Home

Endor Siege

monsoontide

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

suns are not good to use *my opinion*

if your smart you light the map whit a big loud of lights yust like raven suns mostly bring more errors then good ligthing whit them its like having a bad sun burn

and small lgihts lets you make your own kind of light at all places :)

First, some relatively minor gripes:

- I'd like the ground texture outside better if it wasn't blown up so damn big. Right now all I see are brown and green pixels.

- In shot 05, your struts against the walls have ugly misaligned textures.

- What's that to the right of shot 07? A lake, or ground fog? it looks kinda strange.

- In my opinion, shot 08 is the best you have. Looks mostly like the movie, looks like a forest. Nice blending into the skybox. Good job!

The big problems I have are still the same as before...the cyan fog does NOT look good on Endor! I suggest, again, you make a light brownish-greenish-grayish fog that won't be such an eyesore and won't hold attention the way your current fog does. After the color change, increase the drawdist of your fog and add the key "_fogstart 2000" to your worldspawn. That way the fog won't even start being draw till 2000 units away, which will give you a clear view until that point. Try it out and see how it looks, trust me on that. You can always paste back your old fog and write "wedge sucks" if you hate it. Then, add a tree-lines skybox with q3map_nofog in it, so the sky shows through the fog instead of the map fading to bright cyan nothingness.

Believe me Wedge, I've had the fog set to all sorts of draw distances and am still working on it...

You can complain to me about misaligned textures/texture sizes once the BETA comes out!!! ;)

Currently I don't care too much since I'm just trying to get a map layout that works.

The thing with skyboxes and fog seems to be an all or nothing thing. Either it doesn't show through the fog at all or it looks like the fog doesn't effect it at all. I kind of want a 50/50 split.

There's something in the portal sky about having fog in there but haven't figured out how that works.

I've done more work on the Rebel Commando since these shots were taken. He should look A LOT better after I get a skin on him.

Have you done a light compile yet, monsoon? Or is this the level of lighting you're looking to achieve in this map?

I suspect you haven't done a light compile yet, because the player models in the shots appear to be unlit and lighting is very uniform outside with no shadows at all.

Originally posted by Nokill

raven also preverse to use normal lighting instead of suns i also don't like suns

Except for that Raven didn't do that, they used entity suns. And suns only suck when you don't know how they work, and how they can be used to their full extent.

Yes, but there's absolutely no reason to use entity suns.

q3map_sunExt along with q3map_skylight in your skybox shader (along with some decent parameters) is far superior to the best entity suns.

monsoon, if you need any help with the shader code feel free to contact me via PM or messenger program.

Have decided to rework several large sections of the map - including the main terrain section (To allow better speeder-bike battles) and have drastically shortened the way through the bunker, past the generators and up to the landing platform in order to speed up play. I also removed the two turbo-lifts in this section, since lifts seem to cause annoying bottlenecks during play.

Have rezed up the ground textures from 215x215 to 1024x1024, so it "should" look better.

Originally posted by monsoontide

Have rezed up the ground textures from 215x215 to 1024x1024, so it "should" look better.

I hope you meant 256x256...

The textures won't look any better if you just resized them in Photoshop or PSP - you'd have to get ahold of larger originals.

Ooops, yeah, I did mean 256 :eek:

I went out and took some photos with my digital camera of various ground surfaces (I'm not that silly to just resize a texture - jeesh, sounds like something one of my clients would want to do!) LOL.

The battlefront textures are just placeholders, indicating what I want the texture to look like, until I can make better versions.

Good news, Psyk0-Sith has finished rigging the AT-ST Pilot and he works wonderfully. So should look great in the map.

I've been busy trying to finish up a whole slew of old models I started way back in late 2003/ early 2004, so I've currently released the Rebel Transport, The Queens Starship and the desert skiff over at http://www.pcgamemods.com.

Have a couple more releases planned then it'll be back to endor, which I'm a lot happier with now with the new layout and landscape. The hi-res textures make a huge difference too.

However, lighting with a sky shader doesn't seem to light as "evenly" through fog as an entity_sun.

Will post some screens soon.

Archived