Home

Endor Siege

monsoontide

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by wedge2211

If you move the texture on the control point patches up just a tad, you won't have those wierd floating rings above the gradients.

I also still think the fog should have a brown component, less blue-green and more brown-green (think of the colors you'd see in a forest as it faded into the distance).

You can make a skybox show through fog by adding the line "q3map_nofog" or "nofog" to the sky shader under all the surfaceparms. I forget which specifically, try q3map_nofog first. Then, you can use the skybox as a foghull and the game will stop drawing your map at some distant point beyond the fog, but you'll always be able to see the sky images. I used this trick in my Corellian Platform Encounter duel to achieve a lightning-in-foggy-storm effect.

You may need to hit "refresh" in order to see the new pix above.

I really don't want to have much fog - like in the last two screenshots (It's supposed to be more of a haze - and I' have it blue since making it more yellow or brown makes everything look really dirty - besides, distance haze tends more towards blue - since that's what I'm trying for rather than a fog as such - but I'm still tinkering and these are by no means final in any way) but it's that whole fps thing and I'm trying to disguise my distancecull settings.

Originally posted by monsoontide

making it more yellow or brown makes everything look really dirty

You can probably avoid this by making the fog not be drawn until some distance away from the player. That can be achieved with a worldspawn key that I unfortunately don't know...think GothiX does. That way things'll look "clean" until they suddenly fade into the forest.

GothicX - what are you talking about????

I know the ewok platform textures look terrible, but I haven't had a chance to "res them up" yet, and haven't decided the best way to make the platforms yet, whether using brushes, or making a md3 or ase - but it's a trade of between detail and fps, quality and speed.

As for the terrain, it was generated by that terrain generating program. The textures themselves are unforunately small, but since I can't just wander out into a redwood forrest and take photo's I'm kinda limited.

If you know where I can get better redwood forrest textures, by all means let me know.

Currently I'm just trying to get the damn map working fast enough for multi-player.

I am always open to helpful advice and input.

alphaMod blending??? Perhaps if you have a tutorial (or link to tutorial) - really, I'm just trying to make this look as best I can.

The JA textures are nice but don't look like redwood forrest textures - they tend to be a bit more er... "swampy" looking.

I'll probably have to make my own - just not yet.

I've been trying to make a sprite shader for undergrowth and while it works fine as a shader by itself, I can't get it to work as part of the terrain shader - it shows up in occasional places and then only from certain angles.

Does anyone know the location of some sprite shader tutorials - it seems easy enough and my early tests looked fine - there just seems to be some conflict between the terrain shader and generating sprites.

And again, please feel free to make suggestions for what you'd like to see / be able to do as part of the Siege map.

Hmm... I must be missing something - Isn't that what Easy-Gen does - alpha blending two textures together over a series of brushes to create seamlessly mapped terrain? It just all depends on the textures you are using I guess.

Thanks for the ref pix. I'm gettin 4 days off over Xmas and another 4 over New Year so hope to get some work done...

Current priority is to get the whole Siege thing up and working so if anyone is interested I'll be able to do some ALPHA testing to get the gameplay right, then I'll concentrate on getting all the detailing right.

On my last SIEGE map I think I ended up changeing about 50% of the level after the last BETA test 'cos everyone was having trouble with the lifts.

Originally posted by monsoontide

Hmm... I must be missing something - Isn't that what Easy-Gen does - alpha blending two textures together over a series of brushes to create seamlessly mapped terrain? It just all depends on the textures you are using I guess.

No, Easygen only uses stupid triangles. TWith this, you can make it all by hand. As well, Easygen doesn't do things as smoothly, and as CUSTOMISED as alphaMod.

Stop that now... :mad:

Yes, I see, I've read the article a bit more thoroughly - or more to say I've glanced at it a bit more thoroughly. But you'd still have to build the terrain out of brushes anyway - I was planning to do it that way but I have MAJOR time contraints on how long I can work on this each day.

While I'm sure you are very busy yourself GothicX, perhaps you could assist me with making something better. I'm all out for making this as good as it can be as I've said before, and sometimes I just don't have either the experience or time to take care of certain aspects as well as I'd like... (Testing and retesting until you get something just right can eat up sooo much time!)

P.S. Is there a way to rotate (Non animated - just for positioning within Radiant) an .md3 model around an axis other than the vertical? (I haven't researched this yet - just thought somebody may know)

MonGo is wrong, use an "angles" key, use an X Y Z value.

And I'd love to help, but I don't map anymore, I'm afraid. You can always PM me though, if you have questions.

As for time constraints: It's Christmas soon, holidays should brig some time (assuming your boss is friendly enough to give you those days off), and hey, it's not like you have a deadline, right?

Archived