Home

Hidden Messages

TiE23

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by jon_hill987

Is there a link to the reversed clip? I couldn't find it.

anyway don't these always sound like someone going

"ayyyyyyeeeepp meeeeppp yyyuukk guuuuaaaaaapppp"

that ain't satanic its backwards

Say what?

TiE

Originally posted by jon_hill987

Is there a link to the reversed clip? I couldn't find it.

anyway don't these always sound like someone going

"ayyyyyyeeeepp meeeeppp yyyuukk guuuuaaaaaapppp"

that ain't satanic its backwards

Indeed, but in these cases, it'll say something like

"ayyyyyyeeeepp meeeeppp iii loovvveee sssaaatttaannnn yyyuukk guuuuaaaaaapppp"

Which is the whole point of this thread.

I always find stuff like this amusing.

First: Can human beings really pick up on a message buried backwards in lyrics they are listening to forwards, even subliminally? I highly doubt it. I've always felt this whole discussion was incredibly silly.

Besides, I haven't heard of too many uptight parents outraged over this kind of thing lately since there is usually enough to be outraged over the lyrics in the music being played forward without bothering trying to listen for "Backwards-Masking."

Second: Most of these tracks were recorded back in the LP age... meaning listening to them backwards really had to be a bit of a chore, since most record players weren't designed to play backwards. That means most of this hard work these artists undertook would have been in vain.

Third: In an entire LP worth of material, if a couple of phases sound like they might be saying something when played backwards seems to me more like sheer coincidence rather than something planned. If you listen to an hour of gibberish, ESPECIALLY if you are trying to find some hidden message, odds are you are going to hear it. It's really the same principle as what allows us to see a face in a grilled cheese sandwich: our brain desperately tries to dicern patterns we can recognize where there simply aren't any.

Trust me... I used to do editing on reel-to-reel tape-decks and you spend a lot of time listening to parts of tracks both forward and backwards while scrubbing the tape to find a good edit point. I thought heard a lot of things... but I don't for a second imagine any of them were the slightest bit intentional.

Fourth: Recording sessions are expensive, high-pressure situations for most artists. I don't imagine most of them would bother with trying to write lyrics that say something special when played backwards while they are on the clock in the studio. It's not impossible... I'm sure a few folks did it on purpose; but I highly doubt that it was as widespread as it has been made to look.

Originally posted by edlib

Third: In an entire LP worth of material, if a couple of phases sound like they might be saying something when played backwards seems to me more like sheer coincidence rather than something planned. If you listen to an hour of gibberish, ESPECIALLY if you are trying to find some hidden message, odds are you are going to hear it. It's really the same principle as what allows us to see a face in a grilled cheese sandwich: our brain desperately tries to dicern patterns we can recognize where there simply aren't any.

Yah, I already knew that :p

TiE

I really wonder what we would find if we all listened to Contemporary Christian music backwards... Hmmmmm...

:joy:

Again... it always seems to me that the people listening to these tracks in reverse always hear something that will totally corrupt the moral fibre of America's poor, totally impressionable youth.

Nobody ever hears, "Stay in school!" or "Study hard!" or even ever "Invest in Microsoft!" ;)

Originally posted by edlib

Nobody ever hears, "Stay in school!" or "Study hard!" or even ever "Invest in Microsoft!" ;)

According to the Terry Pratchett book "Johnny and the Dead" if you play Cliff Ritchard backwards there is a message from God that says

"hey kids, go to school, listen to your parents, it's cool to go to church"

Ok, so thats fiction, but it could happen.

Originally posted by Kain

Nobody seems to wanna dispute that Pink Floyd one...hmm...maybe cuz its PLAIN AS DAY.

That one is obviously just recorded backwards. When played forwards it doesn't sound like anything else,.. just unintelligable background noise.

Floyd was just having fun with this whole urban myth. Good for them.

Originally posted by Agen_Terminator

Even though i haven't posted in this thread i have been following it closely. I've done quite a bit of research on the net. Out of curiosity, i recorded my friend on Vent. Playing in reverse Waaazup = Hello.

Freaky :D

Think about it though, the english language would have to be designed for "what's up" said as "wazzup" to mean "hello" beckwards. It's insane to believe that.

That's what I thought but i have the file right here, I'll upload it later.

Technically, a letter is a set of phonetics said in the one go. A letter is the smallest unit we can use (well, should be but it is close enough), it is like the atom - it's the smallest but subatomic exists. :p

I'm a sceptic but hey, i found it very cool that this happened. Experiencing it for yourself can change your mind to ' a bit unsure' like it did mine.

Originally posted by Agen_Terminator

Technically, a letter is a set of phonetics said in the one go. A letter is the smallest unit we can use (well, should be but it is close enough), it is like the atom - it's the smallest but subatomic exists. :p

I'm a sceptic but hey, i found it very cool that this happened. Experiencing it for yourself can change your mind to ' a bit unsure' like it did mine.

Hmm, never thought of that.

- - -

But, its way to hard to make lyrics that make sense forward, and say something else backwards, But the Led Zep one is just...... to impossible for it to be an accident, but too impossible to be on purpose....... This is freaky.

TiE

Originally posted by TiE 23

Hmm, never thought of that.

- - -

But, its way to hard to make lyrics that make sense forward, and say something else backwards, But the Led Zep one is just...... to impossible for it to be an accident, but too impossible to be on purpose....... This is freaky.

TiE

Easy, bud.

The first time I listened to it backwards, I didn't have lyrics to look at. And all I heard was a distorted way of saying satan and 666. The rest of that crap, i didn't hear at all, until someone gave my the backward lyrics. Then, I could hear it somewhat.

Originally posted by Acrylic

Easy, bud.

The first time I listened to it backwards, I didn't have lyrics to look at. And all I heard was a distorted way of saying satan and 666. The rest of that crap, i didn't hear at all, until someone gave my the backward lyrics. Then, I could hear it somewhat.

Its called...... imagination[/spongeBob]

TiE

There was a tape they used to play on the Dr. Demento radio show of a guy who played "New York, New York" backwards, learned to play and sing it like that, recorded himself doing it, and then played that recording in reverse.

It was the freakiest sounding thing you'll ever hear.

I think this is it: http://lanphier.net/mp3/new_york.mp3

The vocals come in towards the end of the clip.

I don't know why that just came to me... but it seemed to fit the discussion somewhat.

Originally posted by jebbers

*wonders who would take the time to play a bunch of songs backwards to hear hidden messages*me of course!

I guess in a state were you get snowed in for like 3 months, you might be like "HEY BILL, GRAB A SHOVLE, DIG A WHOLE TO MY PLACE AND LETS PLAY SOME LED ZEPLIN BACKWARDS AND DANCE NAKED! EH! I GOT THE BEERS"

Archived