Home

Duke Nukem Forever...forever?

StormHammer

I suppose It will be a good thing they are taking their time.

I would rather have a game where they take their time and make a good game that works well and have lots of good features that work, than have them rush it out to the shelves as fast as they can and it turn out the game leaves a lot to be desired, game crashes every 2 seconds... ..Blah blah blah...

take wolfenstien for example, the first wolfenstien game was the first FPS game ever and "return to castle wolfenstien" only recently came out.

Take your time guys. we want a good product when we get it.

Originally posted by kipperthefrog

I suppose It will be a good thing they are taking their time.

take wolfenstien for example, the first wolfenstien game was the first FPS game ever and "return to castle wolfenstien" only recently came out.

Doom 3 took nearly as much time and a lot of people (including me) thought that apart from the graphics there was nothing special about the game, it was uninsired and the level design was dark and reppetetive. I think the Origonal level design was better, for its time at least.

and it won't be a good thing if duke nukem looks out of date before they even finish it.

Originally posted by jon_hill987

Doom 3 took nearly as much time and a lot of people (including me) thought that apart from the graphics there was nothing special about the game, it was uninsired and the level design was dark and reppetetive. I think the Origonal level design was better, for its time at least.

and it won't be a good thing if duke nukem looks out of date before they even finish it.

I read they will up the graphics. the website said the screenshots have been removed becuase they no longer look like the new version of the game.

Originally posted by weiderudare

Return to Castle Wolfenstein got out 2 years ago I belive..not really recently..

But Duke Nukem Forever? It will come out at the same time as NHL 2069

RTCW is copyrighted 2001. I can't remember the actual release date, but that sounds about right. Of course, the difference is that RTCW was only in production for a couple of years, and made on a modified Quake 3A engine.

DNF has been in production for something like 8 years, and they switched to the Unreal engine. I think the problem is that they've been watching all the other game released over the years, and realised their graphics etc., weren't up to par - so they've been trying to play catch-up with the features and quality of other titles.

I remember the video trailer that they showed at E3, and at the time it looked fine to me. They should have finished the game as it was, released it and then moved on to make another.

The longer it's in development, the greater the expectations about what it's going to deliver. I don't think the game is ever going to live up to what people expect, so it will probably get pummeled by the gaming media at least when (if) it's released.

I wonder what their reaction was to HL2 - "OMG, our animation sucks - we'd better revamp it" comes to mind. Maybe they'll switch to using the Source engine, and reinvent the wheel again.

Anyway - I thought that animation was funny, which is why I shared it. I didn't intend to start a debate about DNF. But whatever floats your boat. :D

The E3 Demo DVD (the famous video trailer that came out a few years back which also had a Max Payne preview video on it) made it look like the game was really and truly finally come out in 2001. Of course, it didn't happen...

That video reminded me a lot of Deus Ex and Half Life (1) in terms of "wow look at all the interactive stuff" and the aliens, and overall atmosphere. But it also looked like it could have been fun with a lot of different scenarios and environments.

I can't remember when they started on this game. Was it really '96? Something like that... in any case they've had plenty of time to do a great game. Sounds like they're firmly locked in development hell changing engines far too often, etc.

If it comes out next year will it end up being good or bad? Who can say. Some games that were long delayed were worth the wait, others not. But I won't hold my breath for this one.

Archived