Home

ROTS Novel Trilogy (including Dark Lord) - - - [spoiler tags please!]

Astrotoy7

Remember what forum we're in guys, but this sounds to me like another bad sign... that the "Jedi Purge" is going to happen "off screen," ; p

Basically my nagging suspicion is that Lucas has been going about this too much like the Wachowski (sp?) brothers with the Matrix sequels.... force fans to read some books, play some video games, and watch some cartoons to get the "real story" of a movie, that should be able to tell the story itself (considering its budget and how long we've waited for it). ; p

A few details are fine, but the main story, not just some soap opera thing, should be the movie, not leaving major important stuff, like the Clone Wars and the Jedi Purge to second rate media, just to further cash in.

Okay, rant over for now, I may be (hopefully) wrong...

Seriously I was expecting a movie entitled Attack of the Clones to have a large part of the Clone Wars in it. They make it seem like a big deal in the old trilogy, and yet its hardly in the movies. I was pissed. In the same vein if I don't see Vader go medevil on a whole lot of Jedi, I will again, be pissed.

Well they can't exactly show him killing all that many people, slicing them up and such, otherwise they'd end up with an R rating. I think Lucas will cover it enough to where we have a basic concept of it all. The books will just go into a much better detail of it because they aren't restricted in what they can do because there are no visuals. It's up the the imagination.

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

Timothy Zahn is far above everyone else. Nonetheless, Luceno is one of the best.

I beg to differ....

Tim Zahn's writing does *not* stand the test of time.... his characters have, but his characterisations leave *much* to be desired..... He does write some good action sequences, but so do the likes of allston and stackpole.. :D

James Luceno wrote quite a few of teh NJO novels...but unless you plan on reading the NJO, I'd stick with his non NJO novels if you want to get a feel for his writingt. Try "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter"

mtfbywa

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Pho3nix

Star Wars books really don't come out in Finland :(

So I guess i'll never be able to read "Star Wars Dark Lord".

are you able to read english versions ? if so, just order online, amazon.co.uk would be a safe bet to deliver there :)

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Prime

I hope to, but I still have to finish the Silmarilian, which is a slow read.

woe to you O Prime of the Northern Ranges, for ever daring to read that book ! :p

as much as we all love the story/movies/characters etc, Tolkien was *never* a good 'writer' . Nowadays he would have a very tough time getting past a publisher with that dry style of his.... :(

mtfbwya

oh BTW.. TFN has their LoE review up... Scott, the TFN reviewer seems to be getting jumpy as may approaches and gave it a 2.5/4 ! :p

he did note that spoilerised ppl would find it infinitely more fun to read

read the review ! remember - BOOK AND EPISODE III SPOILER WARNING !!!

http://www.theforce.net/books/reviews/r_labyrinthofevil.asp

actually, I recommend one browse the TFNS books section, theres alot of EP3 related stuff up there, including a summary of the novelisation :) (Im staying clear tho ! gotta stay spoiler free :p )

mtfbwya

I've finished the Simarillion (I should get a cookie) and have read about 30 pages of LOE. Pretty good so far. The has been quite a bit of relationship stuff between Anakin and Kenobi which is interesting. There has also been a bit of overview as to the state of the galaxy and how life has changed...

• 2 weeks later...

My LOE review:

Labyrinth of Evil is one of the latest Clone Wars books that covers events leading right up to the point where Episode 3 starts (as far as I can tell). It follows a variety of characters, but for the most part it focuses on the adventures of Anakin and Obi-Wan.

This is the third Clone Wars novel that I have read. The other two being Shatterpoint and The Cestus Deception. I would have to say that LOE is by far my favorite of these, and it is definitely one of the better novels in the EU. The main reason being that unlike the other books I mentioned, this book covers, gasp, some of the major events and battles of the Clone Wars. Even though they are good books in their own right, one of the complaints I have about the other CW books is that the events seem to have very little to do with Clone Wars as a whole. No big battles, and for the most part, no Seperatists. Many of the events they mentioned were relatively minor focusing only on at most a few worlds. Where is the big sweeping galactic conquest the Clone Wars is supposed to be? LOE does a much better job in this regard.

Another strong part of the book is the characterizations. I find that they closely mirror the characters as seen in the movies, and in some cases, like Kenobi and Skywalker, even take them to a new level. In LOE the relationship between the two is really fleshed out, and it is clear that they really are best friends. They act very much like brothers, which means that even though they are extremely close, they can still get on each others nerves and have disagreements. Both has their own way of doing things, but each recognizes the strengths of the other. In this regard, I think it will make the movie better for me because the final duel is really going to destroy their friendship, and it may seem a bit more tragic to me now. We also see how Anakin is starting to use his anger as his driving force, and how he justifies it.

LOE goes into great detail about many of the new characters, specifically General Grevious. We find out where he came from and how he has become what he is. His Magna Guards give the Jedi serious competition and they are in full force in the story. Palpatine is also discussed a great deal, and we learn who his master was and how he recruited Dooku, as well as the story behind the clone army and Sifo-Dyas. We also learn a lot about Dooku's thought process and what he thinks about current events. For example,

he trained/programmed the Mangna Guards and Grevious with the Jedi Arts, or lightsaber techniques. Even though they have factual knowledge, the fact that they can't show finesse and the emotional elements that make lightsaber combat a higher form sticks in his craw. He also views the Jedi in much the same way, feeling they have lost the appreciation of such skills. Also, even though he is after Kenobi and Skywalker, he respects their abilities and teamwork. Finally, it appears that only Dooku and Palpatine know who Sidious really is. That includes Grevious, Ventress, and all their other minions. They are using them just as much as everyone else.

In the end Labyrinth of Evil is an excellent book that really fleshes out the state of all the characters and the galaxy as a whole. It also discribes the major events leading up to Episode 3, and what the situation of each character is. I highly recommend checking it out before the flick arrives.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Prime

I'm not sure. I was disappointed with the AOTC one. I want more than a simple retelling of the movie. I want more background information as well.

All I can say Prime is that the author writing it is top notch at characterisation. Matt Stover gave us the awesome Traitor from NJO... if anyone can try and show us whats goin on in Anakins messed up mind, its him... he'll defiinitely do a better job than GLs dialogue, I can guarantee that.

BTW - ROTS novelisation now out ! It is available in standard HB, and e-book format. There are some other new books. Check out the new books thread :)

Here is a brief ROTS novelisation summary.

http://www.theforce.net/books/story/Revenge_of_the_Sith_Novelization_Summary_88880.asp

mtfbwya

• 9 months later...

I picked up a copy of Dark Lord in AudioBook format (because it was cheaper and because I'm not interested in hardbacks; will wait for softcover) and have a little problem with the time periods.

They go from Order 66 to Imperial Regional Governors and describing Imperial Center (without explaining it used to be Coruscant) and suited Vader in action - in just a few chapters. I get the feeling no more than a day or two passed between Order 66 and the other things and... well, we've all seen Ep 3 and we know a lot more time passed.

So is there anyone out there who can explain.

I picked up a copy of Dark Lord in AudioBook format (because it was cheaper and because I'm not interested in hardbacks; will wait for softcover) and have a little problem with the time periods.

They go from Order 66 to Imperial Regional Governors and describing Imperial Center (without explaining it used to be Coruscant) and suited Vader in action - in just a few chapters. I get the feeling no more than a day or two passed between Order 66 and the other things and... well, we've all seen Ep 3 and we know a lot more time passed.

So is there anyone out there who can explain.

the start of the book is during order 66 and then it moves on a few weeks or so i cant remember and dont have my copy at hand to check it up

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived