Home

KOTOR III: New Lightsaber Types

Sanc7us

OK, I've just had some ideas for new Light-saber types (which was sorely missing from KOTOR II), that I'd like to see in KOTOR III, and wanted to see what you guys thought.

1. Light-whip

As seen in a few of the Star Wars comics, like the Jedi vs. Sith with Darth Bane. Don't know if this would be "dual weild-able" but I think it'd be a nice difference from the standard lightsaber.

2. Light-batons

These were seen in the Darth Maul comic. One of the Black Sun hench-women used light-saber like batons.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, do a Google on "Tonfa" and you should find out what they look like.

3. Back-hand lightsaber

Also known as the "blind swordsman" style, it is basically using a sword with the blade pointing at the ground in the back-hand, rather than the traditional style of the blade pointing into the air.

Just some ideas, but I think that the next KOTOR-style game would benefit from some more variety of light-saber type weapons.

hhmm interesting ideas, im surprised u didnt put the ever so popular quad-riple lightsaber lol:rolleyes:

I dont think KOTOR3 would need new lightsabers but more saber and force forums or atleast make them look cool (your guy doesnt attack any different when using chi-sycho or ataru) ya know if I go ataru my guy well hold his lightsaber in an offensive way and his attacks well look different because they are different compared to other styles. uh any1 following me?

I would really like to see the "back-handed" style though

Given the tremendous popularity of KOTOR (and, apparently, TSL), as well as the trilogy build of the Star Wars movies, there will certainly be a KOTOR 3. It will probably use a new or at least vastle updated engine, of course, as the graphics were the biggest complaint I read about TSL.

Originally posted by boinga1

It will probably use a new or at least vastle updated engine, of course, as the graphics were the biggest complaint I read about TSL.

It probably won't be that much improved, as the game will have to be able to run on an XBox... unless the XBox2 comes out between now and then. :D

Originally posted by Darth333

I think they should work more on chracter development, storyline and interaction with party members before adding new lightsabers in the game.

Agreed, more options for customising your character (facial features, etc.) would be a very welcome addition.

Originally posted by KOTORManiac

Agreed, more options for customising your character (facial features, etc.) would be a very welcome addition.

Err...that's not exactly what I meant. Honestly, I don't really care about this type of customization, more fighting styles, new lightsaber models, etc. I prefer that they spend more time developping areas, the history, making interesting side quests and more interaction with party members and other npcs. This is what makes a RPG for me. I'd like to see my actions have more impact on what npcs and party members will say. Many dialogues in Kotor 2 lacked polishing. Example:

When you speak to Visas on board the Ravager or after the Ravager, she keeps tellling you that you are not ready to meet her Master. Damn! I killed him!

That is just one of many examples. Same thing happens with Handmaiden and others such as the administrator on Dantoine when ...

I kill Vrook almost under her nose...and she keeps thanking me.

I must agree with Darth333 as a RPG stands for Role-Playing Game you play a role as a character given choices and how would you act in this situation scenario's if this is complicated. Think this way You are an Actor and have been thrown onto a stage in a impromptu play where you are given an idea and must act out what you are doing. While it seems many here are interested in one thing which is combat and everything that a RPG shouldn't focus on. If all you want is combat and to focus on that then all you need is something like JK or SW-Galaxies. Do not get me wrong a good RPG needs stress points and combat but that should not be the point of the game solely.

^^^^

I agree 100%!!! Darkkender and Darth333, what you both are talking about is indeed what makes an RPG an RPG... And yes Darkkender you are right in;

While it seems many here are interested in one thing which is combat and everything that a RPG shouldn't focus on.

It most definately seems that some people have a fuzzy idea of what Role-Playing Games are really all about (storylines and character interaction), and they are wanting them to be more like other types of games... it's a little rediculous IMO. :D

Originally posted by Sanc7us (Below)

Techincally, KOTOR and KOTOR II aren't TRUE RPGs. They'er ACTION RPGS.

There is a big difference there.

Thanks for proving my whole point!

Originally posted by LordReaver

A lightwhip? Man, I really do need to read more of those Star Wars comics, because that sounds like an amazing idea. Lightbatons sound cool too. Has anyone ever done lightdaggers? Or, on the other end, broad lightswords?

If you read the books (note I never have but I have lots of Star Wars Geeks as friends.) You would find out that the light sable is control able. You can make the blade length smaller or longer. Hints why in the game there are short sabers. I really think its just a saber with the blade length shorten.

One thing I do have to ask though...why does str help when fighting with a light saber? Light weighs nothing....if you pick up a long sword and swing it around. Yes str would help you hit and do more damage....but how would it with a light saber? I mean "real" light sabers killed and cut off limbs like butter.

:smilsab

This is true, but there would be lots of complaints if you didn't get a lightsaber for a long time, because it would be dumb for obsidian to give you a superpowerful saber (like the 'real' ones) at an early time in the game. Thus, we have a dilemma.:evanpiel:

Originally posted by Sennen

One thing I do have to ask though...why does str help when fighting with a light saber? Light weighs nothing....if you pick up a long sword and swing it around. Yes str would help you hit and do more damage....but how would it with a light saber? I mean "real" light sabers killed and cut off limbs like butter.

:smilsab

Yes, but when fighting in a duel, STR would probably help to strike, parry, or simply over-power the other...:duel:

Originally posted by Sennen

As is listed above. Also even though the lightsaber's blade is composed of light the action of swinging and controling the saber is an action of strength. Now admitedly Dexterity can also play a equal role in this it does not play a role in how hard you swing your lightsaber. A jedi is trained from a early age with swords before ever advancing on to the lightsaber as the principals of melee combat thrust/parry/slash/stab and even pulling back on your lightsaber and pulling a punch or a strike are all actions of strength and control. The Harder you swing your lightsaber the more kinetic energy damage potential is behind it. Also when you are in a lightsaber duel with another it requires raw physical strenght to overpower your opponent and to get past there parries with there own lightsaber.

Archived