Home

About the Bad Brain puzzle

cappuchok

Originally posted by jp-30

There's way too much posturing and gameplay for a company who have supposedly signed an NDA for my liking.

Agreed. They're acting just a little too...smug about this whole thing for my tastes. Either negotiations are to the point where they can be that smug (IE, the deal's practically in the bag, or is already), or they're even more crazy-mad-enthusiastic about it than the rest of us usually are.

Or... "buying Sam & Max 2 from LucasArts" thing could be nothing more than a publicity stunt to get some exposure for Bad-Brain.

Let's face it if the deal falls over then it won't be hard to make it all look like "evil" LucasArts' fault, and Bad-Brain will get even more free-press for their company (and therefore for I-Jet & Orgastic 4 too).

You'd think that Telltale had been much further into negotiations with LucasArts than Bad Brains, yet they don't sound at all confident (wasn't the last mention of S&M2 the possibility of making an a brand new game without LucasArts' involvement?). How can it be that Telltale, which has been active for over half a year now, is unable to negotiate cooperatively with LucasArts, and this company is just a step away from gaining the resources? Either LucasArts has something personal against Telltale, or Bad Brains somehow has a lot more money than Telltale is willing to offer.

OK, I don't want to believe that Bad-Brain is making anything up, especially since I'd really like to see the LucasArts Freelance Police get resurrected, but there's just something odd about a new company suddenly wielding all this power. March can't come soon enough.

I thought TellTale was going to be negotiating with Steve Purcell when the Sam & Max license defaults back to him in May...? They're working on "something else" for game #1, but they wanted game #2 to be Sam & Max 2, last I heard.

As for the idea of this being just a publicity stunt...ack, I hope not. It's a bloody stupid one to try and pull, if it is. Though it'd be a good way to not win the fan base's support.

Well, the fact that they're attempting to negotiate a deal with LucasArts has already given Bad-Brain a lot of press.

I'm sure they are genuinely negotiating with LucasArts, but...

if they come back from failed negotiations claiming LucasArts are being bastards and won't sign the game over, it makes LucasArts look bad, Bad-Brain look good for trying.

Bad-Brain gets more free publicity in all the subsequent column inches... and no-one would be able to prove it was all a publicity stunt and Bad-Brain knew from the start there was no chance in hell of buying the code.

Whether Bad-Brain buys Sam & Max 2 from LucasArts or not, they're going to get a whole lot of good publicity out of the manoeuvre regardless. It's win-win for them.

Originally posted by TyraaRane

I thought TellTale was going to be negotiating with Steve Purcell when the Sam & Max license defaults back to him in May...? They're working on "something else" for game #1, but they wanted game #2 to be Sam & Max 2, last I heard.

That's true, but the difference is that while Telltale will likely have to start a new game, Bad Brain seems intent on gaining the resources for the one LucasArts cancelled. Telltale more or less implied that LucasArts wasn't very cooperative, but they hope at least Purcell will license the characters to them when the rights revert back to him. Bad Brain, which materialized out of nowhere, is coming off as having already made some negotiations. Their confidence just doesn't seem to have any solid backing as of yet.

Indeed. The only thing that could possibly mean a big difference for Bad-Brain is Bill Tiller. If there's an ex-LEC employee who's still on good ground with the company, they might be more willing to listen. That's the only positive thing I can think to say though... it doesn't sound especially good when you consider how it's helping Bad-Brains :(

Archived