Home

Vampire - The Masquerades : Bloodlines

Mex

Anyone got this game? I got it yesterday, and after getting 3 hours to get the game to work (Crashing every time I went inside a building) I started to play it.

The graphics look kinda nice, but I wouldn't know what they were like at max, because this game slows my computer down more than Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 together for some reason. Everywhere I go in the streets I get around 15 fps, yet on Half-Life I can get around 30-60.

The melee weapons are awesome, the severed arm is the best. I love the way the hand flops about when you run. But it hurts then that wierd guy tries to beat you up with it. Ranged weapons are lacking though, the accuracy stinks. You could be crouching down, and aiming for the chest and for some reason it'd miss him by miles and hit a box instead. You have to be quite close up to hit a guy.

One thing I don't like about this game is the clothes, I'm in Downtown (Not very far) and I've only gotten the shirt + trousers I started off with, and a green jacket.

Some characters are funny to talk to, especially the bartender at the Asylum, you can tell him a story and he'll just stare into space and ignore you. You can choose some wierd story options to tell him. I chose "I was told by my doctor I only had 30 days to live.... In a poker game [or something like that]... I'm a walking TV by the end of the week!

Sometimes the game is quite scary (Mainly because I'm a wimp) when you enter the *SPOILERS - If you want to avoid look for the word SEVERED below.* haunted house, you can faintly hear "Help me..." quietly, then you see ghosts running along and screams. When you go into the kitchen area you hear it quite loudly and it scared the hell out of me. I was relieved when I found the pendant and I could get out of there.

One other mission which is kinda annoying is the one where you have to slash the paintings and that blood monster thing pops out, I had hardly any health and he killed me with a few hits. Beat him when I had full though.

SEVERED. Overall if I had to give this game a score I'd give it 7/10. I would raise it it to 8.6 out of 10 but the problems it gave me at the start and my bad framerate take away alot of points.

Now you lot post about it.. Also post a pic of your character if you want. I'll post a pic of mine later.

I'm really torn on this one...

I was excited about the first vampire game, but it turned out to be a rubbish combat fest.

I have seen virtually no hype for this one.. but it looks like a mix between KOTOR and Deus Ex with the sensibility of Fallout. Which sounds cool.

On the other hand i have heard that the game is very buggy, the physics aren't used, and (most importantly for me) the ranged combat is underpowered (or alternatively the close combat (esp knockdown) is overpowered).

It seems like a quite combat oriented game, so having half the combat options removed at the start is a bit annoying...

I think that i am hoping it will be a new Deus Ex (1) or system shock 2, but it sounds like i may be dissappointed.

So i'm going to wait a while, at the very least untilt hey bring out a few bug and balance patches... after all, there are a few other games out to play atm.

Originally posted by toms

On the other hand i have heard that the game is very buggy, the physics aren't used, and (most importantly for me) the ranged combat is underpowered (or alternatively the close combat (esp knockdown) is overpowered).

Bullets have no effect on the undead body - anything thats not a fledgling knows that. Which is why many of the elder vampires tend to carry around more...eh, whats the word? Medival weaponry. Crossbows and bows can stake your vampiric enemies and blades are just a very nice way to say goodbye.

Play the P&P game of Vampire the Masquerade and you'll see why guns are nothing but a joke in that game.

Which is why I said play the P&P to get a better understanding - I was being lazy.

Heres how it works - Bullets don't do squat. Most vampires can walk through them with a stupid grin on their face, rip the gun from the shooter's hands, and beat them to death with it. That is of course unless its a head shot. A head shot will knock a vampire on his ass, but not for long*depending on the gun*. A .38 shotgun blast to the side of the head would probably kill a vampire. A .9mm handgun - it'll piss em off.

Crossbows and bows will stop a vampire way before any gun will, and it won't have to be a headshot. Of course, a grenades effect seems to do the same to a vampire as to a human...

I just got to hollywood. Got me a cool leather suit. I'm kinda stuck with this video tape thing, I met this guy and he said something about Ginger swan, ran off and got killed. Now I have no idea where to go. After I complete it I'm gonna start off with one of those Nafarusomething (I can't remember it) :^: I want to see what its like to stick to the sewers and avoid the public.

Has anyone seen some of the console commands you can do? The devs forgot to take out the Half-Life 2 cheat give weapon Psycannon. It'll most probably be fixed in a patch. I hope that they make the weapon accuracy a bit better aswell, I've made mine 3 or 4 and I don't notice a difference.

Oh, and after you do that mission where you have to visit that sarcophagus (I spelt that completely wrong) and if you kill alot the Prince gets angry at you, if you tell him to %£&! off he says in an angry voice "Go... Find.. (Can't remember his name) " and the only option you can pick is "I will find him." That made me laugh.

i got it last night, really enjoy it. although i've spent most of my 8+ hours starting new games and experimenting. i've settled down with ventrue now. :cool: they have top persuasion, and all that goodie crap. i'm still in the 1st place, so i have basic clothes, .38, and a baseball bat. :[

but i get to feed easily as i've convinced this guy to walk down a dark alley for me. :p

I have been playing for probably 25+ hours (guess-timate), and am doing pretty well. I think that this is a really good RPG, with decent action. VtM: B isn't HL2 ... but then HL2 is no VtM: B, if you get my meaning.

Some thoughts:

- The questing is fun, sometimes difficult, and requires you to think and pay more attention than in many games.

- The ranged combat is OK, but you'll chew through ammo more quickly than is worth it.

- Playing as a Tremere, I get cool spells to lay waste to just about anything. What doesn't die, I whack pretty fast, and go drink some more blood.

- The graphics, IMO, are better than anything but HL2 and Doom3. Performance is below HL2 but better than Doom 3 or Deus Ex 2 or MoHPA on my laptop, about the same as Thief 3.

- The physics implementation is better than any action-RPG I've played ;)

- Ditto for the facials and characterizations.

A really cool thing:

- You constantly walk the line between monster and human, and your quests show that. Do you get a Masquerade violation? Lose a humanity point? Weigh what you choose to do carefully.

All in all I'm very much enjoying the game. It was well worth my $50, and lasts >3 times longer than that 'other' Source engine game, and has replayability built-in.

Mike

A Tremere? A TREMERE!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Hellfire Jedi

way to seem like a major moron, nice job kain. :rolleyes:

atm, i've found that ventrue has a dominate discipline. its usefull in chat, and in a fight. look at your enemy and right click at this point, they grab their throat and fall over, dead.

Hey, have you ever heard of this thing called bite me? Who here has played the ACTUAL game? Until I find someone, I'll say what I want about the damn clans that SUCK(IMO atleast).

A Ventrue? A VENTRUE?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

You want Dominate? Use a cool clan...like the Lasombra...oh wait, you can't. Because video games only let you be 'the good guys'. No Assamite? ****, Kain no buy if no Assamite. Man ****, you can't be ANYTHING good in that. The coolest there are the Gangrel, and they suck.

Lousy Camarilla clans...Let the Sabbat and Independants have a game there, White Wolf bum humps.

Originally posted by Kain

Hey, have you ever heard of this thing called bite me? Who here has played the ACTUAL game? Until I find someone, I'll say what I want about the damn clans that SUCK(IMO atleast).

A Ventrue? A VENTRUE?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

You want Dominate? Use a cool clan...like the Lasombra...oh wait, you can't. Because video games only let you be 'the good guys'. No Assamite? ****, Kain no buy if no Assamite. Man ****, you can't be ANYTHING good in that. The coolest there are the Gangrel, and they suck.

Lousy Camarilla clans...Let the Sabbat and Independants have a game there, White Wolf bum humps.

satan is calling you. on a more serious note, calm the hell down. you're insulting people who play this game and acting like a knowitall *******, calm down before you get the thread locked.

Whoa whoa whoa back the truck up here Hellfire. I'm insulting people? Lessee...

way to seem like a major moron, nice job kain

And then I responded with

have you ever heard of this thing called bite me?

I think calling someone a moron qualifies as more of an insult that telling the original insultee to bite me. Now you're telling to calm down and calling me an *******?

Seeing as how I'm the only person thus far that has played the game of which this video game was created from, I am a knowitall.

Eeyeah...whatever boats your float there Scooby.

Originally posted by GothiX

Kain, please, drop it, at least until you've played the game. Gangrel are way underpowered in it, sadly.

*goes back to his Nosferatu*

What are you talking about? Seriously, Venture, Tremere, Giovanni, Ravnos, and Setites are irk me deep down...something about being a stuck up priss just...eeyea, you get it.

Nosferatu - got nothing against em.

Wow. This seems like an awefull lot of fighting. And for what? I thought everyone already knew that vampires were gay now. Remember when they were a little bit scary? You know, back before over privileged, supposedly abused pasty white kids took all their coolness away? "Daddy didn't hug me enough! I'll show him! I'll be obsessed with vampires!". Way to stick it to the man there, Vlad X. Vampire mythos has been reduced to holding little glowing stick thingys and shaking them for your "trance" buddies, wearing makeup and black clothing in a gay bar, whilst gay music blares in the background. Sucking blood has been replaced by sucking ****, and that is actually more frightening.

Archived