Home

NJO : FAQs / Rants/ Raves/ Reviews

Astrotoy7

considering the EU authors originally wanted to kill luke in NJO but GL forbid is example enough that he prob wouldnt die ne time soon. (Poor CHewie was second choice). Mind you if they did kill Luke i would of been pissed and probably wouldnt of read any of the NJO

We'll have to wait till dark nest to see what happens.

I'v never known when luke and Mara got married is that in any of the previuse books

"union" comics..

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey ! I wasnt being sarcastic ! I just thought that if he cant enjoy SBS then he shouldnt bother with the NJO and stick to something familiar, like Zahn and his *groan* over-recycled and over-used themes... yep, cool in 1990. But c'mon its 15 damn years onward now ! (and 20 in EU years !!!!)
My bad, friend. I'm inclined to agree that Zahn should just move on into something new, rather than tell us yet more about Thrawn and Co. But then, he writes quite well, even now holding his own fairly well (though I must admit that he's long since been passed in my mind by Stover, Luceno, and Denning).

Jacen was a punk in the beginning of the NJO, admittedly, but his ending more than makes up for it. Indeed, in many ways that beginning was a necessary prologue to his eventual domination. And, as cool a character as Anakin was, he could never have matched what Jacen accomplished, because he was never more than the blade, if you know what I mean. Jacen, on the other hand, was willing to do all it took, and for his journey to be truly satisfying, he had to have the time of "resisting the call." See Campbellian mythology for what I'm talking about. Remember, even Luke had that, back in the day of, "It's all such a long way from here." Without that time of rejection, the hero's eventual triumph is not so powerful.

The only disappointment to me with the NJO was the closure - and not because Luceno did a bad job, but simply because I felt another 100 pages would have helped him nail it closed.

In any case, my new chant is, "Bring on Dark Nest!"

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by TheSource

I am a:

Every time I go by the novels, I feel like there are too many. Is it worth the reading?

well, I myself highly recommend them. However, its sortve depends on whether your into the Expanded Universe or just like the movies on their own.

The NJO does an excellent job of tying together the many many different elements of EU. It was done so well, that it makes the shoddy planning of the clone wars series look ridiculous in comparison.

You must be warned though. It is a 21 book story arc. And the first book, Vector Prime is kinda slow. If you want you can skip and read the Dark Tide books first : Onslaught & Ruin...

mtfbwya

• 3 months later...

I just finished Star by Star (I resumed reading NJO a couple of months ago) and I was very saddened by the fate of Anakin... even more so than that of Chewie. I guess it's sad to see someone with so much potential and realized power to fade away, even if it is just fiction :(

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
I just finished Star by Star (I resumed reading NJO a couple of months ago) and I was very saddened by the fate of Anakin... even more so than that of Chewie. I guess it's sad to see someone with so much potential and realized power to fade away, even if it is just fiction :(

Matt

decipher this :

I <3 SBS = ESB of EU IMO :D

mtfbwya

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
I......smaller than......3...

1 IS SMALLER THAN 3

SBS=ESB.....................hm.............this is tough...............ah well, I'll try again later.

he said he loves Star By Star and it is the "Empire Strikes Back" of NJO. surely you could figure that out? :p

I have only two NJO novels, Agent of Chaos I and The Unifying Force, which i am still reading. i dont like the Vong, because they killed Chewie and Anakin Solo. and they're just a frikin rip-off. the only reason i bought the books was that i didnt know about the Vong when i bought Agents of Chaos and i wanted to say good riddance to the Vong after i finished The Unifying Force :xp:

seriously.

well, that, and i wanted something to read :D

I just finished the Final Prophecy. What a cliffhanger! If I ever even liked a Vong freak, it would have to be Nen Yim, she's so sympathising and respectful towards the end. Her end. I hope Nom Anor dies in the UF, because what he did was... yeah.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2. People who do not like the NJO at all... Then you have detractors who actually havent read any of the books (emphasis added)
I guess I would fall into this classification although I don't really consider myself a "detractor" since I've never posted any disparaging comments about the Yuuzhan Vong. What little knowledge I have of the YV I've obtained from SW:TNEC and after giving it some thought I've realized it isn't that the YV come from a different galaxy, use bio-engineering, their overall ugly appearance, or the fact that a couple of main characters die that have kept me from reading any of the NJO books. I've come to realize that for me it boils down to one main YV characteristic.
"Curiously, all Yuuzhan Vong seemed to be unable to use, or even register within, the universal energy field of the Force." - Star Wars: The New Essential Chronologies; pp. 203-204
Do any of the NJO books explain why this is the case? This reminds me of the ysalamiri creatures Timothy Zahn used in the Thrawn Trilogy and seems an even more extreme deviation from my understanding of how the Force operates than those Force-voiding creatures were.

it seems:

that the Vong homeplanet was also a living entity like Zonama Sekot, and that planet got pissed off because the Vong were so violent, so supposedly, the planet stripped them of the Force.

This angry planets can be real assholes, can't they?

• 6 years later...

I mean i only managed to get about 15 books in, as i started in mid-late highschool and now i have been in university for 3 years (no time to read :( )...but i have heard it all, my brother likes to convince himself he knows all SW EU and tried on many occassions to insult this series having never even read a page. Hate that, i mean if you dont like it after reading it, then fine everyone deserves an opinion.

But i found the style of writing was a more mature one than many series employ, i found it not so biased, such as movies are (i.e. everyone says "he is a main caharacter he cant die").

I mean i was PISSED when they killed my favorite character in Vector Prime! PISSED! but the way they did it had me emotional and amped up and just totally hooked to the series from that point on, i mean AWESOME WRITING.

not gonna lie some of the books get kinda boring, but if you dont mind a little thick plot and some politics, then the wait for the action is not that long, and when they give you action in this series they deliver the whole package!

Pretty much what Astro said, I love that this series gives a new enemy. i mean i have read and watched so much about the empire and the little guys in the white and black stormtrooper outfits. the Yuuzahn vong give a new fresh thing to get into. i mean how can you hate that? I love this series, i LOVE the characters; Jacen, anikan, jaina, the bringing back of calrisian...han is still a bad ass. and for once leia is not just a bump on a log....GREAT SERIES...now i am all amped and have to go read the next book. peace out fellow SW FANS!

DCG mp

Archived