be.

I am aware of that. Jeez, calm down. I have noticed that some people here jump to conclusions a bit too much.

Could it be that I have some custom made models from K1 which I have permission to convert?

I haven't discussed porting anything in this thread. Yes, the method I'm asking about *can* be used that way - but it doesn't have to be.

When you begin to ask ambiguos questions that can get the members of these modding forums in trouble it is in the Authority of the Moderators such as Prime to reiterate the rules so as to protect the interests of the forums.

If it seems that many of us are quick to point out the rules concerning porting of resources it is because not a one of us wishes to get into legal trouble with the developers of these games.

That being said if when you phrase your questions from the beginning being as clear as possible that you intend to convert custom made models from one game to the other without using original game resources not a single person here could scold you for that.

I will at this time cease off-topic discussion and return control to cchargin.

hi,

I will at this time cease off-topic discussion and return control to cchargin.

Uh, did I miss something? ;)

Oh, and another question: is it possible to leave out the '-ascii-kx-bin' from the filenames? I'd love if it would - instead of adding 'kx-bin' after the '-ascii' part - that, instead, the '-ascii' part was removed...

A common question I get asked is "where did my file go?" It is usually in reference to nwmax which you are never quite sure where your file will end up, or what it will be named. So I decided to make MDLOps as unambigous as possible with naming.

If you want to mess around with Perl the scripts for MDLOps are in the same folder as the executable.

I will look into custom output names as a possible feature.

I am aware of that. Jeez, calm down.

You should take your own advice.

I have noticed that some people here jump to conclusions a bit too much.

We can only make conclusions from what you write. Surely you can see why moderators would get the impression that you were taking about converting KOTOR models to TSL when you wrote, "convert some K1 models for K2."

Sure. But it doesn't come across that way, especially when you don't say that.

Yes you did. You discussed converting K1 models for K2. ;)

Look, it is a serious subject since technically we shouldn't really be modding KOTOR at all. Porting lucasarts material to other games is a serious violation that could potentially lead to Holowan Laboratories getting shut down. Thus, us moderators try to be vigilant about such discussion. So in the future, please be a bit more specific, so we can avoid any problems. We are not trying to be discussion nazis, we are just trying to avoid potential trouble.

Now, back on topic please. :)

Originally posted by Prime

You should take your own advice.

I'm sorry, I meant no offense. It's just that I personally feel there's a witch-hunt going on regarding this subject.

We can only make conclusions from what you write. Surely you can see why moderators would get the impression that you were taking about converting KOTOR models to TSL when you wrote, "convert some K1 models for K2."

I suppose that's true.

Sure. But it doesn't come across that way, especially when you don't say that.

It's just that I'm not used to such a modding environment. The games I usually mod have modding support from the developers, and no talk about sueing modders or shutting down anything ever comes up.

Yes you did. You discussed converting K1 models for K2. ;)

Again, you are right. But like I said: I'm not used to LucasArts unfriendly behaviour, so I didn't quite expect such reactions.

Look, it is a serious subject since technically we shouldn't really be modding KOTOR at all. Porting lucasarts material to other games is a serious violation that could potentially lead to Holowan Laboratories getting shut down. Thus, us moderators try to be vigilant about such discussion. So in the future, please be a bit more specific, so we can avoid any problems. We are not trying to be discussion nazis, we are just trying to avoid potential trouble.

You know LucasArts better than I - but if they would indeed be willing to try and shut down the entire forum because one member - against the forum rules - would do a port, then I have no respect for them at all. But I do not want to bring this forum into trouble, so I will try to think twice when phrasing another question that might be understood in more than one way.

Now, back on topic please. :)

Sir, yes sir!:)

You know LucasArts better than I - but if they would indeed be willing to try and shut down the entire forum because one member - against the forum rules - would do a port, then I have no respect for them at all.

It wouldn't be because of one member, but we are just trying to enforce the rules equally with everyone. We feel it is better to avoid the topic all together.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been making some changes to mdlops (mostly porting code over from Torlack's NWN model de/compiler) so we could add some custom animations for our project. I'm uneasy about posting changes to someone else's code without permission but cchargin hasn't responded to my email yet, and I'm about to get too busy to work on this for a while. (The program is GPL so technically it's okay to post changes but if you think this is inappropriate please let me know and I'll remove it).

We've successfully imported animations on s_male02 and hk47. I haven't had time to do much testing outside of what we needed.

If you want to try this, you'll need perl installed, plus a couple of optional packages (instructions in the zip, "installing perl.txt".)

You can download the modified mdlops perl scripts HERE.

The usual caveats/issues:

- imported models may crash your game

- if you move skin mesh nodes the model in-game gets all weird and elongated and messed up, like something from Silent Hill

- we've only tried this with character models, and only a couple of those at that

- There's a bug somewhere in conversion to ascii that sometimes makes the last frame of an animation messed up. An example is in p_mira_bb at the end of CUT027. I think it's continuing a motion that should have been stopped... and if it's the last animation and you want to add a new one after, the motion keeps going into the beginning of the new one! I'm hopeful someone who knows more about animations will be able to tell why this is happening...

[edit:] - If you converted from binary to ascii with a previous version of mdlops, I'd re-convert. If you have an animation you want to save you can copy and paste it into the newly converted ascii model.

When testing, it's nice to name your animation pause1. That way you can see it as soon as you load the game.

I've been making some changes to mdlops so we could add some custom animations for our project... We've successfully imported animations on s_male02 and hk47...

:Open2:

What a nice surprise! Thank you JDNoa!

Since cchargin did cite the GPL license agreement, there's no reason to take this down and I think if we did, there'd be a good chance of starting a riot. :p

When testing, it's nice to name your animation pause1. That way you can see it as soon as you load the game.

Good to note that. :)

If you want to try this, you'll need perl installed, plus a couple of optional packages (instructions in the zip, "installing perl.txt".)
If you like I could help package this into an EXE...? See first post of this thread for a link

Edit: what is the mdlops.tws?

Archived