Home

JA/JAR Mod Source...

zERoCooL2479

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mediablitz

Raven were clearly not thinking past pleasing their darth maul wannabe player base when they removed kick.

Which was a smart move, considering that is probably about 90% of their market.

Originally posted by Druid Allanon

I don't remember seeing any new kick in JA... unless you mean the staff kick? LOL

But it is a new kick. :)

I am guessing they removed flipkicks because it interfered with wallrunning.

When earlier versions of xmod and JA+ came out with both wall running and flipkicks, the CTF gunners on my server complained a lot about the change in wallrunning vs. basejka. It was subtle but it bothered a lot of them. Hex looked at the code and made a change in later versions of xmod so the same speed of double-tap jump against a person did a flipkick, while against a wall it let you wallrun. It seemed to fix it because players didn't complain about it after that change was made. slider has announced that he has "fixed" wallrunning in the newest version of JA+ as well, and I haven't heard any complaints about wallrunning from people who play on his server as well as mine and Refresh\PickUpGamez.

I am guessing that Raven probably found the same thing during their testing and they decided to drop flipkicks in favor of wall running.

While that may be a factor, I think that the kick flip was removed because of the addition of the staff kick. Now, only staffers can kick, so, whats the point of adding the staff kick, if everyone else can kick flip? Theres no use for it. Not to mention, the staff kick is a "kick" unlike the kick flip which is just walking up the other dudes face.

Could you be any more clueless? InsaneSith, you are clearly a rampaging newbie who has no business discussing JK series gameplay. You are a rube. A plebeian blockhead yokel. Shine my shoes and put my french fries in the box, don't try to debate jedi knight series with me.

lukeskywalker1, you are a bewildered bumpkin. A churl and a clodhopper. Go act out scenes from the movies with your plastic lightsaber or something.

Originally posted by img.mediablitz

Could you be any more clueless? InsaneSith, you are clearly a rampaging newbie who has no business discussing JK series gameplay. You are a rube. A plebeian blockhead yokel. Shine my shoes and put my french fries in the box, don't try to debate jedi knight series with me.

Clearly something about me makes you jealous.

And how am I trying to debate the Jedi Knight series with you? I never even talked about the series in any of my posts that were directed towards you. Now go back to your little FK clan forum and continue with your childish whining there.

the only reason flip kicks sucked in JO is that there's no offensive counter for them. If you are allowed to kick me I should be allowed to chop your feet off. Fair is fair...

Besides, what is the point of having moves and tactics that are unbeatable all the time? Doesn't that render every victory you have irrelevant?

I for one am glad they removed it. The problem I have with the saber system is that the movements for dual sabers and the double bladed saber are either poorly animated or downright ridiculous for a real fight. The butterfly would be a key example of this.

(on a tangent note, who the f*** would name a move that can kill you after a harmless insect?!

"Oh yeah and we'll call it the butterfly! muahahahahaha!"

"Uh ok boss, just go take your pills now alright?") :rolleyes:

LOL u r right jediliberator i no that and u no that but sum dunt u no????? wo t r peeps think wen tey say i like teh kik but thy not as good as think they r :p :p :p i play game 4 true honor rpg saber battlez not 2 kick :D :D kik made so i wuld get ownd and that wuz lame

Originally posted by JediLiberator

(on a tangent note, who the f*** would name a move that can kill you after a harmless insect?!

Because of the person's motion...it's a figure 8 type thing....or a butterfly.

Originally posted by JediLiberator

the only reason flip kicks sucked in JO is that there's no offensive counter for them. If you are allowed to kick me I should be allowed to chop your feet off. Fair is fair...

Besides, what is the point of having moves and tactics that are unbeatable all the time? Doesn't that render every victory you have irrelevant?

I for one am glad they removed it. The problem I have with the saber system is that the movements for dual sabers and the double bladed saber are either poorly animated or downright ridiculous for a real fight. The butterfly would be a key example of this.

There are dozens of counters to the kick in jo...another kick, side kicks, lunge, dfa, overhead, red dfa, push, pull, etc. Just because you haven't thought of them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

No, in fairness to Chosen One, it's slider's JA+ mod that has those problems that you listed. Chosen One made JA Reloaded for Jedi Academy as a follow-up to his Jedi Academy Mod for JK2. Realizing the damage that JA Mod for JK2 did to that game, he specifically removed the most abuse-prone commands from JA Reloaded, even though xMod2 and JA+ still had them. So Chosen One's JA Reloaded was the first JA mod to take out the amabuse commands. And it has never had jetpacks or grapplehooks.

After much nagging, Hex reluctantly took out the abusive commands from xMod2 and created auto-saber-off protection to take their place. slider saw his opportunity to be the only mod with amabuse commands (knowing how popular those commands are with "honor" fetishers and players who liked to amempower themselves) and the rest is history. In my opinion, JA Reloaded and xMod2 lost popularity by removing the amabuse commands (most "honor" type admins refuse to use a mod without amabuse commands) and JA+ became popular because slider kept and expanded the amabuse commands.

slider was also the one who had g_forceregentime 0 as default in the JA+ server.cfg, although to his credit he listened to feedback and changed the default value in the latest version to 50 and lists 200 as the basejka default value. Also to his credit, he is using the default value of 200 on his CTF server.

Interesting. But, I think the whole "popularity of amabuse" thing is directly related to the "honor" mentality, which has been a hard habit to break in these communities.

In JK2, the honor mentality took over shortly after the game came out, and is still in full force. Most servers are playing FFA with sabers only and full force using one of several admin mods (though Jedi Academy mod is the most popular) telling me that most people are into "Honor dueling" in that community now.

JA on the other hand still has a significant number of servers that are not like this. Most games are still FFA, but have all weapons. About half the servers are using some version of JA+ though, so that really bites.

It's because Slider has been able to seize on the notion, promoted by the "hon0rz" community that the game isn't "safe" to play, because of "lamers" (ie: those who will try to disruptor honorable saber challenges in FFA).

Without an "admin mod" (the name even makes it sound like you NEED one to be an admin), they think, one cannot even have a game, because someone will try to ruin it by not waiting in line for a saber challenge like you're "supposed to."

Yeah, we've heard this speech a million times, and I've heard it from you too Amidala, not meaning to do any soap boxing, just reciting the summurary of that story.

Hex removed his amabuse commands for awhile, because they were now irrelevant with his "auto honor" system. The trouble is that he back peddalled because he thought that the unpopularity of his mod (despite it's obviously superior quality to mods like JA+) was due to his having removed the abusive commands. So in a sense he 'sold out' thinking that if he appealed to this lowest common denominator his mod would achieve the popularity of Slider's.

Sadly, this didn't happen. After a few months of having the commands back, the number of Xmod2 servers had not significantly increased. So really, all we can say right now is that JA+ mod is simply ingrained in the community, and even some rental servers provide JA+ automatically, as if it's an official patch. It's quite sad.

Will Hex fix his mod? Has he? I dunno. I was holding out hope for awhile, but now that OJP is shaping up to be a good mod for hosting Siege (without altering gameplay), I'm beginning to not really care what he does. Slider is the one who could change everything he he simply removed the commands and put out a statement that he doesn't want people adding them back into his source. Now there's still the problem of Slider dumping every "kewl" feature he can think of into his mod without regard to balance or competition, but still, at least the biggest glut of honorz abuse would be eliminated.

Now as to the "safeness" of the game, I could give a flying, you-know-what about "honorz" but when it comes to Siege, there are a few exploits and the lack of bots that are addressed by OJP mod, which is why I use that. But there is really no credible excuse to have amabuse anymore, except Slider's stubborness and general ignorance (and of course the odd person who likes to abuse people who visit his server until they "bow" to him).

To put things a bit in perspective, on the average it seems there are about 2 players for every server out there for JA. Now I don't know if many of these servers's admins actually play on their own servers (I'm guessing so, at least the JA+ ones), but if that were true, it would say that roughly 1 out of every 2 JA players on at any given time is an admin. And 50% of those admins have decided to use JA+ mod.*

So it's kind of like (I'm tired, but I think this works out), 25% of JA players have decided for the rest of us how we're going to play the game. Now you say, that is the admin's perrogative right? They foot the bill for the server, they should run things their way. But to say that the entire community sucks because of the actions of a few? It's just that most players can't afford to host their own dedicated server, and so they're forced to put up with the entrenched JA+ loving admin community.

*Obviously I'm only talking about those who are on at any given time. People rotate their sleep cycles, work shifts, school schedules, etc. If you're up late in the USA playing with Aussies, etc. I'm not saying there are only 1000 JA players. Rather at any given time on a day that you fire up your browser of choice, that's what you're going to find. while the players rotate around, the servers generally stay the same, so it may be even fewer people who actually use JA+, but they force more people to use it, since you can only choose the servers based on ping with your region.

*Goes back into "Force Long Posters Anonymous" Re-hab...*

Archived