Home

NJO : FAQs / Rants/ Raves/ Reviews

Astrotoy7

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Pho3nix

That Y V **** pretty much sucks....I mean they DO look like a species from Star Trek. And Chewie dying sucks...and it's sad :mad:

Those Star Wars movies pretty much suck....I mean they DO look like a species from ET: The Extra Terrestrial. And Obi Wan dying sucks...and it's sad :mad:.........................;)

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

Those Star Wars movies pretty much suck....I mean they DO look like a species from ET: The Extra Terrestrial. And Obi Wan dying sucks...and it's sad :mad:.........................;)

LMAO....I love such freakish saracsm :p Bravo Shok !

I like it when ppl say "OMFG that SUX ! Its like Star Trek" and dont know much about Star trek either, just what they think ST is like from seeing a cpl of movies and a cpl of episodes here and there.... :(:p It just liek me saying Harry potter is Just like LOTR because is has wizards n stuff :p

I like hearing insights and criticisms of informed people, wankers that just make up their mind without substantiation are just ignorant. I can only hope for them that this mode of thought does not carry into their everyday lives.... :(

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Lynk Former

you've already got an NJO thread open, use that.

indeed. especially since a few of us had mentioned that over there(including myself).......

yes, Star by Star it is, or as us njo phreaks call it ...SBS

Lynk who do I have to kill to be EU mod...for the listed mods in the EU forum are quite dull in their knowledge and hardly around.... thank the maker SWPhreak and Jan Gaarni come around..... :) But what the punters need is a local boy....

:p

Leper, It seems strange to read SBS after VP....so very strange..you miss all the build up, and totally defeat the beauty of a multi-book story arc..... :(:p I'd suggets reading "X-Wing : Wedge's gamble" and follow how the new republic got corucsant to begin with(it didnt happen immediately after ROTJs events)

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Leper, It seems strange to read SBS after VP....so very strange..you miss all the build up, and totally defeat the beauty of a multi-book story arc..... :(:p I'd suggets reading "X-Wing : Wedge's gamble" and follow how the new republic got corucsant to begin with(it didnt happen immediately after ROTJs events)

actually im following it perfectly, it helped that Star By Star explains near the start in about a page and a half everything that has already happened up to that point. besides im a student i cant afford to buy every book in the series, so im just gonna read the most important ones. but Jesus W. Christ SBS is taking a while to get going.

Its worth it.

it had better be, where i am, the Vong have just feinted an attack on some world i forget the name of and Danni Quee theorised they were preserving their resources for something else, please tell me its the attack on Coruscant, ive had enough of waiting!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Leper Messiah

it had better be, where i am, the Vong have just feinted an attack on some world i forget the name of and Danni Quee theorised they were preserving their resources for something else, please tell me its the attack on Coruscant, ive had enough of waiting!!!!!!!!

man, I think you should just read comix instead... BANG ! PHROOOM !!!! Enough action for ya ?? :p

mtfbwya

The NJO had its down points. VP was one of those in my view. However, the rest of the series had some incredible moments. Read it, enjoy it. Don't quit at least till you've read Traitor. That's the make it or break it point of the series. If you hate that one, you'll hate it all, but VP is a bad book to judge the series by. You fools who claim it doesn't exist b/c you hate it are just that: fools.

Be patient, though. A nineteen book series doesn't come to the end all in a flash and bang.

Originally posted by Master_Keralys

Don't quit at least till you've read Traitor. That's the make it or break it point of the series. If you hate that one, you'll hate it all, but VP is a bad book to judge the series by.

I agree that you should read to at least Traitor before judging the series, and that if you don't like the series by the end of Traitor you probably wont like it at all (and vice versa), but I think it is possible to not like Traitor and like the rest of the series (and vice versa). Traitor was very different from the other books in the series, IMO at least.

A valid point, I suppose. Regardless, it was the general make-or-break point of the series, b/c it shifted the course of the entire saga in a very new and different direction.

Traitor was probably the most unique SW novel out there, with Shatterpoint a close second. I love reading Matt Stover, b/c he writes to make you think, even though it's just SW "popcorn" reading. Even when I disagree with his philosophies, they make you think.

Just came across this and thought it was interesting:

Imagine taking a beloved character and killing him...why that's just not Star Wars! What's next? Will someone have the audacity to kill another beloved character, like Obiwan Kenobi? HOW DARE....oops, oh, yeah. Well, at least Lucas repented, because in TPM, none of the major characters die...oops, wait a minute.

The R. A. Salvatore interview here is very interesting.

Originally posted by Leper Messiah

i have to say, im over halfway through Star By Star, and the actual storyline is good, but the book is poorly written in my opinion

BAH ! you just dont listen lep ! It will NEVER be the same as if you read them in sequence as originally intended. Theres a lot of momentous stuff happenning in SBS. I find its drawn up parts only building the tension. By the time coruscant was taken, I felt just as defeated as the NR did :)

but still, you do it *your* way, the *crazy* way :p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

BAH ! you just dont listen lep ! It will NEVER be the same as if you read them in sequence as originally intended. Theres a lot of momentous stuff happenning in SBS. I find its drawn up parts only building the tension. By the time coruscant was taken, I felt just as defeated as the NR did :)

but still, you do it *your* way, the *crazy* way :p

mtfbwya

nonononono you dont understand, the storyline is good, very good in fact, and there hasnt been a single reference i havnt understood so far, but its like the Lord Of The Rings for me, great story but it was written in such a way that i hated reading it, in the case of Star By Star sometimes the language is very lacklustre, the characters seem a little wooden at times and the writer i swear is making up branches of the New Republic government as he goes along - every single EU book i have read has different names for New Republic government departments. The senates also a good example, i know its been bombed at least once in the EU but its description changes EVERY SINGLE BOOK. just a couple of niggling factors

You have to keep in mind that there are several years of time between the Galactic Civil War and the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. Not just time, peace time. The galaxy has been at war for decades, the New Republic has been at war since it was created. When you finally add peace into the equation, it is logical that the needs of the government would change drastically, and thus that the government itself would change drastically. To see that there has been a lot of change, just think about this: could you imagine Fey'lya as Chief of State during HoT or Gavin Darklighter as leader of Rogue Squadron during the X-Wing series?

You have to keep in mind that there are several years of time between the Galactic Civil War and the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. Not just time, peace time. The galaxy has been at war for decades, the New Republic has been at war since it was created. When you finally add peace into the equation, it is logical that the needs of the government would change drastically, and thus that the government itself would change drastically. To see that there has been a lot of change, just think about this: could you imagine Fey'lya as Chief of State during HoT or Gavin Darklighter as leader of Rogue Squadron during the X-Wing series?

thats not what i mean, names of departments of the government are always changing. I havnt read the EU in a while i dont rememer Leia's actual title being Chief Of State, i thought she was President. Departments of the New Republic government that do the same thing are given different names all the time. As i said before the Senate seems to change its description every book. Im not talking about storyline changes, just plain coninuity errors

Archived