Home

News from Softimage

Rends

Softimage juts replied to my mail requesting a XSI Version for Battlefront!.

"We're currently working with a number of partners on support for XSI for various game platforms. Please keep an eye on softimage.com for upcoming announcements.

Regards,

Softimage"

so there is something coming from Softimage. Great, aeh but what....

A free version supporting a couple of games? A low cost XSI version?

I just wonder...

Originally posted by Rubentronics

why have we been forgotten?

The conclusion is that almost everyone has been forgotten. The players with a good pc (why MAXIMUM requirements?), server admins...

If they want to support modding they should do it good from the first time and not just support one format.

I guess the answer is simple. Pandemic created the models with XSI. They build a plugin for own use and releasing it for us is the easiest and fastest why they can do.

IF they would devellop different file format import plugins for the Mapeditor then the tool release would delay perhaps for some more months.

But you can build your models in Maja,3ds or whatever editing software. Export the stuff in wavefront .obj format and import it into the free XSI EXP or the version Softimage will release for us. Then you will be able to export it with the pandemic plugin into the needed .msh format.

Oh and XSI looks much easier to use than 3ds (dunno about Maya).

Rends

Lightwave is quite good for lowpoly models as its used in alot of flightsim creation, XSI is very much used for high poly modeling it was the tool of choice for all the CG in Ep2. I can't say lightwave would be better than XSI for low poly stuff, or even better than XSI or even 3dsmax.

Currently the newer versions of max (5 and up) have been giving softimage a run for its money. When XSI came out it was considered the holy grail of 3d programs. This was because all the external plugins you'd have to pay for in order to use with 3dsmax came packaged with XSI. There was no need to download a plugin or to use another program. I learned XSI and Max cause at the time Max was the industry standard and XSI was slowly becoming recognized as a major competitor in the 3d market. I've never used lightwave myself. I have a friend who uses it and he thinks its an "ok" program. Not the best but certainly not the worst(anyone ever hear of blender3d? blah.)

Its going to be completly up to someones personal prefrence when it comes to which 3d program they use to make models for this game. As long as it has support for an XSI export/inport plugin then you'll see no end to great models(high or low poly) Look at the great work people were doing with JA and the majority of the 3d in that game if i'm not mistaken was done in XSI.

The which 3d program is better debate is like the evolution/creation debate it will go on forever. Its all personal prefrence and I for one would love to see XSI release a battlefront ready version of their program for people to use. Some people don't have the luxury or access to a program like this and that can hurt the mod community. I can't wait to see some of the stuff people create for this game.

Well my point is that LW has the tools for low poly modeling ready to go and its widely used student, pro and "other" levels and its fast and easy to learn for others out there. Yes I am bias but I have worked in 3DS professionally before and it was a joke compared to what I was able to do in LW in 1/5th the time. So I am hoping some one either at NewTek (those crazy kats down there in Texas know their ****ake) who might be interested in doing a quick and dirty mod program for importing and exporting the models into and out of lightwave from BF.

I am playing with the BViewer now and I am finally able to get it to open game levels, maps, character textures etc etc. Anyone been able to find out how to take models themselves OUT of BF and edit them and save them back out? Polytrans is pretty good at loading just about anything, and if this system is based around OBJ formats from the original AW stuff from years ago with XSI twists, then Lightwavers should be right at home as that was one of the original formats it could open and save directly without mangling the models. 3DSMax is BRUTAL for upping poly counts because of its triangle divisions (and rather unwarrranted) so I am hoping for something that does something generic and saves OBJfiles and from there I think anything that can save OBJ back out and go, we should be good.

XSI will do lowpoly just as easy as any other program.

Its not about a program being setup to do lowpoly stuff. Every 3d program can do lowpoly stuff. The quality of whats created in the program depends on the user. An experienced user can make a lowpoly model with ease. Even a novice user could make a lowpoly model with ease.

I'm biased towards XSI cause its what I use on a daily basis. My only argument against it is this. Using polybump I can take a highpoly model and have it exported into a game as a lowpoly model and still have the lowpoly model look like the highpoly model.

Like I said. It doesn't matter what program you use. You can't argue that one program is better than the other. Its all in the user.

perhaps but LW is not going to create unwarranted amounts of triangles to create "box" like max. XSI is actually designed around the lessons learned from Lightwave 3D. Not a lot of people know that but they are actually very similar in their tool workflow. Thus I am hoping people who work in XSI and Lightwave can get along nicely and produce some great mods via maps and models for inclusion into new game scenarios.

• 2 years later...

I added the Star Wars BattleFront .msh loader module to the 3D Object Converter and I uploaded the latest developer package (non beta) to my web page.

You can download it using the following link:

http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/3dc32390x_dev_20070217.zip

I converted any original .msh files into .Wavefront's .obj format.

http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/reconverted.zip

Original .msh files:

http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/msh_examples.rar

• 4 months later...
I added the Star Wars BattleFront .msh loader module to the 3D Object Converter and I uploaded the latest developer package (non beta) to my web page.

You can download it using the following link:

http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/3dc32390x_dev_20070217.zip

I converted any original .msh files into .Wavefront's .obj format.

http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/reconverted.zip

Original .msh files:

http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/msh_examples.rar

Those links don't work.

This is a very useful tool though.

Archived