Home

Mac people are KotOR players too

ChAiNz.2da

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by SothiHenson

There's another tool for DLG work - "DLG Editor" - but it won't run at all on my setup (I think it's looking for the PC installation of KotOR, and failing when it can't find the master dialog file).

Quick update:

Much like KotOR Tool, I got an older version of DLG Editor to run. Unfortunately, it also puts out DLG files that mess up the game when I test them. It fails in a different fashion, but it still fails. :(

I took a closer look at the DLG file made with KotOR Tool, compared to the unaltered version that works. One thing I notice is that the modified version seems to have turned all the dialog strings into independent ones (rather than links to the master dialog.tlk file). Maybe this is normal, but it might also point to a problem. I don't really know.

I'm exploring the possibility of using GFF Editor for my immediate Dialog needs, but I'm not sure that'll work either.

More to come.

Hey there fellow mac users :)

Anyone else have the problem where you seem to lose control of your PC and they sort of run in circles or stop moving and then suddenly appear across the space you are in? I noticed it happens more in large open spaces like the matale lands on dantooine, but sometimes it happens other places too.

I installed the 1.3 patch with no improvement.

Any suggestions?

My computer is a 12" powerbook G4

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.8

CPU Processor: PowerPC G4

CPU Speed: 1.33GHz

Memory: 768 MB or higher

Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX Go5200

Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB

Thanks, Vivojack

Originally posted by vivojack

I installed the 1.3 patch with no improvement.

Any suggestions?

My computer is a 12" powerbook G4

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.8

CPU Processor: PowerPC G4

CPU Speed: 1.33GHz

Memory: 768 MB or higher

Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX Go5200

Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB

Thanks, Vivojack

Greets Vivojack! :waive1:

Glad to have you aboard.. hehe

Did you install version 1.03c (the c being the important part).. you can get it here:

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18336

Although, I have seen this problem on my PC version as well (I have both), so I don't think it's just Mac related.

It happened to me (alot) when I was on Tattoine in the Dune Sea. Usually while I'm either about to attack (closing in) or just after it ends. It's really freaky too.... one moment you're there then all of a sudden you're about 100 feet away...

Give the 1.03c update a whirl (if you haven't already), and make sure your laptop isn't getting too hot after extended play... :)

Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da

Greets Vivojack! :waive1:

Glad to have you aboard.. hehe

Did you install version 1.03c (the c being the important part).. you can get it here:

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18336

Although, I have seen this problem on my PC version as well (I have both), so I don't think it's just Mac related.

It happened to me (alot) when I was on Tattoine in the Dune Sea. Usually while I'm either about to attack (closing in) or just after it ends. It's really freaky too.... one moment you're there then all of a sudden you're about 100 feet away...

Give the 1.03c update a whirl (if you haven't already), and make sure your laptop is getting too hot after extended play... :)

I've seen this issue too. I think it's related to computer speed. When I run the game on my friend's iMac G5, it happens only very rarely. But on my PowerMac G4 Dual-533 (well below the minimum system requirements) it happens constantly. I'm running 1.03c by the way.

I would think your PowerBook would be able to handle it though.

Thanks guys.

I am running 1.03c, I guess my computer is not quite powerful enough to handle the game ... sigh

On a different note - anyone know if TSL will come out for Mac? and any idea on timeframe?

Thanks again, Vivojack

Thanks guys.

I am running 1.03c, I guess my computer is not quite powerful enough to handle the game ... sigh

On a different note - anyone know if TSL will come out for Mac?

Thanks again, Vivojack

Only rumors... though I really hope it's Aspyr again that releses TSL. Maybe they'll actually get the coding right ;)

as for your laptop, the specs look great enough. Though I've heard nasty rumors the vid card in portables have problems with running KotOR & TSL... :(

Originally posted by SothiHenson

I'm exploring the possibility of using GFF Editor for my immediate Dialog needs, but I'm not sure that'll work either.

SUCCESS!!!! :x-wing::edeaths:

I finally made a breakthrough with dialog editing!

I was able to output working DLG files with GFF Editor. In the end, it was the stupidest thing in the world that was preventing me from getting GFF Editor to work right... there's a field for "language" that actives the text field for custom dialog. You have to enter "0" to active it, but it never seemed to work. It turns out it only works if you press the ENTER key. The directions say to click the "Add" button, but that doesn't work for me. Pressing ENTER does, however!

Unlike THE GUI-based dialog editors, GFF Editor outputs valid, functioning DLG files in VPC. The bad news, of course, is that GFF Editor is not a tree-based editor, so it's a real challenge creating complex dialog. I'll worry about that when the time comes.

For now, I'm just thrilled that my Mod is back in business.

More to come

Nice Tone,

Good to hear it.

Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the old kotor editor that works on mac? The one you are using Tone?

Thought I might try my hand at some minor modding. (and slipstream you Tone since you are doing all the groundbreaking :) )

Thanks,

Vivojack

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I last posted. I didn't really do much for several weeks, but over the last couple of days I've been hard at work. I'm just about ready to release an early beta version of my Mod if people want to try it out. Here's a sneak peek at what I'm up to:

janiceparty3sj.jpg

Notice anything different about your party options? :)

More to come...

Edit: BTW, I finally figured out how to take screenshots (thankfully!)

Nice Tone,

Good to hear it.

Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the old kotor editor that works on mac? The one you are using Tone?

Thought I might try my hand at some minor modding. (and slipstream you Tone since you are doing all the groundbreaking :) )

Thanks,

Vivojack

I'll see what I can do about making the version I use available, but I wouldn't want to step on any toes (specifically the developer's toes) by mass-distributing an old version of his software. I doubt he'd have a problem with it, but it doesn't hurt to be respectful, just in case. We'll see how it goes.

Either way, I should warn you that the software isn't terribly stable in my setup - I get a lot of errors and crashes and the like. It's actually quite a pain to use. I'm just doing the best I can with it.

• 4 months later...

I'm a Mac user, and had a TON of trouble with KOTOR in 10.4, I just wanna share how I got around it:

go to swkotor.ini (location mentioned above) and under "[Graphics Options]"

press Return and type: (or cut-paste) "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1"

Without quotes of course.

I hope this helps, everyone!

^^^

Always good to see another MAC user :D

Also, just a 'heads up'... I should be getting a copy (legal..not the stuff floating around on the net, this one actually works the way it's intended) of the new OSX(86) version ... you know, the one you can install on a PC :emodanc: (un-released, but I'm now Apple certified & I've got contacts! w00t! hehehe)

I'm interested to see (and experiment) with this hybrid OS and see if I can get some 'porting' going on, tool-wise... cross your fingers ;)

• 4 months later...

Well, I just wanted to jump in and let folks know I'm here. I've played KOTOR a couple of times through on my PowerMac G5, OX10.4.3. I'm saddened that KOTOR:TSL isn't available for the mac.

I've done a little modding; Ive edited a custom PC head mod, and a custom Juhani texture / model makeover. I've submitted them over at PCGAMEMODS a week ago, and am just waiting for them to be approved and posted before announcing them.

I DO have a dell laptop that I use when I am absolutely forced to use PC-only software, and I have the KOTOR tool installed. Since the game isn't on the PC, however, my options are limited. Most limiting is the lack of some sort of model editor for the Mac, at least based on what I was interested in tackling.

However, I've got the full Adobe suite on the Mac, and a decent hex editor, and that's allowed me to extensively modify other people's modded MDL files and textures. I haven't been able to extract any default models or textures to work with, mostly due to the above (the game being installed on the mac, not the PC).

I'll be interested in everyone's reactions when my mods get posted.

Welcome to the Forums cheetahfeathers! :waive1:

It's always a pleasure to meet another MAC'er :D

Will definitley check out your mods when they become available, so in the meantime, enjoy browsing the forums and feel free to "dive in" the numerous discussions going around...

If you're interested in modding.. even though limited on a MAC, be sure to visit Holowan Laboratories. ;)

Thanks. I'll post there when my mods are made available.

On earlier discussions, however, I *am* a programmer. If somebody could tell me the precise schema of the various resource files, I might be able to drum together some Mac mod editing tools... or, barring that, maybe some mod management tools (like for handling 2da files).

Archived