Home

News: Girl 10 cuffed for bringing scissors to school

kipperthefrog

That is absolutely ridiculous, and everyone involved in that poor girl going to jail should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. They HANDCUFFED a 4th grader and took her to jail for having SCISSORS for chrissakes.

If they intend to ban scissors as they are potential weapons they better ban pens and pencils, because those are just as easy to stab somebody with.

Freakin people these days.

Originally posted by kipperthefrog

pencils could be used as a stabing weopon too, a BIBLE could be used as a weopon if you bash'em hard enough into the skulls of your fellow human beings.

both instances I would know about personally. *rubs head and hand*

*sighs*

anyway. This zero tolerance stuff is majoratively BS.

I remember one story about some straight A student being expelled to one of those "secondary schools" (read: dead f**king end) because a plastic butterknife had been left in the bed of his pickup truck after he helped his grandmother move. This zero tolerance stuff is bull. I carry a swiss army knife just about everywhere I go, and they aren't going to stop me from carrying it at school. Fortunately for me, I'm part of my school's tech crew, so I'm allowed (not technically, but the pricipal allows it) to carry mine around.

That is absolutely ridiculous and cruel. She 's ten years old, for God's sake! So she had some scissors in her pack. So what if she forgot the rules. Had she threatened anyone? NO! Had she hurt anyone? NO! I would understand a polite reminder that scissors are not allowed (which is a stupid rule, anyway), but cuffing her, and suspending her. Absolutely uncalled for. I despise for kids, or anyone for that matter, to be treated wrong, and this just really pi$$es me off. :mad:

Sorry for the rant. :o

Hang on, don't most schools have only safty scissors anyway? you can't cut with them let alone stab someone! pencils and compasses on the other hand can do someone a nasty injury. With two pencils and an elastic band... well I'll let you work that out. and as for the handcuffing? why? handcuffs are used to restrain (not just for fun) I hardly see that they needed to use handcuffs to restrain a 10 yr old girl, were they scared she would do a runner or what?

Has the world gone mad? no, don't answer that i won't like the reply.

Things like this make me glad I'm sheltered from the stupidity of society. :D

Perhaps they were just covering their backs to escape blame from above if something did turn bad. It's really the people on top in charge of the rules that are responsible - they overreact because school violence is such a touchy subject with the parents. Foolish, but that's the way people are. :p

Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

Things like this make me glad I'm sheltered from the stupidity of society. :D

Perhaps they were just covering their backs to escape blame from above if something did turn bad. It's really the people on top in charge of the rules that are responsible - they overreact because school violence is such a touchy subject with the parents. Foolish, but that's the way people are. :p

I agree. It's things like this that make me so thankful to have been homeschooled. I've never had to deal with so much of the stuff that folks put up with in public school. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know guys, she did have scissors, and they could kill someone..........:dozey:

There is something seriously wrong with the school system when something as simple as bringing scissors to school, can get you put in jail. And if the police officers had ANY common sense they wouldn't have arrested her in the first place. What were they thinking? Oh, wait, they weren't.

Personaly ever since Colubine, school rules have been way too strict

Yeah, i'm from colorado, and i hear about it all the time. My school, which is a little town northeast of denver, even put in cameras all over the school. In the first place they weren't even working for the first year and second where in the world did they get the money? Oh well, thats just the direction this country's going......acting before thinking.

Unless they have several police officers with loaded handguns patrolling the halls, their safety measures mean NOTHING in those schools.

If a kid wants to come in and shoot up the school, they're not going to try and sneak a shotgun in under their coat and go through half of the day before they whip it out and go nuts.

Mostly it's just an attempt at an illusion of safety. If we add a lot of "security" measures then people will feel safe. It's not actually DOING anything, but we THINK it's doing something.

My high school has officers with guns.. but I don't think they're loaded...

:o

I never really had to put up with this kind of stupid crap as a public school kid... cos kids did actually bring guns into school...

creepy now that I think back on it. But it was funny at the time...

:D

Originally posted by ET Warrior

If a kid wants to come in and shoot up the school, they're not going to try and sneak a shotgun in under their coat and go through half of the day before they whip it out and go nuts.

Actually, yes they would, at least according to things I've read on situations like this...

As for the article: Holy ****. 10-year old handcuffed, arrested and suspended from school for bringing scissors to school? The teachers called the POLICE?! For THAT?! O_O

I dont know how long most kids would hang onto their gun before using it, but one thing is for sure: if a kid wants to come in and shoot up the school, they're not going to try and sneak a pair of scissors in under their coat and go through half of the day before they whip it out and go nuts.

Archived