Home

most moving speech in a film?

Leper Messiah

in my opinion is by the character of John Coffey in The Green Mile, played superbly by Micheal Clarke Duncan. Ill put the speech in here but i dont think itll do it justice, if you havnt seen the film i really do reccommend it

PAUL (played by Tom Hanks)

On the day of my judgement, when I stand before God, and He asks me why did I kill one of his true miracles, what am I gonna say? That is was my job?

COFFEY

You tell God the Father it was a kindness you done. (takes his hand) I know you hurtin' and worryin', I can feel it on you, but you oughtta quit on it now. Because I want it over and done. I do.

(Coffey hesitates trying to find the right words, trying to make Paul understand)

I'm tired, boss. Tired of bein' on the road, lonely as a sparrow in

the rain. Tired of never having me a buddy to be with, or tell me where we's coming from or going to, or why. Mostly I'm tired of people bein' ugly to each other.

I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world ever' day. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?

so what for you is the most moving speech by a character in a movie and if anyone says the persidents speech in Independance Day i swear ill lynch 'em :D

The Lord of the Rings had some good bits though

Yeah. I don't know if this is the most moving, but I sure like the one in the Fellowship when they are in the Mines of Moria and Gandalf is talking to Frodo...

...All we can do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us...

...or something to that effect. I like that part a lot. :)

And this one's not from a movie, but it's one of my all time favorite quotes ever...

From the book Sabriel by Garth Nix:

Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker.

Good stuff. :D

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

I would have to go with:

"And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger....." from Pulp Fiction.

Hell, just about ANYTHING from Pulp Fiction or Apocalypse Now!

:D excellent. And don't forget the foot massage debate and the tony rockyhara(sp?) thing. gah, I love that movie.

Fight Club -

Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

And don't knock on the Independance Day speech. ****ty movie, but damn good speech.

Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in this history of mankind.

Mankind -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today.

We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore.

We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July; and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation.

We're fighting for our right to live, to exist.

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:

"We will not go quietly into the night.

We will not vanish without a fight.

We're going to live on.

We're going to survive."

Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!

Originally posted by Altus_Thrawn

Agreed Sabriel (And Lirael and Abhorsen for that matter) have quite their fair share of good lines. And rhymes.

It's true. I'm rereading the trilogy right now (I couldn't help myself. I was really pumped from finishing The Ragwitch) and I have to make myself not right down every single quotable quote. Because if I did, I'd hardly get any reading done. :D

And Independence Day is rather crummy. The speech is good, but delivered very badly by Bill Pullman. :xp:

Aragorn's speech from ROTK:

Hold your ground! Hold your ground.

Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers,

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.

A day may come when the courage of men fails,

when we forsake our friends

and break all bonds of fellowship,

but it is not this day.

An hour of wolves and shattered shields,

when the age of men comes crashing down,

but it is not this day.

This day we fight!

For all that you hold dear on this good Earth,

I bid you stand, Men of the West!!

William Wallace's from Braveheart:

"I am William Wallace. And I see a whole army of my countrymen,

here in defiance of tyranny! You have come to fight as free men. And

free man you are! What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?"

"Two thousand against ten?" - the veteran shouted. "No! We will

run - and live!"

"Yes!" Wallace shouted back. "Fight and you may die. Run and you

will live at least awhile. And dying in your bed many years from now,

would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for

one chance, just one cahnce, to come back here as young men and tell

our enemies that they may take our lives but they will never take

our freedom!"

The dialogue between frodo and samwise on the slopes of mount doom. The exact words of the entirety fail me, but Sam's final remark is what really gets me.

"Then let us be rid of it, once and for all. I can't carry it for you, but I CAN CARRY YOU!"

King Theoden's speech to the Riders of Rohan before their descent to Pelannor Fields is ALSO fantastic.

Originally posted by --ZeeMan--

Aragorn's speech from ROTK:

Hold your ground! Hold your ground.

Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers,

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.

A day may come when the courage of men fails,

when we forsake our friends

and break all bonds of fellowship,

but it is not this day.

An hour of wolves and shattered shields,

when the age of men comes crashing down,

but it is not this day.

This day we fight!

For all that you hold dear on this good Earth,

I bid you stand, Men of the West!!

I like that one

I just want to know why he says this bit

"May the Lord of the black land come forth, so that justice may be done oppon him"

in an Irish (N.Irlnd i think) accent? when the rest of his lines in the film wernt?

Archived