Home

DVD compatibility problems?

CapNColostomy

I picked up Spiderman 2 the other day. I get it home, unwrap it. And put it in my DVD player. Now my DVD player isn't "top of the line" or anything, but it's is a Sony, and not a generic off brand. And it's less than a year old. It came with my home theater setup.

Anyways, I put the movie in, and my DVD player locks up. I have to power it off and press eject to get the damned disc out. This went on for a few minutes, and then the movie finally started. Sometimes it says cannot read disc, but it's not got a scratch or smudge anywhere on it. This ONLY HAPPENS WITH SPIDERMAN 2. The hell is the deal? Anybody else ever experience anything like that?

Originally posted by ET Warrior

Once I had an Xbox that would play any game but Halo. didn't matter if it was my old copy of it, or a new copy, or somebody elses copy, it wouldn't play Halo, but it played every other game.........

Sometimes the spirits of media devices hate certain things I guess XD

Now that is weird.

@ Jon_hill987, I don't know why it didn't occur to me to check it on my pc. Forgive my retardedness. I just put it in my pc, and it started right up.

My parents rented Finding Nemo a few months ago because they hadn't seen it yet. Everything was going fine until about the scene where

Dory's talking to the big school of fish that imitates other objects

when suddenly the DVD freezes for a second, then skips forward about five minutes. We took it back, thinking it was defective, and rented another copy.

We started it where approximately the glitch took place. This time it played the scene no problem, but after about the same amount of time that the first glitch happened, it happened again! We decided to just keep watching, but the damn thing nearly ruined the experience for my parents.

So far Finding Nemo is the only DVD that's ever done that, but I hope this isn't something that has to do with movies from Pixar. I swear, if it happens when my parents watch The Incredibles, I'll be fit to be tied.

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Renting it, is your problem there :p.

Yeah, you're probably right. There was a scratch on the first DVD, but none on the second. Still, I wouldn't be suprised if the second one screwed up on account of someone else handling it incorrectly .

I remember the good 'ol VHS days when people never bothered to rewind the tape and the occasional bad tape due to someone's bratty kid's destructive impulses. Heck, there are probably some people who have tried to listen to the movie's soundtrack on the DVD by putting it on their record player. :xp:

The world of DVD is still very much a wild and untamed frontier. Unlike CDs, which were standarized from long before the very first one rolled off the line, there is still a remakable difference between types of DVD encodings, as well as decks, even consumer playback-only models. Things only get worse with recordable formats. And don't get me started with the whole "Region" thing... that's just so idiotic it defies comprehension.

It's really going to snowball out of control when High-Def DVD players and disks start to be introduced next year. Right now there are 2 competing formats on the horizon: Blu-Ray DVD (developed and backed by Sony, and which, at least spec-wise, is the clearly superior format) and HD-DVD (which appears to be the one that all the major movie studios seem to be behind, despite the fact that it holds less than half what the Blu-Ray disks hold, and with less bandwidth output.) It promises to be another VHS vs. BETA showdown (and the studios got behind the inferior format back then if you remember correctly...)

I'm not sure why the movie studios keep backing formats that are inferior, except to think that it's to keep us all upgrading our video collections to a new and improved format every couple of years (and just how many of us have recently moved to replace our old worn out VHS copies of a certain sci-fi trilogy with DVD copies? :rolleyes: )

Anyway: Different DVD players, even brand new ones, handle things like layer transitions and high-bandwidth scenes (usually lots of fast moving action with complicated sound mixes) differently, which is why you may find that a disk that plays just fine in one player is unreadable in another. Seems stupid, but it's true.

They might actually get it right one of these days.

There was a big fuss in the uk when a lot of people with early dvd players couldn't play the gladiator dvd, as it used clever trickery that just cnfused the older players... i suspect they have done something similar with spidey 2.

In that respect DVDs are almost closer to computer games than videos, as they are all programmed slightly differently and this can cause the odd compatibility problem.

My advice: return it, and use the money to buy the incredibles... :D

Archived