Home

moment of silence...

Nalukai

Originally posted by •-BLaCKouT-•

Bloody hell, Toms! That's two damn luck people you know! (although I'm sure they know that)

Next time you speak to them, wish 'em all the best from me (and presumably, the rest of the Swampies). :)

Thx. They live in japan and never answer their email, but we knew they were in thailand somewhere. So we were expecting a month or two of worry until they bothered to get in touch. But i guess that a close shave like that makes you want to tell everyone you are still around.

And Gothix, you should be proud of your nation anyways. They smoke dope legally and speak four languages! I live in the UK. :indif:

:xp: B.

Well, WE were up to £76 million 2 days ago ourselves, which must be way over $100m at the moment. So for once the uk isn't doing to badly itself. And i speak a bit of french :D;)

Originally posted by toms

Well, WE were up to £76 million 2 days ago ourselves, which must be way over $100m at the moment. So for once the uk isn't doing to badly itself. And i speak a bit of french :D;)

Hmm...that sorry excuse for a piece of shyte Blair, had initially committed just over a 100 million pounds. He is being forced to up teh ante as the British public *doubled* the governments contribution. Here in Oz, everyone has been digging deep, the public(we have a popn of 19 million mind you) has donated over 100 million AUD. In addition, our PM has pledged 1 billion dollars in direct aid. I just wish he would come to the party on the debt relief proposals :(

mtfbwya

its great but also sad the world can only come together after a tragedy, but im glad those peeps over there are getting the aid that they would have never been able to do by themselves without losing thousands more to disease and famine.

What sickens me is the U.S. The U.S. is only paying $350,000,000. We were gonna pay $35,000,000. Also, Pfizer, the medicine company is sending $35,000,000. Linkin Park has created a fund, and just started with $10,000 already. That is a lot for straight in the beginning (Linkin Park).

Japan is paying $500,000,000 as well. The U.S. is stingy, no matter what any stupid American says. We spend $35,000,000 in Iraq everyday as well.

I am ashamed of our country.

The three events, 9/11, 3/11, and the War in Iraq had less deaths by far, than this tsunami. Yet, it was publicized less than all of those until the death count got to about 40,000. That is sickening and horrible. I hate Bush.

:fett:

I did hear a scary figure that the number of people killed (up to about 150,000 so far) is only about the same number that die from hunger each month in the world. Not sure how true that is, but it is even more scary.

My history teacher says that that the same amount of people die from malaria.

Even little Australia has donated more money than the U.S., the most wealthy country in the world.

Originally posted by TK-8252

My history teacher says that that the same amount of people die from malaria.

Even little Australia has donated more money than the U.S., the most wealthy country in the world.

Oi ! whaddaya mean little ! Sure, we have a small population, but the actual landmass is as big as the US [/doesntreallycare]

The US are chipping in, with $400m USD. Decent enough...however, if you look at nations contributions in terms of of their gross national product, the US will hopefully dig a little deeper over the coming months/years :)

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Majin Revan

What sickens me is the U.S. The U.S. is only paying $350,000,000. We were gonna pay $35,000,000. Also, Pfizer, the medicine company is sending $35,000,000. Linkin Park has created a fund, and just started with $10,000 already. That is a lot for straight in the beginning (Linkin Park).

Japan is paying $500,000,000 as well. The U.S. is stingy, no matter what any stupid American says. We spend $35,000,000 in Iraq everyday as well.

I am ashamed of our country.

The three events, 9/11, 3/11, and the War in Iraq had less deaths by far, than this tsunami. Yet, it was publicized less than all of those until the death count got to about 40,000. That is sickening and horrible. I hate Bush.

:fett:

Right... so how about letting the US take back the $350,000,000? Come on, its better than nothing. Every penny helps. Right, while we may have money to spend, well... I don't know... but like I said its better than nothing. If you were in trouble, would you grumble if a billioniar only gave you a thousand dollars? No, well.. you might, but a lot of people would simply be grateful for what they get, because they didn't have that money before! Im not justifying the US "lack of generosity" but, the fact is, we are sending money. Like I said, its better than nothing at all.

Also, Im not sure Bush has a huge say in how much money we are sending over there.

While it would have been nce if the USA had set the standard at the very start (with something impressive like a $1billion contribution) to me the most impressive thing has been the way everyone seems to be trying to work together to help. SO lets not get into a "we give more than you" argument.

The generosity of the public and even governments has been pretty impressive all round. I just hope it mostly gets to where it is needed.

(and that it doesn't evaporate like the promised Bam (iran) earthquke month. 1 Year later only about 10% of what was pledged has arrived. Apparently.

If they can wipe out the debt for all those countries (or even all third world countries) then that would probably have the biggest long term effect on people's lives and hopefully prevent many of the deaths through hunger and malaria as well.

Whatever happened the the "drop the debt" campaign? They were huge a year or so ago, and i thought a lot of governments agreed??? But now it is being suggested again, so i guess they didn't.

While it would have been nce if the USA had set the standard at the very start (with something impressive like a $1billion contribution) to me the most impressive thing has been the way everyone seems to be trying to work together to help. SO lets not get into a "we give more than you" argument.

The generosity of the public and even governments has been pretty impressive all round. I just hope it mostly gets to where it is needed.

(and that it doesn't evaporate like the promised Bam (iran) earthquke month. 1 Year later only about 10% of what was pledged has arrived. Apparently.

If they can wipe out the debt for all those countries (or even all third world countries) then that would probably have the biggest long term effect on people's lives and hopefully prevent many of the deaths through hunger and malaria as well.

Whatever happened the the "drop the debt" campaign? They were huge a year or so ago, and i thought a lot of governments agreed??? But now it is being suggested again, so i guess they didn't.

Exactly, I agree 100%.

Sure, its an aweful situation, a negative situation, but why be negative? Lets try to be positive about this whole thing. At least people are helping others a lot more right now. Its just sad that it takes 100 thousand deaths for people to start being nice.

Archived