Home

Got the game? Post your first impressions here!

Darth333

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just beat the PC version and my -final- impression? Poor. Most people who are giving it the highest ratings are those who've only played it for a few hours, which I have to admit, are good. But everything just becomes bland afterwards, especially the characters. While the odd relationship between the Exile and Keria is rather well developed, the rest of the party members didn't seem nearly as well done. The voice-acting was also somewhat hazy. Everyone bitched about how they hated Carth's whining, or Mission's teenager-ness, but you -remember- them. I can't remember for the life of me what Atton sounds like, and I turned off the game about ten minutes ago. Everyone just seems to have that monotone way about them.

Also, the rather haphazard way for which they are put forward. When I was playing LS in the original, I cared whether or not Bastilla was saved or not. Or whether I could corrupt her as DS. In TSL, I didn't know, or give a damn about most of my characters. Visas and Keria aside.

By the way, running on a Radeon 9600xt with a 2.something Ghz AMD processor, I suffered -terrible- lag issues, not to mention forced to roll back my drivers just so the game would run in the first place. And with the graphics so low that I wasn't stuttering everywhere, I could not really get a feel for anything eyecandy wise.

My final opinion? I wish a lot of the functions in TSL were implimented into the storyline and dialogue of the original. Being able to influence my characters would be awesome. I want an evil Carth dammit and have the much improved workbench.

I have played for two days now (maybe 14-15 hours all in all). I'm a slow player, so I haven't goten that far, however I have finished Dantoinee as well as Telos and Peruga (or whatever it was called).

My first impression was that it was A LOT like kotor, which is not a bad thing. That is what I wanted when I bought it. However the new features soon appeaseb my need for something new as well. I actually use blasters now, since I can change it when the enemies close (which almost all do) without having to go into the equipment-menu and look through my looooooooong list of weapons to locate the one I want to use.

That you can, in an emergency, create your own computerspikes and parts was also nice, plus that once you got into a computer you genereally could use it, without having to hack it wqith spikes for EVERY action.

The story is very good. I have no problem with any of the characters, or their voices (which people seem to dislike... well, I don't). Sometimes there are a bit too long conversations, but I can live with that. Better than no conversation at all...

The glitches bug the hell out of me, but generally they can be amended by turning the game off and the on again. The story-glitches I haven't encountered yet.

My computer is pretty good, but when there is smoke or gas around it lags so bad it sometimes becomes unplayable (imagine my anguish in the gasfilled room in the dormatory!).

Also there are some problem in the big citys. But I can live with that.

Love the new robes btw. I vehemently hated the robes (except revans robe) in kotor. they looked silly. Now I feel more jedi-ish.

First impressions?

Just got the game yesterday, and there are a few points I'd like to make:

1. I hate the new inventory system; I got so completely lost when trying to equip my first weapon. The system in KOTOR1 was practically idiot proof; in the new game, there's like 3 boxes for each hand...a little annoying, but once I figure it out, I'll probably like it more.

2. Thank God the fighting animations changed!

3. I like the dependence on the other team members, especially in the very beginning. It's a little disconcerting at first, but I feel like the team members are team members, not just hangers on that I can call on when I need a door opened or whatever.

4. Kreia and Atton keep getting on my nerves, and I'm only 2 hrs. into the game!! Argghh!! Kreia's

constant talking in my head is making me batty!!!!!

5. I like the idea of using your skills in different facets of the game...

like when you are trying to fix the Pergarus computer just after you get Atton. There's a whole new dialogue option if you are putting points into repair that is a nice touch.

More later

:x-wing:

First impressions? Well right away I was thinking they had made some great improvements, all of which people have already mentioned. I've played about 16 hours so far.

But after the 'new game glow' wore off, I felt like the game was tedious! I can't believe it...I loved Kotor 1 and thought I'd love this one too. I don't.

I think they tried to make the game feel 'bigger' so they dragged out most of the missions to be huge and it actually just feels like I'm running all the damn time....Boring!!

I don't expect things to be handed to me or have the objective right next door but my god, do I have to run back and fourth between 2,3,4 areas over and over? I left one planet just to try something different, I was so sick of running up and down the same city street.

The conversation cut scenes are screwed up. I'm talking to the back of people's heads about half the time. Or if they just finished fighting or doing somthing, I could be talking to the top right corner of their head and not their face.

Over all they did make some great new improvements but it wasn't finished.

Conclusion...Obsidian is not BioWare.

well, considering the amount of time they spent developing the game, i think they managed to pull it off quite nicely. the environments could use some more graphical detail, and to be frank, the graphics just aren't very impressive.

the gameplay has gotten a bit more complex with some new feats and stuff, but there's nothing overwhelming about it. the only thing i wish is that there would be some consistancy with the difficulty. some area's are filled with baddies that are so difficult, i had to restart several times. then, in other areas that are supposed to be extraordinarily difficult are overwhelmingly easy. i just don't get it....

the sound is impressive, and it has a nice musical score, but sometimes, the music can just suddenly become loud and out of place.

the best part (so far) is the way the storytelling is. its nice to discover things that are happening to your character, but it makes for a more cinematic feel when you see something happening that your pc has no clue about. i just happen to like that better.

overall, i think kotor 1 had a bit more polish around the edges, but TSL is still one of the best rpg's i've ever played. :D

I was in the tomb on Korriban, and had just met with Kreia, when this happens:

https://www.sharemation.com/larindom/ERROR.JPG

All of my friends arrived, and while I had conversation with Kreia, they started killing the animals I had dragged to her (I didn't kill them - just replayed it for kicks)... And they did that while talking to me and Kreia!!! Major fun!! Like some kind of I-can't-get-enough-of-that-wonderful-killing-and-I-can-have-a-serious-conversation-meanwhile-maniacs!! Actually, they gained xp for it... CALL IT MULTITASKING!!

They're in the background fighting animals if you haven't noticed... And then look at my first choice of reply: "What they are doing is wrong. I will stand with you, Kreia."

LOL!!!!!!!!

But hey, I really like the game... It crashed several times for me, because I have an ATI Mobility graphics card, that it couldn't really work with... and, the worst crash in my life happened today, just after

I had killed Scarface at the end of the game: He is about to start talking to me and allow me to go to Kreia, but my last action (kill) got a grip of him while we were out of combat!!!!! It resulted in him standing there, nodding towards me when I tried to talk to him, and I couldn't get out of the room. I was stucked with a scarred mother****er who couldn't speak!!!! He just turned to me, nodded and held his arm like it really really hurt. So, I had to load a game four hours earlier, because I hadn't saved besides quicksaves, and I saved just after I thought I killed him (which I hadn't!!)... That pissed me off, and I was so close to dropping it all, but then, hey, I've played all weekend, now I just have to do two hours repeating... :p... But I managed it... But why is Malachor such a dull place?? And why did I have to fight that Wookie again?? I never used the damn girl!!

But right, I've finished the game now, and whoa, real life smells good... It is a great game, and the moral issues are much more complicated than in the prequal... The lightside responses are more masked and that is very cool. Still, the tomb on Korriban makes it almost impossible to stay good. The graphics could be a whole lot better too... unfortunately, I just finished it... right before the patch came out... :p

But hey, I looove the music!! ;) And it is cool that you achieve forcepowers from the beginning!! And the incredible big number of missions... and friends (don't really know about them - got a dumb historian on Dantooine, whom I couldn't use for anything because it was the last planet on my list, but hey, my ship got filled pretty much to the last square...)

So - cool game, but glad to be out of it. It totally deprived me of my freedom for 5 days!!

Yours Sincerely

After having replayed KOTOR II several times, I think it's not so, so so bad, as I thought before, It's darker, more interesting in som parts, and the new options are fantastic (conversations, pazzak, item creation, combat, weapons)

The only issue I have with KOTOR II, is that it is a lot, lot shorter than the first one.

Truly.

I were expecting more on terms of graphics and sound, but since the game is running without any serious bugs (only the occasional crash after 2 hours of play and the swoop race bug), I have to say that it's an enjoyable experience.

The best thing about this game? THE STORY! :deathstar

Note: Sorry for my horrible english:)

Well, mayb e the first time, I did, i finished it as LS, in 25-26 hours; the second time, as DS female, i spent 36 hours, ten more than the first time, I made Atton a Sith, and went TOTALLY to darkside, i finished nearly all the sidequests (except for Batu-Rem, who never showed up, and the Vogga's Treasure, because I danced before time...)

And I never totally skipped a dialog, except for the Wookie and Twi'lek speeches.... I gained complete influence over Atton, Kreia, Visas, Hanharr, T3-M4, I think....

....Maybe I skipped a planet or sth.... Korriban SIth Academy ISN'T open on both sides, is it????????

The fisrt one, by "runnig trough it" I couldn't finish it before 45 hours, and that were by completing ALL sidequests, and swoop-races.... and tournaments...

And: YES, I always used Force Speed, from the first levels.

ok 1st impressions

well my 1st impressions when i fist started playing was this game is excelent

but i have completed it now and as much as i intend to replay it there were a few problems so i gonna give u some of my pro's and cons

pros

almost everything is upgradable and everything is breakdownable to make something else

you get side missions by talking to other people on the planets you visit not by just talking lots to the npc of your group

the capacity of level ups for you character is much better

the story is compelling

cons

the sith lords were way too easy to beat

the 'plot twist' was spoon fed to you from the beginning so that when it came it was no surprise mind you at one point i was half expecting kriea to say to the handmaiden "No I am your Mother" and "together we can rule the galaxy as Mother and Daughter" but it didn't happen shame

the game kept crashing every couple of hours but lucas arts are already working on a patch to solve the bugs as we speak

getting to do extra side missions by talking to people outside your group was good but i kinda missed being able to do side missions by talking and getting to know your group members

i did enjoy having to hunt for bits for my lightsaber at first but in the end it did take way too long it was a good idea but obsidian dragged it on too long, abit like haveing to fix hk was good but then it took to long

feats there weren't enough yes they added more but for the amount of level ups your character had i was running out of feats and powers to give my character

overall

i did enjoy the game but as it has previously said it felt more like an expansion pack than another game keeping many aspects the same was good and i am not argueing with that decision but the game does feel as if there was more that could have been done

i'll give it a 7/10 where as kotor 1 would get 12/10 from me lol

I've had the game two weeks, only just now saw the thread.

Peragus was good. I saw a lot of potential in the little things; improved cutscene animations, etc. Telos showed more of this, as well as some interesting plot twists (HK-50's). I had no real complaints with the planets; they weren't great, but they were OK. I liked most of them better than Manaan in KOTOR.

Everything wne downhill after going to the rebuilt Jedi Enclave. For starters, I think it would have been cooler to have the Jedi meet on Coruscant; it was the old center of the Jedi Council, as I understand. It would have been cooler than just reusing Dantooine again. I mean, they took the old maps and made some changes. Show me some innovation; "thorw me a fricking bone here." Then, we Kreai turned on me, I was all, "WTF?"

From there out, the plot made little sense. I absorbed and understood what was happeneing, but not why or how. KOTOR made snese. TSL didn't - not the first time through. All the bosses sucked. Malachor was all choppy and thrown together. I mean - what was the point of the Mira/Hanharr fight? What was the point of the remote scene? Why isn't there an ending cutscene that makes sense?

How come I spendthe whole game having fun making people Jedi and working w/ my party, and then they stuck me on my own at the end? /shakehead

I'll give it an 8/10 overall. I give the first part 9.5/10. I give the ending a 4/10.

And yes, it was way too easy.

And why do all the reviews say it takes 40 hours? I beat it in 20 hours the first time, no cheats. I looked up a walkthrough a couple times when I was stuck.

Easy on the spoilers, people!!

Anyway, I am around level 12 now and am starting to make my mark on the galaxy...

Some more thoughts-

1. Atton's kind of growing on me. He doesn't seem to be as big of a jerk as I thought he would be.

2. I think there is some major plot foreshadowing coming up, especially with...

Kreia. She's always trying to get me to be Dark Side [i'm at something like 90% LS], and I get the feeling that I'm being used to further her own agenda. I mean, I know she's neutral [like Jolee in KOTOR1], but she's definetly the darker side of neutral with some of the stuff that's come out of her mouth.

3. The voiceacting is definetly not as good as KOTOR1. I wish some characters would just shut up sometimes, even if what they are saying is interesting. Is there an option for turning off voiceovers?

4. I do like the new inventory system...I just had to get used to it, that's all.

5. While there's been some griping about 'running back and forth', and what a general pain it is, I kind of like it. It makes me feel more involved in the world and everything that's happening, rather than Bob tells you to see Joe, who has problems of his own that have to be resolved before he can help you with Earl, et cetera et cetera...

I do like the way that when a quest is finished, you automatically teleport back to the person who need to see. That's a nice improvement from KOTOR.

6. I love the better options that we get. In KOTOR, it seems like there were two options for each quest. One was DS, one was LS. In this game, there are 3 or 4 possible endings. I especially liked the quest:

on Citadel station, with the guy who gambled away his girl. I 'saved' the girl for him, but then after getting her back to the guy, when she pitched a fit about going back, I told her she was free to go...and she walked out on him. That was GREAT! So like what might have happened in real life!!

Finally, They'd better make a dent on these graphics problems. There is no excuse for my ATi 9600 with 256 MB RAM to have to run TSL on 'low' settings with everything turned off. That is simply unacceptable - and I'm using the Omega 4.11 drivers too! GRRR!!!!

more to come when I get off...

Telos and Dantooine [my next stop :)

:x-wing:

Well, the game dropped in price by $10 for a week so I bought it. This coincided with a meltdown of my old computer, So I built a brand new computer to HL2 specifications (a 2.8 ghz athlon 64, a gig of ram, 1.2TB HD space, radeon 9600xt, brand new windows xp pro install). With such a system I thought that I could play KOTOR II without any issues.

I was wrong.

Start game, play for 30 minutes, crash. Sometimes all the walls would go away leaving my party walking in blackness, except for the doors and other "objects" and people in game (this actually made the harbinger look really freaky at one point, but moving on). After having this bug for a good 8 hours of gameplay, I became certain that the US government passed a law restricting the amount of time people could play computer games in the interests of their health. Thankfully I found out the problem was I downloaded microsoft's ATI driver rather than the one from ATIs website. Quick fix, on with the game. From what I have played, It is all awesome. Then I got to Dantooine. My computer dropped to 1 fps. Unplayable. :( Hopefully fixed in the upcoming patch.

In many ways, this game (and the original) reminds me of deux ex. great story, nice array of equipment to build and choose from, an awesome skill system, and item modifications (I love item modifications). It also shares the same amount of bugs that Deus Ex had though :( With dialog, sound fixes, and optimization for ATI cards, this will be a game that I will play again and again (or not, depending on the ending.)

I thought it was a great game from the beginning, just like its predecessor, but as I played on, I think the storyline wasn't as provocative as the first. I'm not saying it's bad, but it just isn't as good in my opinion, and that's just by a tiny bit. The new features make the gameplay so much better, but besides that, it is truly a worthy sequel.

Originally posted by boinga1

And why do all the reviews say it takes 40 hours? I beat it in 20 hours the first time, no cheats. I looked up a walkthrough a couple times when I was stuck.

Finally, other guy who ended it on 20 hours, I ended it too on XBOX on 25 hours, the second time ALL SIDEQUESTS COMPLETE 35 hours.

But really I felt like you Boinga, the first time, next time try to gain EVERYONE'S influnce and make them Jedi/Sith, it's worth the efoort, really.

But I repeat, an extra planet or 15 extra sidequests could'nt possibly make any harm...

Oh, for a five year dev cycle and pc only! Imagine the greatness.

But then, There would be so many people glued to their computers for 100+ hours... That could not be good for the human race. I borrowed an nvidia card to finish the game. I say it is a worthy sequel, but I still have a giant modding wishlist of things that they should have done, one large enough where I'm probably going to get sucked into hollowan never to be seen again...

Archived