Home

NJO : FAQs / Rants/ Raves/ Reviews

Astrotoy7

Thats what I'm saying. Times are changing, its likely that the government will look different after years of unprecedented peace time. I'll try to clear up the Chief of State thing though. When it was Mon Mothma, she went by Chief of State. When Leia took over, she also took the title of Chief of State. When Leia took a leave of absence, Ponc Gavrisom took the title of President. My assumption is that President is something of a temporary title.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

of course it has continuity errors. i'm not disputing that by any means. but you make it sound like there is something particularly bad in this book, so I was trying to address that. there is not as much continuity error as you might think. a lot of what appears to be inconsistent, can actually be rationalized.

and some of it is explained in books 2-8 ;)

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

and some of it is explained in books 2-8 ;)

yeah Leper, who died and made you chief of Lucasbooks continuity.... :p stiff shyte, read the book, enjoy the story/or not and try for at least once, if that is at all possible for someone of your intellectual talents, to make some comments worthy of discussing, rather than whine about $hitty little things like that in an absolutely HUGE and awesome book....(and series mind you) :p:);)

*goes back to laugh at other threads where leper is starting to grate on people* :p it is so wonderfully obvious you are from the UK, btw :D here in aus, the favoured descriptor is "whingin pom" :p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

yeah Leper, who died and made you chief of Lucasbooks continuity.... :p stiff shyte, read the book, enjoy the story/or not and try for at least once, if that is at all possible for someone of your intellectual talents, to make some comments worthy of discussing, rather than whine about $hitty little things like that in an absolutely HUGE and awesome book....(and series mind you) :p:);)

*goes back to laugh at other threads where leper is starting to grate on people* :p it is so wonderfully obvious you are from the UK, btw :D here in aus, the favoured descriptor is "whingin pom" :p

mtfbwya

oh dear, took that a bit seriously didnt we? :p

i have quite enough "intellectual talents" to judge the book im reading, but i havnt done that yet, ive just stated my impressions so far. I havnt got to the end yet and im still giving it a chance, all im sayin so far is i find the constant restructuring of the New Republic government quite distracting in the entire EU, not just this book.

Originally posted by Cyborgninja

Well I just finish vector prime not to long a go and I fought it was great but it needed more combat.

the cheif plot point i didnt like about Vector Prime was that it ended with the Republic winning the battle, it hardly seemed the best way to introduce this enemy that would procede to invade and conquer most of the galaxy. Other than that, i thought Chewbacca's death was poor, i felt certain he would die in actual combat, as it seemed the only fitting way to go. Maybe it was a suprise move but it just, well, wasnt very good.

Originally posted by Leper Messiah

the cheif plot point i didnt like about Vector Prime was that it ended with the Republic winning the battle, it hardly seemed the best way to introduce this enemy that would procede to invade and conquer most of the galaxy. Other than that, i thought Chewbacca's death was poor, i felt certain he would die in actual combat, as it seemed the only fitting way to go. Maybe it was a suprise move but it just, well, wasnt very good.

Chewies death was a sacrifice. His life for anakins. It also set up for a whole new dynamic between Han Solo, who quickly loses the plot, and anakin...Both are deeply haunted by Chewies death, not the least anakin, who shares alot of guilt and grief over it :(

it was an interesting, and perhaps the only way to have allowed the authors to explore Hans fall to the emotional depths he did..... it was a brave move on the part of NJO authors, and the fact that "immortalised" characters arent actually immortal is a comforting thing to know in the EU...otherwise it would become boring very quickly :)

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

ok im gettin through Star By Star slowly (ive got a lot of work to do atm) and the battle of Coruscant has just begun and Anakin has just snuffed it.

on the subject of Anakins death: excellent, very well done to the author, now that is the way Chewie should have gone down. I was a little sad to see Anakin go, I was hoping Jacen or Jaina would die, both have annoyed me throughout their presence in the EU, Anakin was a much better character than they are.

ok im gettin through Star By Star slowly (ive got a lot of work to do atm) and the battle of Coruscant has just begun and Anakin has just snuffed it.

on the subject of Anakins death: excellent, very well done to the author, now that is the way Chewie should have gone down. I was a little sad to see Anakin go, I was hoping Jacen or Jaina would die, both have annoyed me throughout their presence in the EU, Anakin was a much better character than they are.

that's the thing. Anakin was a well liked character by many. His loss allowed the author(s) to reflect on each of the characters, summarising how each has responded differently in a time of turmoil. It also helped crystallise the jedi cause I believe, and possibly make things a *little* easier for Luke, who was starting to encounter an increasing amount of division within the ranks of the jedi

keep reading ! SBS is cool....but nothing like TUF, which is an absolutely awesome finale...DaMMIT! I wish they would hurry with those post NJO novels...Im getting sick of the clone wars era stuff :(

mtfbwya

Does the Republic retake Coruscant? and what happens there while the Vong control it?

also ive got as far as Jaina and a few of the other Jedi going to stop the Vong from keeping Anakins body, and i liked the fact that Jaina used a dark side power, does she go any further down that route, because that would make her character far less annoying to me :D

Does the Republic retake Coruscant? and what happens there while the Vong control it?

also ive got as far as Jaina and a few of the other Jedi going to stop the Vong from keeping Anakins body, and i liked the fact that Jaina used a dark side power, does she go any further down that route, because that would make her character far less annoying to me :D

Man ! why dont you just read the books. What the Vong do to coruscant is awesome and horrifying ! As for the republic retaking ? it..... READ "THE UNIFYING FORCE" :p !

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Samnmax221

It's just not written as well and it seems out of place

how far into it are you ??

had you read the preceding books ??

SBS can be a bit ofverwhelming....alot is going on. I remember reading it over a cpl months duration, rather than a few weeks. Made all the epic events even more huge in my mind :p

good luck with it, hey if you dont end up gettin into it, return it and get Survivors Quest :D:p

mtfbwya

Actually, I thought Star by Star fit the series like a glove; without spoiling anything it's definitely the Empire Strikes Back of the saga. It's a lot to take in, though; a lot of different plots are running in a lot of different directions. However, in my opinion, this adds to it rather than detracts, particularly given that it was Troy Denning's first venture into writing novels for the SW universe - no small task to be given SbS, trust me.

Ignore that last comment by Astro:

good luck with it, hey if you dont end up gettin into it, return it and get Survivors Quest
. He's got something against Tim Zahn... but even I'll admit that SQ was not the best of the SW books I've read. Just wait till you're around the end, you'll find you love SbS.

Originally posted by Master_Keralys

...Ignore that last comment by Astro: . He's got something against Tim Zahn... but even I'll admit that SQ was not the best of the SW books I've read. Just wait till you're around the end, you'll find you love SbS.

Hey ! I wasnt being sarcastic ! I just thought that if he cant enjoy SBS then he shouldnt bother with the NJO and stick to something familiar, like Zahn and his *groan* over-recycled and over-used themes... yep, cool in 1990. But c'mon its 15 damn years onward now ! (and 20 in EU years !!!!) :p

mtfbwya

• 3 weeks later...

ok, finished Star By Star a litle while ago, and it wasnt awful, but i dont think it was awesome, Coruscant falling should have really merited its own book, i was dissapointed with how it took second place to the voxyn storyline, allthough Anakins death was an excellent piece of writing. Compared to Chewie's death, it was far far better. Actually reading this book i felt Chewie could have quite feasibly died fighting Tsavong Lah, and i maintain my disappointment with the way that he died. Star By Star was good in many places though, i enjoyed Borsk Fey'la's death - scheming to the last :D and what i did find promising was the rising of the dark side in Jaina towards the end - an interesting twist to a character i previously found rather boring (of the 3 solo children the one that died was the only one i liked). i cant be too critical of Star By Star though because i bought and read the next book in the series, Dark Journey, so SBS must have done its job.

Dark Journey was fairly enjoyable, I was disappointed Jaina didnt go further down the dark path and she seems at the end of the book to be recovering from her near fall. The swiftly deteriorating battle over Coruscant at the start was my favorite sequence of the planets fall, particularly the pilot who notes with horror that Coruscants lights were going out, a very powerful image in my view. im undecided whether to continue reading the series, what is the next book? and more importantly is it any good?

The next book is Rebel Dawn, which is the first half of the Enemy Lines duology. As far as how good it is, I'm the wrong person to ask. I don't care for Aaron Allston's writing style, but most people do. Of course, if you do finish Enemy Lines, then you will be ready for Traitor, one of the best SW books in existence.

Archived