Home

So... uh... still worth buying this game now? Answer: great game!

Doctor Shaft

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

I like the whole siege idea. But the fact of the matter is, all you got to do is shoot rockets or concussion missiles at the guy and your going to kill him.

Easy to say, but tougher to put into practice consistently.

While the players may move "slow" as I was talking about in previous posts, the thing is that the same limitations apply to everyone. Everyone (who lacks speed or rage) is "slow." Likewise everyone doesn't have the same health count. Nobody starts with shields, but shield counts vary as well, if you can stock up (defenders have the advantage here, as attackers have to work for their shields, if they can get them at all). Killing somebody who has 200 health and 100 shields and you only have 50/50, before he kills you, isn't so easy, even if you can run 25% faster than he does.

Likewise there's only one map where you have a Team Healer. Normally you have to be more careful with healing, using your Techs to heal each person individually. Some characters start with Bacta, and some Jedi get Heal or Drain, but those abilities are also limited, so you've gotta plan ahead and work together. In a fight you may be the one who runs out of health first, and that's it while you wait to respawn. That's another good point incidentally... in CTF you have people who bind /kill so they can just respawn in their base ready to go. In Siege you are penalized for dying, so you've gotta be more careful.

I was thinking about how when I first began playing Siege I thought that only Assault and Jedi classes were useful, but in reality I've found that they are all useful, especially Techs. Without them defeating mine traps are a major major pain.

Heavy Weapons, with his usual Merr Sonn or Concussion Rifle seems powerful, but then you realize that he only has a enough ammo for a few shots (enough to get a paltry number of kills or destroy one small structure, if that), and once his big weapon is depleted, he's down to the Blastech and Fists. So he has to rely on a Tech or camp near an ammo station and hope nobody snipes him in between.

I use stealth to my advantage, especially in the tatooine level. I hide behind buildings and other obsticals until people pass by, then go for it.

It doesn't always work because they are human after all and *normally* can't be fooled easily. On the other hand, since they are human they can also make mistakes and overlook me. :D

I know what you mean. Sounds paradoxical, but humans are difficult because they are human, but also easy because they are human. ; )

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had been operating under the assumption that Jedi Academy was an expansion pack, and that I'd need Jedi Outcast to go forward--which has, over the past several months, delayed me from purchasing it, as I get the cyclic redundancy check error whenever I try to install JO.

If it is a standalone, I'll need to rectify the situation of my not possessing it immediately...

Originally posted by Shadowen

I had been operating under the assumption that Jedi Academy was an expansion pack, and that I'd need Jedi Outcast to go forward--which has, over the past several months, delayed me from purchasing it, as I get the cyclic redundancy check error whenever I try to install JO.

If it is a standalone, I'll need to rectify the situation of my not possessing it immediately...

The Cyclical Reduncy error is addressed on the Raven Software JK2 Support pages, and answered numerous times in the Technical Help forums too IIRC. I don't remember specifically what it was, but you can find it there after some poking around.

And no, while it uses the same (modified) engine, it's not an expanasion pack, but an official sequel. ; )

I'm gonna bring back this thread with a little MBII experience I remember.

While I agree that MovieBattles is the way to go if you're still playing JA, don't expect it to be BS-free. I remember being kicked without any warning from an official MBII server for defending my base, which is seen as "camping" to those of low intelligence. When I rejoined and the players with a sense of tactic came to my defense, the admin (who loved to hide behind the "server" name command, maybe it makes him feel extra god-like or something for his ego) went on a rampage of threats to kick anyone who was smarter than him (which was a lot of people).

It's been a really long time since I played JA (haven't played since SWBF came out), but with even more of the competitive players gone to play the more recent and upcoming games, I can only imagine what goes on in those servers now with the clueless n00bs in even more power.

Originally posted by TK-8252

I'm gonna bring back this thread with a little MBII experience I remember.

While I agree that MovieBattles is the way to go if you're still playing JA, don't expect it to be BS-free. I remember being kicked without any warning from an official MBII server for defending my base, which is seen as "camping" to those of low intelligence. When I rejoined and the players with a sense of tactic came to my defense, the admin (who loved to hide behind the "server" name command, maybe it makes him feel extra god-like or something for his ego) went on a rampage of threats to kick anyone who was smarter than him (which was a lot of people).

And of course, you have proof for your accusations?

Originally posted by CerberuS_21

And of course, you have proof for your accusations?

Nah, because I don't really care about getting kicked from a game... I just accept that people like that suck at life (besides this was so long ago like I said, before SWBF came out).

Originally posted by TK-8252

Nah

Then I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't draw an image of MBII being admin-abuse heavy - which your previous post certainly did for people who don't know the mod.

If an admin on our official servers is found abusing his powers, his admin privileges will be removed immediately. But so far we have not been getting one single complaint about our current set of admins in 6 months they have been "on duty". We choose our admins carefully.

MBII also does not incorporate any admin commands other than the basejka ones. So any admin-abuse you might encounter on MBII servers certainly has nothing to do with the mod itself.

I don't see why you felt the urge of dragging MBII into this thread anyway.

MBII was already in this thread mentioned as one of the multiplayer mods that are enjoyable, which it really is. Seriously, just one bad encounter months and months ago doesn't screw over your mod.

Anyway, I'm not BSing you here (I don't BS anyone; it's not in my character - ask anyone 'round these forums). This DID happen to me, despite the carefulness of who gets admin access. I didn't complain because it's just not worth "presenting a case" and stirring up trouble on your forums. We all have more important things to do than that.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived