Home

So... uh... still worth buying this game now? Answer: great game!

Doctor Shaft

Yeah, I know this kind of thread is probably annoying by now, especially this late in the game.

I was watching the forums for a while, and for months I'd see the game sitting on the shelves, but I just kept thinking "Naw, there just isn't going to be the interesting stuff that I used to get involved in with JO, I don't think many people place this one anymore." So I never bought it.

I know the price has gone down... but it's still in that range where I'd buy it, think to myself that it is cheaper, but that in the end I may not get to do much with it at all. I know there's a couple mods out there, like Forcemod, but from what I could tell... that's about it.

Yeah, there's the other ones, like the JK mods, the Dark Force mod, the AOTC mod, etc.... but you can understand if I'm not going to base my decision on the hope that they actually get released.

So, advice? Would you buy it now if you already owned JO, etc. I know they've got more sabers, and that's cool... but I can't justify buying the game for just that.

Thanks if you have the time to answer.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want the rest of the Jedi Knight story in single player, it gets the job done.

If you want a multiplayer game, NO. I do not recommend multiplayer. The corrupt modding community has made mods that allow certain players to cheat, and others helpless. This spands across 99% of the servers. The majority of the community is overall really stupid no matter where you go. Even servers running the more respectable mods like ForceMod, MovieBattles II, etc. have been taken over by corruption and idiocy.

I left Jedi Academy for Star Wars Battlefront and found this transition very pleasing.

i agree whit TK-8252

there are so many people in this game that cheat

like poking yawnspeed and what more moves thay come up whit

adminabuse is 100 times wors then in JO

if i whas you i woud yust stay whit JO

and it is indeed a MADHOUSE out there

all servers are full of players that can't fight at all only

thay know how to fix there mouse speed

and evryone is angry aboud something and if you say one

thing you get kickt or banned

Raven shoud make an update that will make the game

better :(

to bad thay won't

- there is no honor anymore -

Wow...

so it's gotten worse, eh? Well, I suspected as much. Gone were the days when JK++ was around, and Promod, and all the other cool things that were going on.

Well, thanks for the input and information. That pretty much summed up what I was thinking every time I looked at the game.

I wanted perhaps to just play the game with my brother. I know that at least with him we can set up a cool game, but I'm not willing to spend the money on it just for a few games.

I ahve played Star wars jedi knight: jedi academy through three times and still get suprised by things hiding around the corner or some where! :bdroid2:

You can play this game as many times as you want, and I promise that you won't get bord!

There is fight after fight after duel:saberb: :saberr:

New mysteries and twists in all the missions :deathii:

And you get the chance to ride a speeder, snow thingie and stout walkers!:atat::x-wing:

Trust me it's realy realy fun and I sugest that you get it soon!

Originally posted by TK-8252

If you want the rest of the Jedi Knight story in single player, it gets the job done.

If you want a multiplayer game, NO. I do not recommend multiplayer.

I agree with this assessment. But I think that singleplayer is worth the price on its own, and is quite fun.

I agree with both TK-8252 and Prime on this one.

Gamers who play primarily single player mode (a.k.a. "me") will have a very enjoyable experience with JA. Yes, the plot isn't as good as JO and Rosh is the most annoying character in the Star Wars universe hands down, but the gameplay is spot on, with plenty of gun and saber-toting enemies to fight against, piloting vehicles is a blast and the environments are suprisingly rich for a game that runs off the now obsolete Q3 engine.

I was particularly impressed with the Vjun levels, the lighting was superb.

Also, gone are the days in JO of the exceedingly frustrating "jump puzzles," where the slightest error led to an untimely demise down a cliff or elevator shaft. The puzzles, though fewer in number, are more intuitive and make more sense in the game environment. The option of choosing your own Force powers is great, as it allows you to tailor your Force abilities to your fighting style. For example, defensive players benefit greatly from Force Absorb, Protection and Heal, while the more Rambo-esque will favor the destructive power of Force Lightning, Drain, and Dark Rage.

However, those looking for a radical change from JO will be disappointed. Indeed, it sometimes feels more like an expansion for JO than a new standalone game. Still, as that old saying goes, "if it ain't broke..."

While multiplayer was fun at first, it's honestly gone down the crapper nowadays. I count myself truly fortunate if I can find a competitive FFA server without abusive admin mods, saber-only whiners and "honorz" clans. Too often game servers are chat rooms with players who say things like "OMG WHI U K1LL M3 U L4M3R!!!!!!!!!!," whereupon they kick/ban you from the server. CTF and Siege mode are still competitive, but fewer people are playing those game modes anymore.

In short; buy the game for SP, but not MP.

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

I agree with both TK-8252 and Prime on this one.

Gamers who play primarily single player mode (a.k.a. "me") will have a very enjoyable experience with JA. Yes, the plot isn't as good as JO and Rosh is the most annoying character in the Star Wars universe hands down, but the gameplay is spot on, with plenty of gun and saber-toting enemies to fight against, piloting vehicles is a blast and the environments are suprisingly rich for a game that runs off the now obsolete Q3 engine.

I was particularly impressed with the Vjun levels, the lighting was superb.

Also, gone are the days in JO of the exceedingly frustrating "jump puzzles," where the slightest error led to an untimely demise down a cliff or elevator shaft. The puzzles, though fewer in number, are more intuitive and make more sense in the game environment. The option of choosing your own Force powers is great, as it allows you to tailor your Force abilities to your fighting style. For example, defensive players benefit greatly from Force Absorb, Protection and Heal, while the more Rambo-esque will favor the destructive power of Force Lightning, Drain, and Dark Rage.

However, those looking for a radical change from JO will be disappointed. Indeed, it sometimes feels more like an expansion for JO than a new standalone game. Still, as that old saying goes, "if it ain't broke..."

While multiplayer was fun at first, it's honestly gone down the crapper nowadays. I count myself truly fortunate if I can find a competitive FFA server without abusive admin mods, saber-only whiners and "honorz" clans. Too often game servers are chat rooms with players who say things like "OMG WHI U K1LL M3 U L4M3R!!!!!!!!!!," whereupon they kick/ban you from the server. CTF and Siege mode are still competitive, but fewer people are playing those game modes anymore.

In short; buy the game for SP, but not MP.

I agree.

But as I said, you can sort out JA servers running mods or JA base. Incase you do get invovled in JA MP avoid servers enabled with JA+.

Originally posted by TK42235

Incase you do get invovled in JA MP avoid servers enabled with JA+ (mod).

That's good advice, but, unfortunately, a large percentage of FFA servers run JA+ mod (but most duel, CTF, and Siege servers don't use that mod).

I agree with what has already been said. Single-player is very good and under-rated. While the overall story is not as good as Jedi Outcast, in my opinion the individual maps are better than JK2's.

You can still have a decent multiplayer experience if you are very selective about which servers and gametypes you play. CTF, Siege, and duel (Blademod) servers are good, and ForceMod III (but not the "RPG" FM3 servers) and MovieBattles II are fun. But as others have said, JA+ mod and the "admins" and clans that use it have ruined and killed the game for non-morons and non-noobs. Avoid servers running JA+ mod unless you just want to see how far down this once-great series has declined.

well also a problem is that many ppl whant to make jka yust like jk2 only the biggest problem whit this is thay don't know there whas only single saber and staff only we all remember what staf dit to you in jk2 ;)

and this is also the same whit dual saber

I love - and highly recommend - Jedi Academy for a few reasons:

- The Star Wars feel - it has more SW homage and drips with SW love.

- The lightsaber - best implementation yet. You are not a wimp with a glow-stick like in JK/MotS, nor are you invincible like in JKII. Good Balance.

- The mission structure gives you lots of places to experience and different things to do.

But ...

- The RPG-lite is weak, the light/dark is fluff, and the story is fractured and light.

- The mission-per-level thing limits how much you can experience any setting, and some go way too fast.

To compare with other FPS and/or action games of the past year or so:

- It is better in pretty much every way than Medal of Honor Pacific Assault.

- Far Cry is objectively better, has awesome AI, but comes down to a boring 'pump the bullets into the mindless monster' fest at the end that pretty much ruined the game for me.

- Half-Life 2 is objectively better, I suppose, but I find HL2 has worse weapons, a weaker story, the protagonist has *no* personality, and the vehicle areas are overwrought to stretch the game.

- Call of Duty United Offensive is pretty much on par - the graphics are similar, but the weapons in UO are worse than the original.

Mike

Originally posted by Nokill

well also a problem is that many ppl whant to make jka yust like jk2 only the biggest problem whit this is thay don't know there whas only single saber and staff only we all remember what staf dit to you in jk2 ;)

and this is also the same whit dual saber

I wasnt aware of that. Do you have an example of a mod?

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

I agree with what has already been said. Single-player is very good and under-rated. While the overall story is not as good as Jedi Outcast, in my opinion the individual maps are better than JK2's.

I'd say overall that the SP gameplay is as good or better than JO in most respects.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still seriously considering buying up. However, I guess I do have one or two more questions.

It's always about being selective with any Jedi Knight game. JK, MOTS, JO, always had a bunch of whiny kids nested somewhere :) .

However, my primary worry was that there woulnd't be any servers around to play on. How's the traffic out there? I know most places are JA+, and believe me I know exactly what that is. I won't be going there. :p

The Chop Shop has always looked like a good place to go whenever I read that sig.

Second, how's the traffic for all the mods. I wouldn't want to download a mod, decide one day to mess around on the internet, and then end up having to play with bots again.

I'm not really a fan of the Jedi Outcast and such single players. After playing JK and MoTS to death in my younger years, the story just doesn't cut it for me anymore. I'm still waiting for the day when a single player game comes out that actually tempts me with the power of the Dark Side instead of giving me these half hearted attempts at balanced sides and the ability to carry multiple guns. What can I say, I'm a nerd.

On the other hand, I loved HL2 story, despite Gordon's lack of speaking. Call me weird and contradictory. :)

Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet

Don't buy it for the story. Besides what are you dong thinking about this, when Half-Life 2 is out? Go get it now, shoo!

HL2 isn't everyone's cup o'tea ... heck, I'd rather pay $50 for Jedi Academy than $20 for HL2 ... but that's me.

Mike

hey, its doctor shaft! lol, yea there is certianly no promod type of gameplay avalible anymore. in fact, JA is pretty much turned me off of sabers completely as i now mainly use guns. i find the MP saber combat to be quite random and the mods dont help either, not as good as jk2 i dont think.

Originally posted by Doctor Shaft

However, my primary worry was that there woulnd't be any servers around to play on. How's the traffic out there? I know most places are JA+, and believe me I know exactly what that is. I won't be going there. :p

The Chop Shop has always looked like a good place to go whenever I read that sig.

Second, how's the traffic for all the mods. I wouldn't want to download a mod, decide one day to mess around on the internet, and then end up having to play with bots again.

Traffic on my JA servers (but not my JK2 servers) has definitely gone down in the past few months after DOOM3, Battlefront, and Half Life 2 came out. I suspect a lot of JA+\saber-only\no Force\honor players don't play games like that, so they have kept JA+ "no laming" servers active. It would be great if there was a large selection of "normal" servers available that were always busy, but there isn't. The CTF, Movie Battles, and Forcemod players have 1 or 2 servers of each mod or gametype that they play on but they are busy enough, especially evenings and on the weekends. The advantage of having few servers is the fact that the regulars know each other and form mini-communities.

Originally posted by Doctor Shaft

I'm not really a fan of the Jedi Outcast and such single players. After playing JK and MoTS to death in my younger years, the story just doesn't cut it for me anymore. I'm still waiting for the day when a single player game comes out that actually tempts me with the power of the Dark Side instead of giving me these half hearted attempts at balanced sides and the ability to carry multiple guns. What can I say, I'm a nerd.

One acronym: KOTOR. It's in the same price range as Jedi Academy and is a multiple Game of the Year winner, and deservedly so. It's not a FPS of course but the combat is still fun, and the plot, characters, dialog, settings, music, and true Light or Dark paths are unsurpassed. Get it now so you'll be ready for KOTOR II when it comes out for PC.

Originally posted by TK42235

How is that trying to get rid of staff/dual styles?

not getting rid of them but making there damage compare more whit the damage from single

one yellow staff hit has 2 times the power of a single red hit now

and if you also put the spinning and suf up you always do one hit kills :mad:

Archived