Home

[PC] What Can We Do? SDK Now!

Hexerei

I have been actively emailing Lucas Arts requesting that a SDK be released for this game. I know many of you would use your wits to tell me how useless this is. But it is useless to tell me that. The point of this thread is to STRESS the importance of player feedback to the developers. Maybe they will eventually hear the voice that supports their commercial empire and do something simple. It is so evident that the life span of a game relies on customization. So if you truly enjoy this game put forth the effort to keep it going, who wants to play the endor map for another year. Let me make my own.

So Speak To The Developers. It Doesnt Matter If It Is The Same

E-mail, Just Send It Every Day. Have Your Mother Send One Also!

They do hear the voice that supports their commercial empire. That voice puts money in their pocket when the customer buy the game. And it isn't really in their best interest to extend the life of the game. Then you would have no reason to by the next game they want to sell you.

Why then, did Valve release their source if they knew that people were gonna mod and not buy the next game? They know that the community is what keeps the popularity of the game going and puts out gems like counter strike.

No i think it's safe to say that the devs at Pandemic are actually working on mod tools, not an SDK per se, but they are smart enough to know that the community will not survive without tools and that they are not willing to shell out 50 bucks for an expansion so soon. Plus the fact that we know the game is essentially incomplete in terms of vehicles, characters, etc. I know i'm not gonna pay another 50 bucks unless they use a totally revamped engine and give us the whole enchilada at launch and not need periodic patches to fix net code and and a frame cap.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

Why then, did Valve release their source if they knew that people were gonna mod and not buy the next game? They know that the community is what keeps the popularity of the game going and puts out gems like counter strike.

But how many games does Valve put out? It is a lot less than Lucasarts. They are not competing with themselves as much when it comes to their own games. I suspect they make their real money by licensing their engines.

How many Lucasarts games come out in a year? Battlefront just came out. Republic Commando is coming out a few months after. Both have an MP componant, so why would Lucasarts try to extend the life of Battlefront when they are going to want those same people to buy and play Commando? Yes, many will get both, but why would they want to limit themselves by building up Battlefront so that less people will buy Commando?

KOTOR 2 is out, soon the Episode 3 game will be out. Indeed they are different genres, but they all compete for the Star Wars fan's playing time.

I'm just saying I don't think people should expect all this new content from Lucasarts.

If they release the SDK or some modding tools, they community will be able to sustain itself, if the developers won't. Of course, this will only work for a limited amount of time, but I think it's the best way for pandemic when they stop supporting SW:BF.

italegion, thanks for the link to pandemic. i am glad to see that some people understand what i am trying to do. instead of those who give up b4 they try with what ever justification they try to present. Yes prime i understand all the things that you say that is why i said "commercial empire" every thing you say is a definition of what that is. and so my point being is that by the request of what the gaming commmunity wants from its games

i dont just want to play my game i want to mod them. someone needs to tell them this. by the way could you post a list of games not made by valve or steam that used the first half-life engine, i seem to be comming up short.

Guys,

Pandemic is the completely wrong adress.

Only LA can announce and release an SDK.

Pandemic could have 20 tools if LA won´t release it for some reasons Pandemic could do nothing.

If LA want to release a SDK they simple need to contact Pandemic to put one together.

So it´s all up to LA if we get a SDK or not!

Rends

I say why not contact both, then when one communicates with the other they will both be familar with the request.

This shouldnt be so much of a discussion on why they should or why they wont. the time you spend telling me they wont do it for a thousand reasons is time you could use to send a simple email asking if they will. and hey if they dont then you are right just pat yourself on the back.

I agree with my clanmate, Lucas, Pandemic, whoever is in charge up there, we want SDK, we want RCON control for remote servers. These are simple things that all games have that are any good and have remained popular over the test of time. Even your own products, the Jedi Knight series have all that...why not this one? Do you want it to fail that badly or are you just proving that the money is all that matters? Maybe Pandemic wasn't a good choice, maybe Lucas has finally succombed to corporate whoredom and the cash cow he has created. I for one, hope not. The policy where this game is concerned however is starting to look like not even George knows whats being done with his universe.

Ok,

since LA announced some tools for us modding crowd let´s change the target.

Now we should contact Softimage so they release a free version of XSI that works with the Pandemic plugin!

Softimage did already release a free version for the HL² modding crowd so they could do the same for us!

Softimage

Rends

Originally posted by Hexerei

italegion, thanks for the link to pandemic. i am glad to see that some people understand what i am trying to do. instead of those who give up b4 they try with what ever justification they try to present.

I applaud your for attempting to change things.

Yes prime i understand all the things that you say that is why i said "commercial empire" every thing you say is a definition of what that is. and so my point being is that by the request of what the gaming commmunity wants from its games

i dont just want to play my game i want to mod them. someone needs to tell them this.

But they aready know this.

by the way could you post a list of games not made by valve or steam that used the first half-life engine, i seem to be comming up short.

I can't seem to find many either. I thought there were more. I stand corrected.

In any event, it looks like you will get your wish...

(even if this is a crossposting)

Guys i need your support !

the Pandemic plugin requires the 500$ Version XSI4.2

Well Softimage released a free Version 3 and a special free version for Halflife 2.

So i posted at the softimage board if they plan to release a free special version for Battlefront too.

I think the more reply to my posting the better.

http://forum.softimage.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2864

Rends

Durden is more likely right. The update did not mention an SDK. It mentions tools. An SDK addresses the core of the game engine which allows programmers to produce completely original mods or game types. That being said, that's allot more than I was expecting.

richcz3

Hey, maps and working within the parameters of this game is a great start. Even maps and skins would be enough. What I'd like is remote control of the server I rent. Nothing worse than an uncontroolable player or someone who spoils the game for others and no way to boot his a$$ out. But this is a fantastic start...when we see it....hopefully soon. I already found the game for a reduced price in a local EB simply because it is being returned in big numbers.

Sad...better hurry Dev Team.

Archived