Home

most moving speech in a film?

Leper Messiah

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Hell, I heard Independence Day was quite good...

hehe.. Grooves using the word poo strikes me as funny... ^_^

ID4 completely STOLE the entire story of War of the Worlds, dumped in some special fx, alot of bad one liners, and alot of actors. Oh and let us not forget this great moment:

"In the words of my generation, UP YOURS!"

OR:

"I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!"

And this one always kills me:

"Anybody got any missles left?"

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

ID4 completely STOLE the entire story of War of the Worlds, dumped in some special fx, alot of bad one liners, and alot of actors.

youve almost certainly described Spielberg's upcoming version of The War Of The Worlds, KILL SPIELBERG THE BOOK BURNER

thank god for the book-faithful Pendragon version

i'm not really sure what the best speech was in a movie. the independance day speech was good. the one speech that Dillon (played by Charles Dutton) gives in alien 3 to rally the other inmates is pretty good, and it touches on a couple of values as well. otherwise, i can't really think of anything else. :(

i guess i need to get out more often....:rolleyes:

the independence day speech was possibly the corniest, cheesiest speech in movie history.... i'm fairly sure Kain was kidding about that one... (as for the rest of you, i hope you guys were kidding too... :eek::D )

Actually, it's hard to think of any "speeches" from movies that are good, as they all seem to be predictable and fairly rubbish. All the "war leader" ones seem based on Mel Gibson in braveheart (aragorn, king arthur, etc..)

so i'll go with a short one:

"On your feet Soldier!!" - Terminator

(or is uppose you could count the "no fate" bit from terminator 2 as a speech).

this part in TTT chokes me up all the time...i dunno why.

lrond: "Arwen. Tollen i lû. I chair gwannar na Valannor. Si bado, no círar."

(Arwen. It is time.

The ships are leaving for Valinor. Go now... before it is too late.)

Arwen: "I've made my choice."

Elrond: "He is not coming back. Why do you linger when there is no hope?"

Arwen: "There is still hope."

Elrond: "If Aragorn survives this war, You will still be parted."

Elrond: "If Sauron is defeated, and Aragorn made king and all that you hoped for comes true...

you will still have to taste the bitterness of mortality."

[A shot of Arwen's face changes and we see Aragorn lying dead on his grave, Arwen standing next to him, crying.]

Elrond: "Whether by the sword or the slow decay of time, Aragorn will die. And there will be no comfort for you.

No comfort to ease the pain of his passing."

Elrond: "He will come to death. An image of the splendor of the kings of men in glory, undimmed before the breaking of the world.

But you, my daughter, you will linger on in darkness and in doubt. As night falling winter has come without a star."

[Arwen is walkig alone in empty woods, dressed in black]

Elrond: "Here you will dwell, bound to you grief, under the fading trees, until all the world has changed and the

long years of your life are utterly spent."

[The scene comes back to Rivendell and we see Arwen's face as tears fall from her eyes and she gasps.]

Elrond: "Arwen... there is nothing for you here, only death."

Originally posted by ckcsaber

Same here. I think her scenes really slowed the pacing of the movies down.

i would yell "BLASPHEMY!!!!", but you are entitled to your own opinion.

removing arwen removes all the romance from the movies. sure it slows things down, but would you rather have a 1hr30min action flick or a +2hr epic???

Originally posted by stingerhs

i would yell "BLASPHEMY!!!!", but you are entitled to your own opinion.

removing arwen removes all the romance from the movies. sure it slows things down, but would you rather have a 1hr30min action flick or a +2hr epic???

i agree, her whole role in the movie was to provide that unviewable strength to aragorn. and it was the faith that they shared in each other that allowed the movie to superb

Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers, I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends

and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.

An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day. This day we fight!

For all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!!

-Aragorn, son of Arathorn

That, or Sam's speech at the end of the Two Towers. I can't recall it word for word at the moment, but the way it ends:

Frodo: "What are we holding on to, Sam?"

Sam: "That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And that it's worth fighting for!"

actually, sams speech at the end of two towers was pretty good... talking about heros in stories and so forth...

When aragorn was doing his big speech though i kept expecting him to shout "They may take out lives, but they'll never take our freedom!!!" :D

Frodo: I can't do this Sam.

Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are.

It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now.

Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding on to Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

'He may take our pride, he may take our freedom, but he'll never take my God Damned 16 dollars and 12 cents! Now who's with me?' - Cartman.

I've seen better ofcourse, but I like this one anyway.

I'd go with Aragorn's speech, i haven't really seen much more.

I like the one from the intro to FS2:

"Thirty two years have passed since the Great War. The Shivans vanished half a lifetime ago, and now we live in the mausoleum of history. We inherit the legacy of the ghosts who haunt these ruins. The elders call us 'The Lost Generation'.

I remember stories of a glorious civilization. Of cities with spires that reached the sun. Of a blue planet, with vast seas. Of people with myths of humanity everlasting, of children who saw in the embers of dying stars the destiny of their race. And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

They say our people have no present - only a past filled with horror and a future they can only dream of. Now we forge a new alliance, to guard the tomb of space and find within its cold expanse the salvation of our race."

It's much more effective in the movie - the delivery is superb. It's actually one of the very few game movies that made me feel sad... it's slightly hard watching it 'cause I know what's going to happen to the guy piloting that Hercules. :(

Archived