Home

Learning the new Map editor

Lindsey

Yeah, doing the basic terrain is VERY easy in this editor, however I find it a little crude having to work with a maximum resolution of 8m squares. I tried starting a little DS trench run, but the thing won't let you do 90 degree angles (straight down, for the trench walls). I'm thinking there's gonna have to be a HELL of alot of cutting and use of meshes to get a map to look the way we want. The thing that is a complete mystery to me however, is how to call resources. Things like, where do I find vehicles in the editor? Where do I find ANY meshes for that matter? Hopefully as people start to play with the tools a bit, we'll get some fan tutorials. For the time being, I'm in XSI building a mesh for the interior hallways of the Tantive IV :)

O.K., tons of questions. Let's start.

• How do you apply terrain?
  • How do you choose spawn points?
  • How do you even paint the terrain, water, plants, ledges, etc.?
  • How do you place vehicles?
  • How do you...make it look like you are making a map, not some black grid area?
  • When I try to apply water, my mouse is a blue blob, and when I click, it doesn't paint it!! How do you paint it?

Those are just a few questions...I'm sure many people have questions like mine...

:fett:

OK, textures are applied by clicking on textures and hitting the first one where the black texture is, the thing with textures is you have to type the filename of the texture (geo_main_2.tga for example) in the field where it says wipe_black.tga. If done correctly you'll see a small pic of the texture where the black used to be, now click on that and then click around on the terrain to place the texture, it helps to be in solid/wireframe mode to see how the painting is going. The nice thing about the editor is it supports texture blending so place any diff textures over the first to blend it.

It also helps to READ the documentation that came with the tools as they explain alot about how to get started.

I read the readme that came with the tools, but unfortunately it doesn't say where to save your .wld file in order to have BFBuilder.htm open it when you want to resume editing as it does with mod1 and mod2. If i only knew where to save the file in order to have BFBuilder.htm open it automatically like it says in the readme then i could focus more on the editing aspect. However when i save my .wld file, i can't open it with BFBuilder automatically like it says it would, therefore i can't munge what i worked on and cant use the editor period to open the damn thing. Lame.

It sounds like you saved it in the right path. If your ModID was Mod3 then yeah it would be

C:\BFBuilder\DataMod3\Worlds\Mod3\World1\Mod3.wld

If you open DataMod3 as a project and select Edit Mod3 it should launch it with the editor if the editor was not already open. Once you create a world it automatically opens the project so if you ever used the Edit Mod3 button and it worked then it should always work.

Reading the documentation answers most questions. In BFBuilder.hta the quick start instructions are easy, the quick guides if read in order should tell you everything you need to know to create a new planet using assets supplied. Beyond that you can look on my message board for searchable questions and answers and updates to the tools at

http://www.secretsociety.com/forum/

The message board there serves as supplemental documentation to what shipped with the tools.

psych0fred, at your message board i see that thhis was posted in order to make the mods show up on the open project list:

"To fix levels you created not showing up on the open project list edit BFBUILDER.hta

find the line:

re.Pattern = "Data\w.*\rD[^a]"

and replace it with:

re.Pattern = "Data\w.*\r"

This will cause all directories to show up on the list. ONLY select levels."

It doesn't say which file you edit, though. do you know which file it is?

If you installed it right (no spaces), created a world and then immediately opened the world file through BFBuilder it should work. If it doesn't then either you used an invalid modid (no spaces) or something is up with your system that prevents it from working. After creating aworld with BFBuilder it automatically opens the project and all you have to do is click Edit modid. When you resave your world you should save it to Datamodid/worlds/modid/world1/

If you try creating a world with BFBuilder and can't edit the world by clicking the edit button, then either it's choking on the name you chose for some reason or something's up with your system.

My only other suggestion is to re-extract the zip and reinstall the tools in c:\BFBuilder to try again.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived