Home

The next RTS. Space or ground?

Guest DarthMaulUK

Should the next RTS be space or ground based?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should the next RTS be space or ground based?

• Space
    • Ground
    • BOTH!

luke - perhaps, but i still see it as the best alternative. Otherwise, you're going to get one or the other, but not both if you want them well made.

FroZ - if you want to comment on a post i have made, i am happy to respond to it. However, the next time you add in insults i will ignore you until you decide to be polite, but i will answer this one.

As i said, i see the game as being focused around ground battles, so they should be the main part of the game, with space battles as a 'sideshow', hence the RTT. The option would simply be for those who dont want to play space battles, and just want to get on with it. It would also suit people who want to play a faster campaign.

viceroy - i dont see how that would make CtG seem 'thin'. Space mode would certainly be limited, but that would be the extent of limitations.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would look very amateur and crappy. Either combined them or nothing, space is not a runner-up bonus and it does not deserve to be. I did not insult you, many posts on other threads you have said numerous times that an off option to cut out major features.

Space is just as important than ground and does deserve the kind of platform ground gets. Space in a SW RTS has huge potential I personally don't want that limited.

Apparently Windu you don't "see" anything.

A. Froz is not insulting you he never has it;s just your wishful thinking to think that anyone wants to waste time talking sense into you.

B. Space battles in the Star Wars universe were never Side shows compared to Ground battles. Yavin was a critical batle and that was a space batle the Battle of endor was a combination of the two indeed windu showing the exact opposite to what you claim that the Ground battles are sideshow to the space, but we're not going to have an all Space RTS with Ground hased on the way you would like with space.

C. Petroglyph is made up of Former Westwood Employees they created the CnC Series single handedly you know the series you knick so many ideas off. They can make Space and Ground in a huge way the next SW RTS will surely be REVOLOUTIONARY.

D. Lucasarts sub-contracted out this one so you can't assume like we could with LA that there will be huge bad areas of it. Petroglyph is an excellent studio capable of whipping the pants off any LA creation a thousand times over.

They used to make their games themselves. For awhile, the games really, really, really sucked. So they moved to contract their games to other compagnies. Success has been good beginning with Raven and JO...Of course, there are always bad games...

Now they're called LEC and are more a bunch of lawyers deciding who has a good idea for a Star Wars game, give those people money so they can make it and publish the game.

Blizzard has a good track record of making good games and being a good publisher. Hey, even they're published by Vivendi now.

FroZ -

It shows your weak gameplay...

That, as a comment on me or my template was an insult and it will not be tolerated.

In terms of a Space and Ground RTS, i really cant see it happening in one game. However, one idea could be to create two games that pass info to each other so you can play both space and ground battles. Alternately, you can just create a ground RTS and add a Space x-pac later on.

No one ever took templates seriously. They were just somethnig fun to do until we got real info.

LA doesnt lease out all of their games, they still make some (like SWGB, although thats a bad example, cause they just took the AoK engine, but the most Ensemble did was collect their money and give the LA team pointers on what they learned about problems in AoK). And BTW, unless Blizzard radically changes the way they make games, I would never buy a Star-WarsCraft. Star Wars requires the realistic touch and epic scope of a C&C or AoE game, not cartoony graphics and two soldiers on each side.

^^^^

Very true. Blizzard still makes good games. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean it isn't good.

Let's not totally diss EA too. They CAN make good game...if they don't rush them.

SWGB was made years ago and is a poor example as of now.

As of now, only Republic Commando is both published and developed by LEC.

Just because you think Blizzard games are good, doesn;t mean they are. It's all personal opinion. I really don't like the Star/Warcraft games. Like Sith said, it's basically played with a group of soldiers. Not real epic there, and the demo I played made it feel like some RTS RPG hybrid.

I like EA's CnC Generals: Zero Hour more than Blizzard's RTSs.

For WarCraft 3, this is true but not for StarCraft.

I do not know which StarCraft you played but I could field a decent amount of units.

Blizzard doesn't need to change their style, they don't have too. They wanted the graphics to be cartoony, they designed their games like they wanted. I'm not a great fan of WarCraft3 because of that whole RPS non-sense though but dissing Blizzard as a whole is just trying to find flaws for nothing.

Note that a demo never gives a real feel of the game.

One thing neither EA nor ES has ever been able to achieve is a story as good as Blizzard can make.

There's a difference between good, bad and preferences.

Saying that they make bad games is totally untrue.

I never said Blizzard makes bad games per se. I personally don't like them, but thats just my opinion. I will more than willingly concede that StarCraft is one of the best RTSs ever made, its just that I don't like it. However, my biases aside, I cannot possibly imagine Blizzard's formula fitting with a SW RTS. A good SW RTS has to have the epic feel, something that none of Blizard's games, even StarCraft, quite accomplished. That epic feel comes from controlling large armies that march across vast swaths of land. Star Wars isn't about minor skirmishes, its about large scale battles. And the cartoony graphics do not fit. It would just ruin the illusion that you are playing the movie. Im not saying that the cartoony graphics are ugly, some of the stuff I've seen in WoW, atleast in terms of the environments, is insane. It just would ruin the Star Wars atmosphere.

Anyways, I doubt Blizzard will be making any RTS's from their own IP's in the near future, not to mention making one for some one else. With the genre growing anemic and the team that pioneered their first RTS's gone after TFT, they are smartly milking their RTS franchises from afar w/ WoW and SCG. And a game like WoW requires a lot of continued dedication and support that it would be difficult to make another game along with it. EA will probably do the same thing with C&C, although they can afford to do whatever they please.

The truth is that the RTS is a dying genre. Look at what RTS's are announced to be coming out after this year. You have SSS's last ditch effort to undo two bombed games with EE2 and you have our untitled and barely announced game. Add in whatever the hell ES is working on (prolly AoE3) since they are the only member of the Big Three who only makes RTSs, although even they are trying to expand horizons if the RTS market falls out (this is pure speculation, but I'd be willing to bet that their other non-RTS project is a FPS-ish game for Xenon, they've been hiring people from iD, Valve and Retro). So that makes a sequel to a disappointing game from a disappointing company and two purely speculative projects. Pretty impressive:rolleyes:

But I digress

Getting back onto topic, i still say the game should be Ground-based RTS with an optional Space RTT.

In terms of having both, can you guys imagine how long a singlewould take if you had to play both Space and Ground? Or how much memory would have to be used up? Frankly, i cant see a combined Space and Ground RTS being viable for quite a while.

• 2 weeks later...

As they are making a age of empires 3 maybe they will use a similar engine for this (as galactic battlegrounds was based on a similar way as AOE 2). so it is likly to be ground combat. I would prefer this rather than a space combat.

If they do make one with both they should do a TBS and a RTS mix with the turn based stratergy in space and the real time on ground when you attack planets on the TBS stratergy.

Archived