Home

SW: Next RTS: Military

FroZticles

Cities, bases, ketchup, catsup.

It makes no difference, giving it a different name changes nothing. Windu is right.

Even some kind of "base" building wouldn't make much sense.

In RoN it made a whole lot of sense. If the new RTS was about specific species(Naboo, Gungans, Wookiees, Sullustans, etc.) trying to colonize a planet or whatever, this would work but the goal of the Republic, Confederacy, Empire and Rebel Alliance is to wipe out the opponent.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't wheel in any ideas from BFME the game has been certified as a flop compared to expectations and from the sounds of things the plot system is not remotely Star Wars.

Darth Vader : Commander why have you not built your base where I told you to!

Commander : My lord we couldn't there isn't a plot there and we can only build on plots Lord Vader.

Darth Vader : We are the Empire we can build where we like. *Force Chokes*

I could really imagine something like that the plot system wouldn't fit in at all.

I don't see where I said I wanted the BFME plot system in that post. Also have you played BFME? Don't judge a game when you haven't played it yourself I have heard nothing but great things from the some odd 30 reviews I've read.

I would not mind if you could only build in certain areas. Like you start off with a fairly large area where you can build and you must fight creeps/enemies to gain more buildable land. Stops fools from hiding a building and making the game last forever.

Well there is a solution to this without going overboard.

1. Use the RoN 'border' system - this means you can only build in the area you currently control

2. Make it so that, once you have no units left, you are defeated. However, if you have unit-prouducing buildings left, you lose when you run out of money

That way, you cant just build anywhere on the map, and you cant hide buildings to make the game never end.

Windu all of our templates are irrelevant now when comparing it to what it will be Petroglyph being made up of former westwood employees have a different design ethos (thank god) to Lucasarts.

I think that an idea from WC3 should perhapos be adopted where if you don't build a CC in 2 minutes your revealed of course it would have to be balanced so if you have an army and economy just no CC you won't get revealed maybe.

Originally posted by Darth Windu

Well there is a solution to this without going overboard.

1. Use the RoN 'border' system - this means you can only build in the area you currently control

2. Make it so that, once you have no units left, you are defeated. However, if you have unit-prouducing buildings left, you lose when you run out of money

That way, you cant just build anywhere on the map, and you cant hide buildings to make the game never end.

1-Doesn't make any sense in the context. You don't want city building but you want borders? There are better ways. Besides, hiding a last building isn't much of a problem.

2-Like Froz said, unit roaching is way worse. Make it likes StarCraft, no building, you lose. It was so much simpler and roaching never was such a problem.

luke

1. Correct. All that should be built are military bases, but things like Borders force the player to expand their own territory by using forward bases which are quite realistic, and it also prevents stupid things like placing defensive turrets in the enemy base.

2. True, that is a better idea.

Viceroy - if you have nothing helpful or constructive to say, do not say anything at all. I can use whatever example i like, and i can refer to my template regardless of wether you think it is relevant or not.

Windu I take it you were somewhat inebriated when you typed that response ;) it shows:D

I don't really see a borders system work because it seems to promote slowness while quite a lot of the battles have shown fast movement .

There's nothing really wrong with the current system we had in GB just because you don't play it Windu doesn't mean it isn't a good RTS it just could have been better that's all.

The Plot system really doesn't fit because the Rebels would look for the most hidden location. So plots wouldnt work for them snce From what I've heard of the plot system there are fixed plost map wide and none of them are random.

The Empire would build where it wants and not be restricted by plots so that would limit realism.

While Gameplay>Realism there's no point adding in a feature if it does nothing for realism or gameplay.

Well Viceroy you cannot comment on the plot system not supporting gameplay cause you have never played it. The old/over used system where you build anywhere is more unrealistic than borders and plots. I don't remember any wars being won by hiding behind forts and having cannon wars until the forts and shields are down and the victor destroys all the other guys forward bases and his starting eco base. Yes swgb is a great RTS but the system has been used time and time again. I bet you have 1000 of the most hardcore RTS players preying that they use the aoe system so they don't have to go back to the drawing board they would rather be an inter as soon as they install the game.

Well the Rebels have to give up the fact they have a hidden base because the enemy knows they are there. Thats the whole point dog eat dog. Aren't most games all preplaced positions even in SWGB I still have a good idea where my enemy is. They have map generators yes but some of the most successful RTS don't have that but still carry thousands of players SWGB can't even hold more than 200 these days. (Still a great game though and I love it).

Archived